Crack

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Found a nasty surprise while washing the GT on Sunday. You may want to give your wheels a close look every once in a while.

picture004bk5.jpg

http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2717&size=big&cat=500

For what it's worth, I don't recall hitting anything, and the other wheels are all fine. Just this one crack on the left rear wheel at 4,500 miles. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
From the look of it, it ought to be.

It's very obvious from the rest of the wheel that you didn't hit diddly.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Thanks for the heads up Waldo. With our roads in dire need of repair here in central kal you would think my wheels would have already fallen off. I'm going out to the garage right now to take a look. :eek

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
It's hard to tell from the photo but the wheels are painted and clear coated . Is it possible the coating may have separated? The wheel may have been touched up by someone at the factory and you maybe seeing a separation of the paint and or clear coat at a masking tape line.? The BBS wheels are forged. I'd be amazed if it's a crack.. But I can't tell from here ? :biggrin You could do a die penetrating test.. A local machine shop could do it with the wheel on the car.

5/7 update : I just looked at the hi resolution photo.. Yep, I'd say that's a crack ..:ack

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
It's hard to tell from the photo but the wheels are painted and clear coated . Is it possible the coating may have separated? The wheel may have been touched up by someone at the factory and you maybe seeing a separation of the paint and or clear coat at a masking tape line.? The BBS wheels are forged. I'd be amazed if it's a crack.. But I can't tell from here ? :biggrin You could do a die penetrating test.. A local machine shop could do it with the wheel on the car.

Good Idea.