Congratulations to Bruce Cambern!

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
Bruce Cambern has been invited to compete in the 2010 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational in his 2005 Ford GT. Those of you familiar with this event may remember that Bruce's Shelby Cobra won this event last year. Last year's event was televised on SPEED and we're hoping this year's event will be as well. Good luck Bruce!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

H

HHGT

Bruce Cambern has been invited to compete in the 2010 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational in his 2005 Ford GT. Those of you familiar with this event may remember that Bruce's Shelby Cobra won this event last year. Last year's event was televised on SPEED and we're hoping this year's event will be as well. Good luck Bruce!

Jim McIlvaine

Hey Jim thanks for the info. On an unrelated topic, does Optima make a battery replacement for GEM electric cars? None of the local vendors have a clue.. Email me pls. at Geoviz@gmail.com

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know how Bruce did this year? No mention on Club Cobra either.

Edit: He did post his result here:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107567

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I got to meet him, at SEMA, he was by his car taping promo spots next to his car out in one of the parking lots, had no idea who he was, just figured out he drove the GT, talked at least 45 min, cool guy! Great stories, and hired at least one very well known GT team member to Ford.

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
I know Bruce was disappointed with his performance, but I think he did extremely well, finishing third overall. You can see the full results here.

Jim McIlvaine

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Bruce is a class guy. He was a good manager at Ford Motor Company. Althought I never worked directly for Bruce, many of us had the opportunity to work with him and with the Departments the he was in charge.
Andy (AJB)

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
True Story

I have worked for Bruce on a few Race Project.
And on a related team @ Ford.

He is a no no-noncents hard-core racer who knows how to make things happen.

The winning Cobra from last year’s event is just one example.

It is a one owner Original 427 car.
With an all aluminum side oilier. With close to 800 Hp N/A.
Fully custom made control arms with corrected chassis geometry.
And Penske dampers by T&A Shocks LLC.

At autocross events Bruce must turn the side pipes over to direct the spent gases under the car. As the exhaust pressure blasting out of the pipes. Will Blow over the orange cones.

Bruce was asked back to the 2010 event as last years Champ.
But only if he bring a slower car this time.

Last edited:

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
Since this event is supposed to be about street cars, rule changes were made from the '09 to '10 event, to help focus more on the spirit of the event, including who was allowed to drive the car (owners or builders only) and minimum treadwear requirements (no competition radials, no R compound and a minimum treadwear of 200) for vehicles competing in the event. You can read the full rules here.

Bruce's Cobra is a fantastic machine and may technically be "street-legal," but as you mentioned, his exhaust noise alone would collect tickets in many municipalities. Given the rule changes from last year's event to this year's, Bruce's GT may have been a faster (or at least more consistent) choice for him. We're always looking for more variety in this event, so I would encourage other GT owners to consider competing!

Jim McIlvaine

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Here is Bruce's car note the side skirts for downforce and extended front splitter....

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 948