changing the battery

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
It won't mess up anything except the "Ready Status" of the various sensors, which will require a drive cycle to reset. Not an issue in non-inspection Florida. You will also lose radio presets, of course. By the way, I don't think a battery maintainer will work to prevent losing the sensor status during a battery change. Most maintainers will shut down if they don't detect battery voltage. Be careful: It's a long, heavy reach to remove and replace that battery. Don't use the fender as a fulcrum.

Reactions: 2112 and dreimer

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Thanks Howard! My maintainer is one of the "smart" ones, so I am guessing you are right on that. I was worried about the tune, but I am guessing (hoping!) that won't be affected. Much appreciated!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My first time replacing the battery (Optima 25). I have a pulley and tune, cat delete, and live in Florida (so no inspection). Can I just replace the battery through the normal process? I see all the comments on hooking up battery tender, etc. but it seems that is more focused on passing smog inspection. I drive my car relatively often (about 4K miles in past 1.5 yrs). I just want to make sure I don't mess up anything with the tune and engine functionality.

Just change the battery. If you have cat delete you're already probably going to fail emissions (if you have it) since the tune for it will most likely disable the O2 sensors or you get a check engine light.

It won't mess up anything except the "Ready Status" of the various sensors, which will require a drive cycle to reset. Not an issue in non-inspection Florida. You will also lose radio presets, of course. By the way, I don't think a battery maintainer will work to prevent losing the sensor status during a battery change. Most maintainers will shut down if they don't detect battery voltage. Be careful: It's a long, heavy reach to remove and replace that battery. Don't use the fender as a fulcrum.

A battery tender will retain the readiness status indicators. Just be very careful to tape off the positive battery terminal so it doesn't short to ground. I had the external kit that connects to the terminals but used the Ford unit that plugs into convenience outlet. All settings were retained.

I concur about the reach.

Reactions: 2112 and dreimer

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If you’re not worried about passing an emissions test immediately after swapping out the battery, then you can just take out the old one and put in the new one.

Reactions: dreimer

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Thanks - switched it out no problem. No dash lights or anything. And it is a deep reach - lucky I have long arms!

Reactions: extrap