change oil in ford gt 2005

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Im currently at the building oil pressure phase
Ive turned the key on... hit the go peddle and pushed on the clutch peddle and then crank on the start button for 20 sec.

Staring at the oil pressure gauge and don't see it move up in pressure.
Ive done this step 3 times and nothing.

Not sure what to do outside of just starting the engine normally.

Stu

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Im currently at the building oil pressure phase
Ive turned the key on... hit the go peddle and pushed on the clutch peddle and then crank on the start button for 20 sec.

Staring at the oil pressure gauge and don't see it move up in pressure.
Ive done this step 3 times and nothing.

Not sure what to do outside of just starting the engine normally.

Stu
How long did you let it crank each time? My first go, I think I held it for a very uncomfortably long time and nothing. Thought for sure I was going to kill the battery. Did it a second time and it finally built oil pressure fairly quickly.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I've been changing my oil annually since 2007 and I have never been able to get the gauge to register pressure despite extended cranking. Don't sweat it. Ten quarts, crank and drive.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I have always questioned the value of the "priming" technique with the FGT. It always seemed like a LOT of cranking over without oil pressure, whereas the pressure builds nearly instantly when the engine is started, so I concluded it was better to just fill things up, start the engine and watch the gauge.

Reactions: analogdesigner

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I cranked like I thought the battery was going to crank out 20+ sec x 3

I just felt a bunch of GT bro hugs in those replies
Thanks for the reasurance

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Sometimes when cranking the engine, the battery voltage is too low for the oil pressure gauge to "boot up." I confirmed this a long time ago using an external power supply.

Reactions: DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sometimes when cranking the engine, the battery voltage is too low for the oil pressure gauge to "boot up." I confirmed this a long time ago using an external power supply.

ah... that makes a lot of sense- mystery solved. Thank you.