CSX4289

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
A car that has always been at the top of my list, but always out of reach is a Shelby Cobra. The stories of Carol Shelby with his entrepreneurial, showman, used car salesman spirit was always something I could relate to. While visiting another forum member for his GT delivery, I spotted CSX4289 tucked away in a corner of his garage where it had been sitting for many years. Since that first day seeing it, I knew it was the car I had been looking for because it had all the specific criteria in a Cobra I wanted. Wanting as authentic ownership experience as possible, my car would have to be an Aluminum CSX 427 S/C with a Top-loader 4 speed, and of course dressed in Guardsman blue with Wimbledon white stripes.
The visceral driving experience of this car is like nothing else I’ve experienced. I would think the Apollo astronauts felt something similar sitting atop the mighty Saturn V. Anyway, this is the thread for my Cobra, let’s see where it goes... 😎0D309AA9-40C0-4888-99BC-1187478E55F2.jpeg07C14B75-AC6C-478A-B563-2F9C210C87E9.jpegB56BD715-1B23-4CF6-A810-75384F734C44.jpeg1C6CDB74-2889-459C-A4E7-33FDB9DDB31A.jpeg

Attachments

• 3BF8699E-F34E-46E7-B647-90031DDCC7C0.jpeg
    3BF8699E-F34E-46E7-B647-90031DDCC7C0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Shelby American has been very helpful with some of its history and build info.
75DBB120-B3FD-4874-9921-BE7AFF1F7919.jpeg4BD0E699-C0E4-4207-B18D-1F0E0D9A0571.jpegCC1ACAC0-BC21-4E56-B769-08F804C2ACE2.jpegF6386F19-100F-4367-A328-6FA73E457947.jpeg

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
A9D448DC-C72B-4C62-BE96-95FD9A233B52.jpeg
7A843E44-DE44-4B9D-89F6-EACA5DE52AF4.jpeg
64BC9F86-36B7-490F-BDB5-8902AB5A203A.jpeg5192E67D-8F8A-470B-ADE7-FA521AE96136.jpegD2E3C169-4960-4EDD-A1C8-B7A15C04A4A1.jpeg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You'll love it. Knowing what you know about the Ford GT's handling, just multiply the Cobra by 10. Especially with cold tires on cold pavement. It is incredibly easy to break the rear wheels loose especially when accelerating in a turn and even when just shifting up in gears. One time on an early spring day I'd stopped at a friend's house and just turned onto the highway and the rear end did a skip when shifting from 3-4 and I wasn't even being aggressive.

Reactions: Special K

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Spectacular car. Great choice of options.

Makes your GT350 look huge! 😄

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Congrats on the new Cobra. I remember back in 1976 with my Boss 302 and saw a car come up on my rear really fast. I had heard of the 427 Cobra but never had seen one. I dropped my Boss down a gear to get the rpms up. Waited for car behind me to come around other car to see if he wanted to go and then I saw the 427 badge. Realized it was 427 Cobra and put my car back in 4th gear and gave him a thumbs up.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Spectacular car. Great choice of options.

Makes your GT350 look huge! 😄
It does make it look a bit chunky...

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Congrats on the new Cobra. I remember back in 1976 with my Boss 302 and saw a car come up on my rear really fast. I had heard of the 427 Cobra but never had seen one. I dropped my Boss down a gear to get the rpms up. Waited for car behind me to come around other car to see if he wanted to go and then I saw the 427 badge. Realized it was 427 Cobra and put my car back in 4th gear and gave him a thumbs up.
Haha, that was probably a smart move! Even in 4th, just a little throttle will have you pulling away from everyone in no time.

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Congratulations! You checked all the boxes, and keep the pictures coming!

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
a 427 Cobra is unlike any other car. When I bought my original, it was amazing performance and still is 50 years later. Remember it is not designed for anything but going straight VERY FAST. Be careful as many originals were wrecked by unwary drivers in the day.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
a 427 Cobra is unlike any other car. When I bought my original, it was amazing performance and still is 50 years later. Remember it is not designed for anything but going straight VERY FAST.

