ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I’m sorry it’s taken a couple days for me to get to this but when I returned from the Texas Mile I was so tired I couldn’t think straight.

I planned to leave for the Mile early Wednesday morning as I was trailering my GT and the distance was over 1500 miles. A flat tire greeted my attempt to hook up the trailer and delayed my departure for several hours. Two full days of driving had me arriving in Goliad in time to get my car tech inspected and turn in my paperwork on Thursday evening. I was stopped at the entrance to the airport by a Mile official who asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to park near Jason Stevens at the 1 mile mark. “You talking about Mullet?” he asked. Yeah, that’s him. Everybody seemed to know Mullet and mentioning his name made everyone more cooperative. Jason helped get me parked in front of Apollo’s motor home, next to the giant rig of Mark H. After my tech inspection I loaded my car back into the trailer which was a good move because every morning all of the cars outside were soaked with a heavy layer of dew. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Beeville as my Ford Expedition pulling the little aluminum Trailex lacked the sumptuous sleeping and kitchen accommodations of most of my fellow members rigs. MJ was there and she joined Veronica and myself for dinner.

When I arrived back at the airfield early the next morning Ray Hoffman and his entourage were on site. Most of our members know who Ray Hoffman is, but for those who don’t, Ray has proudly flown the Ford GT flag at numerous events with cars that have pushed the envelope over the last couple years. His Heffner Performance twin turbo Ford GT won the Car and Driver Zero to 200 to Zero shoot out and was on the cover of that magazine some months back. A couple years ago his yellow GT set a Texas Mile and Ford GT record and was the first to exceed 220 mph at the Texas Mile. Ray’s flat black monster GT made quite a stir at Rally IV. And cars aside, this giant of a man is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. I seldom see him when he’s not wearing his trademark smile.

Our fearless leader, David Bannister, had slugged his way down to Goliad by driving a Toyota Yaris rental car all the way from Denver after several flights had been canceled due to bad weather.

Jason Heffner and his crew were working feverishly to put everything together as Ray’s car had never been on a Dyno and they were still working out a tune. Hey, if you want to go 250 in the Mile in an untested car, what better way to sort the bugs out than by bombing around narrow sand covered access roads around the perimeter of the airfield!!!!

Early Saturday morning Soroush, Kumar, Tomy Hamon, NardoGT, Doctor V-8, and a host of other members showed up. Quite a family reunion.

While my Heffner TT GT was being built in Florida last December, I spent many hours examining and photographing Ray’s Yellow GT. I discussed it at length with Jason Heffner over dinner and asked him who would be driving it at the Texas Mile. I really wanted Ray to drive the car, but Jason told me there would probably be a professional driver in it at the mile. My first question to Jason when I ran into him at the Texas Mile, was, “Who is going to drive Ray’s yellow GT?” I was jacked up when he told me that Ray would be doing the driving. Ray is a hell of a stick and I believe that the best hired professional wouldn’t be much of an improvement. And for those of us in attendance, as well as countless friends following this event on the Internet, it was twice as much fun watching our buddy do the driving.

The atmosphere in the Hoffman paddock was electric. Even Veronica was so caught up in the event she was smiling like a little girl on her first trip to Disneyland. Technicians studying laptops, floor jacks & air wrenches, and half a dozen mechanics attending to a myriad of details all made for a scene very similar to being in the pits at a Formula 1 race. After every one of Ray’s runs we would gather in the lounge of his semi-truck race rig to watch the videos. Simultaneously, his computer technician was downloading the data logs from the run and studying everything in great detail, cylinder by cylinder, temperatures and pressures, spark advance and mixture, boost levels and time to various distances. It was the coolest thing ever. Outside the rig, at least one crew member was always manning the giant gas barbecue grill where an assortment of great tasting food was constantly available. Ray’s little boy kicked a soccer ball around outside under the watchful eye of his mom Jenna who made sure he didn’t get run over by one of the many four wheelers dashing around outside.

Run by run, Jason Heffner dialed things up and Ray was running faster and faster. The entire Ford GT family stopped everything and stood at attention when Ray came to the line. We were all like Little League parents watching our favorite son on the pitcher’s mound. His success was our success. Expectations at the start of the weekend were modest with this untested car, but as Ray drew closer and closer to the world record, we all started to wonder if it was possible. Clearly, the car was capable of speeds far in excess of 253 mph in the Mile, even in its current fairly crude state.

