Clunk behind passenger seat over bumps

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Getting a loud clunk when driving over a bump (right side) at any speed above say 15mph. Had my daughter listen for it, she said it seemed to be located behind her seat on the left side. I just had the rear passenger side shock replaced (leaking) so it shouldn’t be that. Anyone hazard a guess what I may be looking for?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Check the end links (ball joints) on the sway bars. The sound will travel through the hollow frame tube. Had the same problem years ago. We wired the GT for sound (6 sensors) and found the noise came from the left front link. Could have sworn the noise came from the engine compartment ... right behind the passenger seat.

Reactions: BM SoCal

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Check the end links (ball joints) on the sway bars. The sound will travel through the hollow frame tube. Had the same problem years ago. We wired the GT for sound (6 sensors) and found the noise came from the left front link. Could have sworn the noise came from the engine compartment ... right behind the passenger seat.
Sounds similar, thanks

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
could be sway bar bushingsScreen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.30.15 PM.png

Reactions: BM SoCal

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
I had a similar noise, I found it to be the ac lines banging on the frame, located right behind the passenger seat in the engine compartment.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Would bet on one of the sway bar links.
All this stuff is starting to age.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Have you checked that all the screws are in holding the belly pans on?

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Have you checked that all the screws are in holding the belly pans on?
Kendall recently changed the oil so I’d bet they’re all there and screws aligned in same position. Thanks though.

if I hit a bump with drivers side tires There’s no noise, only on right side.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since the sway bar is connected to both sides, it should clunk whether you go over a bump or uneven ground on either side. Does it clunk when you go over a speed bump, where both wheels go up and down together?