I described a Cobra in patent-speak as "a system and method for moving an engine around a race track".

Be careful as many originals were wrecked by unwary drivers in the day.

As were Ford GTs.

Reactions: Special K and GTMD

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
a 427 Cobra is unlike any other car. When I bought my original, it was amazing performance and still is 50 years later. Remember it is not designed for anything but going straight VERY FAST. Be careful as many originals were wrecked by unwary drivers in the day.

They are also extremely uncomfortable. The seat-pedal offset gets tiring after a while. I asked Carroll about that and he said something like "I paid the drivers to win, not to be comfortable". I found that the threshold of discomfort was carefully timed to a tank of gas.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
My aluminum-body CSX4000 Cobra might very well be the most “thrilling to drive” car I own. Granted, I own a lot of old junk vehicles and I love every one of them, but I find the ergonomics of the Cobra quite acceptable, and the exhaust volume to be “just right”. Pedal box can be a bit toasty, I will concede.

Kevin, I’m anxious to hear what you think about your Avons- as I told you when we spoke, that really seems to be the way to go. My 20 year old BFGs gotta go!!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My aluminum-body CSX4000 Cobra might very well be the most “thrilling to drive” car I own. Granted, I own a lot of old junk vehicles and I love every one of them, but I find the ergonomics of the Cobra quite acceptable, and the exhaust volume to be “just right”. Pedal box can be a bit toasty, I will concede.

Kevin, I’m anxious to hear what you think about your Avons- as I told you when we spoke, that really seems to be the way to go. My 20 year old BFGs gotta go!!
Well, here’s the preliminary: they arrived today and are stickier than Sport Cup 2s. I planned on bringing the old wheels along with the new Avon’s to get mounted, but there’s one delay... I don’t think the spinners have been off since the car was new! 😂 So I ordered a “Spinner 911” and 7lb lead hammer from Cobra Valley to persuade them. I also purchased a special anti-seize designed for spinners. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Reactions: DakotaGT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well, here’s the preliminary: they arrived today and are stickier than Sport Cup 2s. I planned on bringing the old wheels along with the new Avon’s to get mounted, but there’s one delay... I don’t think the spinners have been off since the car was new! 😂 So I ordered a “Spinner 911” and 7lb lead hammer from Cobra Valley to persuade them. I also purchased a special anti-seize designed for spinners. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

First, if the spinners haven't been off for a while and there was no anti-seize on them then shoot a little WD40 around them. Then just keep whacking with the lead hammer on each wing around the circle over and over again. They will eventually let loose. IMPORTANT: Remember the right and left sides have opposite threads.

Be careful with the anti-seize. A very little goes a long way. I found this out on the first wheel. It squeezes out on the front and is very messy. My wheels were painted so I was able to clean it up without leaving any behind. I feared that if they had been the original metal that the gunk would have discolored them.

When tightening, put the spinner on and then tighten it to get it set, then pound around the circle again until it "sings". You'll know what I mean when I hear it.

If yours are safety wired just get the pliers and wire (.030?) from Harbor Freight. The pliers are the same ones that you pay lots more for and as often as you use them they'll last a lifetime. Steel wire is steel wire. Plus, if you tighten it correctly you don't need it anyway but it looks cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Special K and 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

What Tony said. I couldn’t believe how stubborn mine were too, and agree that they seriously might have never been off since new. They are much easier to get on and off now, with just a cleanup and tiniest amount of anti-sieze.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ps. The lead hammer from American hammer can be recast.

Reactions: 2112 and Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Ps. The lead hammer from American hammer can be recast.
Thanks for the info! I have a 5lb American coming. Nick Acton of ACE has also been a wealth of knowledge for me thus far.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
The funny thing was, I assumed they would knock right off since I would hear stories of people turning their cobra in one direction and the wheel going the other... and in the old racing footage, the car pulls into the pit and two whacks and the spinners fly off!

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am anxious to hear how the Avons transform the ride.

On a related note, I pray Avon survives Goodyear's take-over of Cooper.