Chrome door sills

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
My 05 FGT has some scuffing on the chrome as you enter the car on the door jam. Has anyone found a way to polish them back up without making this issue worse? Looking for ideas!

Mike

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think they are polished stainless steel. They are glued down and cannot be removed without damage. You could try polishing them in place buy may do damage to the surrounding area, or make them look even worse.

New ones are available from any Dealer or Torrie.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I use a metal polish for stainless and polished aluminum.
Use an applicator that's soft, not terry cloth. Diaper or micro fiber for application and wipe down.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I applied some blue tape around the areas I didn't want to buff, then used a Dremel Tool with and some stainless polish. My results were about a 9 on a 1 to 10. However then went out and purchased 2 additional spare sets just in case.:thumbsup

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Shadowman Clearbra'd my new ones when the rest of the car was done. Now it is just a peel and reapply.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Shadowman Clearbra'd my new ones when the rest of the car was done. Now it is just a peel and reapply.

That is what I did to my originals also. I then bought a set from 321 but they look too nice to put down. Here they are sitting in place but not applied. For now they are in my garage display case.

Attachments

• _11_04_2012_632gt.jpg
    _11_04_2012_632gt.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 314
  • _11_04_2012_643gt.jpg
    _11_04_2012_643gt.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 299

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Damn, those do look good.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I just left the factory tape on mine when it was delivered new to me. While it has a blue tint and sonewhat opaque it protects from the scuffs. I would think the same would hold true for clear bra on them.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Myyellowc5,
Those look great. Very sharp!

Mike

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I clear filmed mine.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I clear filmed mine.

+1

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I just left the factory tape on mine when it was delivered new to me. While it has a blue tint and sonewhat opaque it protects from the scuffs. I would think the same would hold true for clear bra on them.

I left the factory tape on mine but when it finally started showing some wear I pulled it off and cannot get the stain off from the glue from the tape

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I left the factory tape on mine but when it finally started showing some wear I pulled it off and cannot get the stain off from the glue from the tape
Did you try WD40?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yep, WD40, B12, Goo Off. Its not sticky residue its like a stain

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I left my factory tape on thinking what a great way to protect the sill. Big mistake. About six months ago they were peeling at the corners so I thought I'd just pull it off and put some clear film on them. What a night mare. Left that glue residue others are talking about and it took me about four hours to clean them up. I think I used goo be gone or something like that. Then I used a polish that I have been using for years that I get from performanceunlimited.com. Think the guys name is Randall Thomas and it is the best metal polish I have found. No affiliation. Mine did have the discoloration that steved57 mentioned, but it came out. They look like mirrors now.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I left my factory tape on thinking what a great way to protect the sill. Big mistake. About six months ago they were peeling at the corners so I thought I'd just pull it off and put some clear film on them. What a night mare. Left that glue residue others are talking about and it took me about four hours to clean them up. I think I used goo be gone or something like that. Then I used a polish that I have been using for years that I get from performanceunlimited.com. Think the guys name is Randall Thomas and it is the best metal polish I have found. No affiliation. Mine did have the discoloration that steved57 mentioned, but it came out. They look like mirrors now.

Thanks for the info as I will give this a try

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Then I used a polish that I have been using for years that I get from performanceunlimited.com. Think the guys name is Randall Thomas and it is the best metal polish I have found.

This stuff?
http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_chemicals/metalpolish.html

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Yup, that's the stuff. I've been using it for years now and have not found anything that works as well. You have to shake it before using, and it seems to separate more as it ages, but still seems to work well. I use it with a micro fiber towel when working on shiny stainless. Only thing it does not seem to work as well on is brass. Had better luck with Brasso for that. Worked really well on aluminum and stainless.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Cheers. Thanks