Veronica had a flight to catch out of San Antonio, so I had to leave at noon on Sunday. Dave Bannister sent me a text after every one of Ray’s runs and even while driving my Expedition, it was still incredibly exciting. When Veronica landed in Phoenix I was headed west on Interstate 10 and she called me the moment her plane touched down. She didn’t ask how I was doing or how far I had made it. All she wanted to know was, “How did Ray do on his last run?” Outstanding, far beyond the weekend goals, but 3 mph shy of a world record.

And so, to Ray Hoffman, Jason Heffner, & the entire team......you put on a hell of a show at the Texas Mile. It takes some major stones to pilot an untested car to 250 mph, and Ray drove with the courage and heart of a lion. But he finished every run with the smile of a little boy.

The 2010 Texas Mile was only the beginning, and I'm sure that with the information learned last weekend, there are far greater things to come from the Hoffman-Heffner Team.

From all of us who have enjoyed your hospitality and your friendship, thank you. I think you already know Ray, that every time you leave the line, we are all riding with you. Godspeed and all the best my friend.

Chip

PS – The photo below is my favorite from the weekend as well. In the next day or two I’ll write about my drive at the Mile.

Attachments

• Chip & Ray.jpg
    Chip & Ray.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
No wonder you looked like a race car driver, you stayed at the Holliday in Express. :biggrin

Great story, thanks for sharing the details.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chip, As always your narration of Rays events are perfectly written. Even if you weren't there , now you know everything that took place as if your were there. What a great experience I had being there on Saturday with you and Veronica watching the action. This past weekend is just the beginning of many furture runs by Ray in his GT and you were right Chip, noone could have driven with more purpose than Ray with that big grin on his face, what a gentleman. Well done Chip, you'll be coming back to Texas where the Bluebonnets grow alongside the TEXAS MILE. Tomy

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
How were the weather conditions for this event? I was wondering what the wind(direction), temps were. Seems like a lot better conditions than last summer!

Pace Car

Aug 6, 2007
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tomy,

Thanks for putting in that special order of Bluebonnets; I know you did that just for me!

- V.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
great times!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
great write up.

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
Very well written.

I met Ray at the 07 event when they did 222 mph and he was very down to earth. Gary Javo was driving and I actually talked more with thim than Ray at the time but since have been following his exploits here on this site.

Aug 25, 2006
Very nice Chip

Thank you

Shadowman

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Gentlemen,

Our fearless leader, David Bannister, had slugged his way down to Goliad by driving a Toyota Yaris rental car all the way from Denver after several flights had been canceled due to bad weather.

Dave, your choice of rentals vehicles is rather alarming. I assume that you opted for x-tra insurance ?!? :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Dave, your choice of rentals vehicles is rather alarming. I assume that you opted for x-tra insurance ?!?

I stuck gas pedal wouldn't bother Dave. He always has the pedal to the metal!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Yep. Great weekend.

We're all rooting for Ray to break the world record.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Dave, your choice of rentals vehicles is rather alarming. I assume that you opted for x-tra insurance ?!? :biggrin

He said that was the only thing available as a one way rental. :lol

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Fantastic Write Up Chip!!! I wish you could have seen everyone bouncing off the ground as you pulled through the mile marker and the 220 MPH came over the display screen!!! What an incredible group of people that are pulled together by this amazing car...
I really enjoyed spending time with all the GT Family at the event.
Thanks again for the comments my friend!
Ray :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great post Chip. Thanks for sharing the experience.!!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very well written Chip. Congratulations to everyone there. The bar just gets higher and higher.:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Thanks for the great write up. I can't imagine how great it was there because it was damn exciting refreshing the thread checking for updates on everyone. A friend told me the Texas Mile is the Super Bowl of Mile events. :thumbsup

Got a feeling I would rather be at this Super Bowl rather than the other one. :lol :cheers

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
Chip, No doubt you have a way with words. I was getting more and more excited as I read each line. Thanks for the awesome post, and thanks for taking the time to write it so well!
I felt like I was there wiht the ahir raising on my arms!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
He said that was the only thing available as a one way rental. :lol

Perhaps he took advantage of the current "fix" - sheet of aluminum foil placed against the firewall/under the hood - keeps the cosmic rays from affecting the drive-by-wire throttle system. :eek

Hate to see anything happen to the captain here.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Well written, as always, Chip. Great seeing you there!

Sanjay