Clutch bleeder valve nut size

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Anyone know what the flair nut wrench size is to be used when bleeding the clutch? Just did my brakes this weekend, but the size I used on my brakes (7/16) wouldn't fit the clutch. Is it metric?

Magic

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So far every nut I turned was metric. I don't know if any SAE sizes are used on the car.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
just did mine.. 10 mm

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Thanks

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Ok, I am being lazy by not looking it up but where is the clutch bleeder fitting ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ok, I am being lazy by not looking it up but where is the clutch bleeder fitting ?

There are two of them, one at the clutch slave cylinder near the transaxle the other behind center access panel behind the mac sub.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Thanks BlackICE

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks BlackICE

You are welcome, anytime!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
There are two of them, one at the clutch slave cylinder near the transaxle the other behind center access panel behind the mac sub.

From under the clamshell, look at the back of the firewall, down low to the right of the SC belt. You'll need a 6' length of 1/4" vinyl tubing for the bleed.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
If any still don’t know where to look:

http://1fordgt.com/2012/FGT/CLUTCHBLEEDER01.jpg

http://1fordgt.com/2012/FGT/CLUTCHBLEEDER02.jpg

Pete S.

. . . And I think a 10mm on the bleeder, as mentioned above, and an 11mm on the brake caliper bleeders.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I changed my clutch fluid today. I was surprised how dirty it was, but it’s nice and clear now.

After finishing the bleeding procedure, I was a little concerned since my clutch wouldn’t return to the fully up position. Didn’t make sense to me since it was full of fluid and no air bubbles. I’m sure glad I bought the Shop Manual. The manual said after bleeding the clutch I need to “push on the clutch pedal 5 short pushes followed by 2 fully depressed pushes and then to repeat this procedure 10 times.” Well it worked and now my clutch pops all the way up when I release it. Didn’t add any more fluid so I don’t know what is going on inside mechanically, but it worked. Thought someone might find this useful.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I have a question why not just bleed the farthest point? Is it necessary to bleed both?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes you have to bleed both. The one on the firewall is a high point and traps air.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Stupid question, which one to bleed first, or does it not matter?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The one on the firewall first.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It is VERY rare that you will need to bleed the one on the firewall at all.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Stupid question, which one to bleed first, or does it not matter?

Follow instr in manual. Firewall first.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
omg, r u serious, the firewall one looks impossible to get to... is there any type of trick, plan on using a motive power bleeder.

thanks
kurt

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
It is VERY rare that you will need to bleed the one on the firewall at all.

It is very rare that YOU would need to bleed the firewall port. Your experience with the GT making it such :)

For the rest of us mere mortals that quickly forget how small the clutch master cylinder reservoir is and get air in the system instead of out the first try.....well....first the firewall then the slave.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
omg, r u serious, the firewall one looks impossible to get to... is there any type of trick, plan on using a motive power bleeder.

thanks
kurt

Its actually not as bad as it looks. From the driver side leaning over and doing it mostly by feel after studying the situation. Closed end wrench on first, attach the bleed hose with other end in container of fluid while significant other takes perfect instruction on pedal position....a few marrage limiting words later, it was done. Not so bad. Slave cylinder is pretty easy.