Corvette Z06 vs. GT

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
So I took the Bon Durant School of Performance Driving (by Phoenix Firebird Raceway) Corvette Z06 course. In the Autocross- the timed course- I was shaving a couple of hundredths of a second off each subsequent trial in the Vette, and realized I had to try my GT. Terrified I was going to screw up and be slower, took off over 10% of my time- 5-6 seconds, running my GT. Moral of the story- GT's are a hell of a lot more fun.
Barry

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Did Bob see your car while you were there?

Bob was one of the drivers on the development of my FFR Cobra and took me for some "quick" laps in my own car. What fun!

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
Did Bob have the 2006-2007 Z06's? I think you may have been driving a C5 Z06, but maybe he got some of the C6 Z06's? The C6 Z06's are pretty nice.

I wrote an article about the Ford GT and new Z06. http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/article20060807.htm

Bart - Bob's a great guy and has done a lot for The Smith brothers and Factory Five over the years, but I don't think he had anything to do with the FFR Cobra development. Did he take you out in one of the FFR Spec Racers? That 'ol dude can still drive!

- Bill

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
FFCobra said:
...Bart - Bob's a great guy and has done a lot for The Smith brothers and Factory Five over the years, but I don't think he had anything to do with the FFR Cobra development. Did he take you out in one of the FFR Spec Racers? That 'ol dude can still drive!

- Bill

Bill, you are reading too fast! :biggrin I said the development of MY car and he took me out in MY car, not a factory or spec car.

Here's Bob in my car
fun.jpg

Here's me in my car :biggrin
fun.jpg

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
Cool, your FFR looks great! That's what I get for reading too fast, or blame it on Ohio schools.

- Bill

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
This is not quite on the same topic on which this thread was started but it agrees with the title Z06 vs. GT....
I was driving my GT peacefully on the highway last night, when a modded Z06 pulls up next to me and revs its engine....I leave it alone and stick with my 70mph.. he does this 2-3 times and so I gave in... we did a 70-140mph and he beat me by a car length (I have a stock GT with full FRPP exhaust) but I was in the wrong gear oops. So we do it again and as we were climbing to 140mph we were side by side and then I just see him drop way behind me. It turns out he blew up his motor! ouch! Anyway, Z06s are fast, no doubt about it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cannibal is a savage

Cannibal - Geez, I left you last night in the company in of a beautiful young blonde woman & then you took her street racing! I thought you were going clubbing! What am I going to do with you? What happened to that little innocent 10 yr old kid I used to know? I may have to take your keys away!

Ed

PS I bet you also blew the eardrums out on that Z06 pilot with your new exhaust!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Well I also had a hypothetic encounter with a New Zo6. His has some mods by A&A corvette and makes and extra 50rwhp over stock.

In my bone stock GT at the time. The gear selection is a big deal. They are geared better than we are for this kind of encounter. You are better off one down from where you think you should be and make the extra shift. In my dream was like Canibl. He got me off the roll at about 70 and pulled me real quick. I was catching up till about 120, then it was even till about 135ish. After that, the GT started to pull away to 170 the Zo6 was way back. I thought he must have let off. But he said no, I could not believe it, I was at 165ish and you were an 1/8 mile ahead. You must have done something, did you do the pulley?, how fast did you hit. Oh about 175, the bottle works good , eh.

The only bottle in or on the car was Dasani.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, the GT is geared poorly for street encounters. 2nd pulls to 90/97 and 3rd to 130/140. Most street encounters in people's dreams start at 60-70. In 2nd you have to shift really soon and lose time, in 3rd you don't start off in your power band and lose.

Maybe in your street racer dreams, you should call stillens for a 3.9 gearset.

The speeds are shown for 6500/7000 rpm redlines.

Canibal I know you were just having a dream about this event and it really didn't happen. You should edit and correct that in your post.

Last edited:

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
well yes it obviously was a dream and nothing else...actually it was more of a nightmare not being able to catch up with that z06. Could this dream be a metaphor for something that is currently happening in my life? Maybe it's that job promotion that I'm desperately chasing after but I can't get :slap

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
well yes it obviously was a dream and nothing else...actually it was more of a nightmare not being able to catch up with that z06. Could this dream be a metaphor for something that is currently happening in my life? Maybe it's that job promotion that I'm desperately chasing after but I can't get :slap

Too deep for me, turn off Dr. Phil, take a shot of Leno and fire up the GT in the morning:biggrin

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
ZO6 in place of retired GT.

I have decided to not track my GT anymore for several valid reasons. I looked at an 01 ZO6 with 850HP as a replacement, asking 40k. Considered an older Porsche Turbo as well. See video below, iniput appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZARqdiDCM

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have decided to not track my GT anymore for several valid reasons. I looked at an 01 ZO6 with 850HP as a replacement, asking 40k. Considered an older Porsche Turbo as well. See video below, iniput appreciated.

HOLY CROW!!! Can you imagine that same setup on an '07 LS-7?:eek

In '08 or '09 (whenever it is) we won't NEED to imagine.:willy:willy:willy

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
I wrote an article about the Ford GT and new Z06. http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/article20060807.htm
- Bill

Bill, great job on the write up of the Z06 & FGT...well done!!!!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca

PM me with a phone number and I can put you in contact with a friend that has a very similar set up. I think this is one of Andy's kits/creations from A&A corvette in Ventura, Ca. You can look him up and speak directy with Andy on what you woul duse th ecar for. Give him the link so he can see it. He is a straight shooter.

As for the C5 Zo6 as a track car. It may be the best value at the high end. I have over 6,000 very hard track miles on mine and crew for a T1 guy. They are reliable and predictable, easy to drive at the limit. Parts are pretty cheap. I will note that I have yet to be beat by a C6 Z at the track, I guess most owners are not willing to drive them that hard yet.

My Friend has both the Supercharged Z16 like in the vid and the New C6 with bolt on's. The C5 blower car is faster, not by a lot, but faster. We have run them side by side on testing, him in one and me in the other and vise versa. All roll ons from 50 ish. Gearing is stock in both.

BTW the tires he is tearing up in the vid look like Nitto R2's.

Personally I like N/A cars as track cars. But there was a guy running a Whipple style blower on a C5 at Laguna Seca I ran into. He was much faster through the straight parts. He could not use all the power on corner exit though. Tire limited.

I can tell you about replacement parts and intervals we use for the T1 car if you would like.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
retired GT - no way

I wasn't impressed with the video. How is it on the track? A rubber brake lined, front engined, etc car is ok but it isn't a GT. It never will be!

Ed

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Bill, great job on the write up of the Z06 & FGT...well done!!!!

+1:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bill, great write up.... BRAVO!