Coolant Drain

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
1. No, it doesn't make any sense to me to pour/rinse with distilled water. The engine block is holding a fair volume of coolant so this process would hardly be effective.

2. For the RADKIT, you attach to the top of the expansion tank and draw a vacuum by using a high-flow compressor. Once you have a sufficient vacuum drawn (gauge is in the green zone), then you close the valve and switch the tube to a pick-up tube that is inserted to the bottom of a full 50/50 coolant mixture jug. Slowly open the valve and the coolant will be drawn into the car. We keep a funnel also in the top of the new coolant bottle and we keep adding new coolant as the RADKIT is drawing it out from the bottom.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Sorry Kendall I didn't see your reply, but was naughty and did a gargle of the two systems.
Did 3 (pic) for engine and 2 for SC and got more diluted each time.

Im not touching block plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sorry Kendall I didn't see your reply, but was naughty and did a gargle of the two systems.
Did 3 (pic) for engine and 2 for SC and got more diluted each time.

Im not touching block plugs.
During prep for the last Salt Lake City Rally, spent time with my Ford dealers GT tech (maintains about ten GT /plus GT500's, etc) changing all the fluids, servicing A/C , and other prep. . I had brought about 25 gallons of distilled water plus the require coolant concentrate for the change out of both systems. We flushed both systems using a Snap On pressure system( mainatined about 2-3 psi) until we where draining clear water from the radiator. Coolant hoses in front of engine and large hose from Rad where also disconnected for draining. Drained fresh water out to allow concentrate to be added, then topped off with distilled using the Snap On vacuum system. (Radkit). DId we completely flush the system not sure..dont recall if we had pulled the thermostat or not (Something the tech would have done, not I). What was accessed had fresh distilled water and coolant. Temps before and after where 170 normal, under 200 spirited. YMMV.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Bringing back this thread for a question: what time intervals are most using to completely change engine/SC coolant fluid? I changed completely both in 2012. Put a few thousand miles since then and fluids visually look good.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Well, what ever makes you feel good. HA!!
I have gone 15 years on iron block classic cars driven 500 - 1000 miles per year. The drained coolant looked near new, which means no corrosion. I suppose with all aluminum blocks and components, you may be able to go indefinitely if driven little. I don't know why the corrosion inhibitors would break down much with all aluminum and little driving. Although, now that you are thinking about it, maybe now is the time. Better safe than sorry. Plus, you get to tell everyone that you did it.

Last edited: