dead car

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Before I start this post I'd like to thank all of the brave souls who helped me through a difficult time when you are stuck with a dead car and a baby in the middle of the Laguna Seca parking lot ....and again in the middle of nowhere on hwy 156. So thank you for your Esprit de Corps Ed Sims, Kevin Tanner, Shadowman, Dave Hellinge and everyone present at Laguna Seca.
Now here's the problem I was experiencing:
when the key was put into the ignition there would be either no chime sound or a continuous soft sound; when the key was turned one click, there would be no lights turning on the dashboard; and when the key was turned to the final position, the car would not start.
My initial assessment (which was wrong) was that the anti-theft system had 'blocked' the car and that a simple tap on the relays or unhook the battery cables would temporarily solve the problem. WRONG

What turned out to be the culprit was that the battery ground to the frame was painted over at the factory (probably because of rush) plus oxidation had set in thus causing irregular current between the battery and the ground thus 'freezing' and shutting down the electrical system of the car giving the impression that maybe the anti-theft system was to blame.IMG955227.jpg
IMG_5230.jpg
....no, my 18 month old daughter is not 'driving' the car..but she does know how to put the key into the ignition and say 'vroom vroom' lol
IMG955233.jpg

So....
1) please check your battery ground to the frame, undo the 10mm bolt and give a good sanding of the frame so that there is a good metal conduction between the frame and the ground.
2) always carry a toolset in your car or at least an adjustable wrench...Ed Sims walked 10,000 steps because I didn't have any...
:bang

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm glad it ended up being a simple fix even though it took a while to figure it out. There were a few people that stopped by to lend ideas, support or to try & help when we along the highway. You never know how many good people there are until you need them :)

Ed

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Goes to show that this isnt just a car club... Glad it all worked out and I love the, taking kids to the car show thing.... AWESOME!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
"GOLDEN RULE" , 1. Every 4 years replace the optima
2. Clean the ground connection with sand paper and I always sand the frame at the connector for a complete home run.
3. I use clear or nail polish clear over the connection bolt for moisture or condensation.
100,000 miles in a lot of GT's never ever had the issue if you did the above, now drive on!
Nice to see at least you don't have an original black top battery.
GTJOEYECOBOOST1314

Last edited:

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
yes, indeed...this is not a 'car club' but truly a family. gtjoey yes you are right and xcentric I may now take that extra precaution lol

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I had the same problem at Rally 9 when we were in Pahrump and I went by myself to get gas. Luckily the GTGuys were close by and by the time I had the trunk compartment out, they showed up I had the trunk compartment out and had just diagnosed a grounding problem. Dennis said the ground wire was not tight enough and really torqued it up. No problem since then, but I have added the "Howard" redundancy "just in case."

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Order below

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-dr/p-00934554000P

remove ratchet and 10mm socket (wrap in paper towel, there's lubricant in mechansm) put in mesh pocket in front of seat or behind seats.

(adj wrench or spanner cant get full grip)

It will happen again once every ~3yrs (usually in uneven parking lots, gas station islands, or driveway entry) when torsion unseats bolt in last thread.

Some like to use a star washer too.

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
So, since I have my original battery, I should change it out? Working fine.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Canibl, Any time my friend. Bart, unless you want the battery to leak ALL over your lower brackets and make a complete mess, put the black on the shelf for posterity and get a new red top if you want to stay with optima.
They typically implode at the 4 year mark and if too old they crack and the goop gets all over everything.
Many old threads on this the only difference is to replace the battery tray and brackets will cost a bit of money.
Not worth it IMHO
Good luck guys!
GTJOEYECOBOOST1314

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good info everyone!

Ed