CSX. Shelby Cobra

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
One of the cars high on my "someday" list has been a CSX- numbered 427 Cobra. Honestly though, I probably don't know as much as I should about them, before purchasing one. I am a very serious shopper though now, and I am ready to jump on the right car, after missing out on a couple of others. I just saw this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-Othe...9f04deec6&item=111405821638&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I know some of you on here are cobra owners and experts. If you don't mind, could you review this ad and see if anything jumps out at you? Seems like a reasonable price, if there is a little haggling. It is an aluminum car, which I have heard pros and cons about. I would be using the car like I use my GT- maybe 500-1000 miles/year, and the occasional car show.

Does anybody here have any knowledge or experience with Marino Motors in Florida? Or better yet, is anybody out there close enough to take a look at the car? Or have any suggestions for who to contact for a proper PPI?

Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That car has a good power train combo with the aluminum 427 and 5 speed. What is the asking price? Ask them for the build sheet and a video of a cold start/idle/and the car operating through the gears.

Oh, I forgot to add that you or someone you love will burn a calf at some point.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
They're asking for $130,000.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Buy it.

You really want the build sheet for the motor.

I will be in that area Tuesday for business and could look at the car after hours if the dealer will be accommodating.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I just left a message for the sales manager, with whom I spoke briefly yesterday. I will ask about Tuesday. Your generous offer is truly appreciated!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Looks good. Its a relatively low number CSX4000. I had 4044 for 14 years and while it was fun to start with, it had gremlins that got frustrating after a while. The price seems reasonable for an aluminum body and engine car. I can't tell from pics if it has a top and side windows or not but seems to have the holes in doors for windows, but not the clips etc for the top. The other thing that appears to be "missing" is that CSX originals have an oil "puke" tank on the firewall to recirculate the oil vapor and then collect the oil in it which you have to drain on occasion. This car does not have it, but has an oil breather cap at the rear of the motor. The cars run "hot" at slow speeds. Mine could not go in a parade or it would cook itself. Even with a 2 push fans and a sucker fan, the car would over heat terribly. Lastly, the foot boxes can get really hot in the summer on a cruise as the insulation is very thin and your feet are right next to the headers.

Sinovac's advice about the motor build sheet and a video of it starting a running are imperative.

As stated, be careful exiting the car after driving as you will get "snakebite." I had a number of people get burned despite my warning them to step well away from the car when entering or exiting if the headers were hot. I would ask if the car comes with a wheel hammer for taking off the knockoffs. If you don't have one, it should be a heavy brass (I think) so it does not bounce when you smash it. Also, always safety wire on the knockoffs.

Obviously I enjoyed the car or I would not have kept it for 14 years. It was very quick, but could get squarely easily given all the power and the car being about 2200 lbs. Finally they are LOUD and people are always attracted to them.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I just left a message for the sales manager, with whom I spoke briefly yesterday. I will ask about Tuesday. Your generous offer is truly appreciated!

Sent you a pm.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Very good info. Build sheet and video pending, and I have made a deposit to secure the car, pending video/build sheet review and viewing by Sinovac (thanks again!).

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
That is indeed a good price for an alloy bodied early CSX car. In addition to the build sheet you want to know who assembled the car as there can be great variability based on the builder. Once you have found out who assembled it, dig further into that persons reputation and try to find out speak to several others who have had cars done by the same builder.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I will verify, but unless I am mistaken, it was built at the Shelby facility in Vegas.

I suggest you join Club Cobra and check out their registration forum. The recent CSX cars are replicas, and titling them varies by state. Some places can be quite difficult, I'd see what you have to do in S.D. before buying.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I would verify the cooling ability of the system with only the 2 small pusher fans up front. I had a 427 powered Replica and found that the front fans did little to cool the engines in traffic. I ended up installing a Vintage air 18" fan assembly with shroud in order to keep the engine at a constant temperature in traffic.

John

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
All the early cars came thru Las Vegas from Shelby American but that does not mean the assembly was done there. For instance, although mine came via Las Vegas, the assembly was by a well respected builder in Freeport, NY (on Long Island).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I owned CSX4005LA (LA were built for Mexico). Mine was carbon fiber.

I would second what was said about registration in South Dakota. It's probably pretty lax compared to other places though. It's used so you also want to know how the current title registers it.

It's a very good price for an alloy car, which also makes me wonder if there are other "stories". You can hardly build a fiberglass car for that price these days. This is definitely a case where a PPI is needed. There are a bunch of Cobra people in Florida that would probably do it, but check the Cobra forum. Same about the dealer. The Cobra forum has been around a long time so the history part is there.

Also, you should join the Cobra forum at www.clubcobra.com, and you should also check prices on on www.cobracountry.com.

Cobras are very fun cars to drive but they are a drivers car - your passenger will find them uncomfortable and hot. Treat it like a motorcycle - you won't deliberately take a harley with no rain suit into a thunderstorm so bring rain gear.

The nuts and bolts on Cobras are special. I think they are alive and breed and make baby nuts and bolts at night while the car is in your garage. Bolts would fall out, and I could never ever find a missing one :)

It's also 60's technology on the engine, so tinkering will be a common evening/weekend event. But you have the Daytona so you probably know that :)

And you will burn your leg ("snake bite"), but usually not more than twice (same as hitting your head on the GT door :) ). I always warned passengers to step out over it. I also put a cover but even that wasn't enough.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I always instructed people to open the door and stand on the seat and then step out over the pipes...never had anyone burn themselves.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
All quite sound advice, I am sure. Thank you all for your input. As soon as I have a chance tonight, I will check out those websites, and call my courthouse tomorrow too to see about titling.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I found out the car was built in 2000 by All Pro Cars in Muncy, PA (an authorized Shelby dealer/installer). The dealer assures me that this is a "no stories" car, but I realize of course he may be disingenuous. He is trying to get the build sheet for me from All Pro. Also, I joined ClubCobra, and they haven't activated my account yet, so I haven't been able to get very far with their help, yet.

I found out the car was built in 2000 by All Pro Cars in Muncy, PA (an authorized Shelby dealer/installer). The dealer assures me that this is a "no stories" car, but I realize of course he may be disingenuous. He is trying to get the build sheet for me from All Pro. Also, I joined ClubCobra, and they haven't activated my account yet, so I haven't been able to get very far with their help, yet.

I think you can look at the Registration forum on Club Cobra without being a member. Also, you might check with SAAC and its registrar, who will have at least some history on the car.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Find out as much as you can about the builder. Are they still in business? Club Cobra is a wealth of information.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I think you can look at the Registration forum on Club Cobra without being a member. Also, you might check with SAAC and its registrar, who will have at least some history on the car.

Will do. Thanks.