Climate Control Issue

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents:

While driving home from Atlanta, I noticed an issue with Climate Control in my 2005GT.
Fortunately, the A/C blows cold (thank god) through the main forward facing vents.

I did however notice the rotary control that allows you to select if air blows thru lower vents, 'regular' forward facing vents, or dash top (defog) vents doesn't seem to work. No matter where I rotate it to, it still blows thru dash face vents.

Any advice appreciated....

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
from my own experience, sometimes you have to cycle the control knob back and forth between the
direction function you want. the controls doors are operated with small servo motors and sometimes
get stuck or are just slow to respond. same with temperature settings. jmo

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
or the set screw on the knob needs to be tightened... didn't I read that on the forum here once?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
This is the thread I was thinking of. Different rotary control, but could be same issue:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for reply. Knob seems to be attached and turning properly. Doesn't spin forever, fortunately...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Doesnt the foam tape on the air directional door break down, gets sticky, which causes the flapper door to get stuck in one position? Or something like that?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Thats too bad they put the thingy is under the console, mine is loose also, but it still will turn lock to lock....I just wish I could tweak it a little tighter.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Keep cycling it and it may come back to life. The doors tend to stick if not used regularly.

If the set screw was loose the knob would spin 360.

Exercise all controls regularly.

Reactions: 2112

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Doesnt the foam tape on the air directional door break down, gets sticky, which causes the flapper door to get stuck in one position? Or something like that?
I've had the foam tape fail and started to hear an HVAC door rattle when the duct direction knob is turned all the way. I keep it just off max so it doesn't rattle. too lazy to get under the dash and repair properly! lol

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure where to look for the foam tape. Right now, air blows fine out vents facing driver, but won't go to defog vents on dash top or under dash.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I will second the experience with sticky damper from lack of use. My GT works fine, but I have had damper doors/servos get stuck from lack of use. To free them up, I keep switching the control knob to a setting every 15 seconds or so while driving, cycling to all settings. It can sometimes take an hour or more of switching back and forth to free them up, not always that long. I now cycle the switch to all positions a few times each year, which sometimes means each time I drive a car.

Reactions: 2112