CF Race Wing

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Who makes them and what do they cost? pros/cons on each?

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
CF wings

Who makes them and what do they cost? pros/cons on each?

We don't presently make one, but could develop such.

You may already know basic aerodynamic principles, but I'll throw this out anyway;
In stock configuration, the aero balance of the car is really good. If you add downforce at the rear, you will want to add downforce at the front (which means a longer front splitter).

Also - what is the end game? Top speed or lap times.
Adding downforce increases drag that will limit top speed. Downforce serves to increase cornering speed, so it reduces lap times.
Is the wing adjustable? Pitch will affect downforce and drag.

Do consider the structual integrity of whatever you go with; both the wing structure and the mounting.
You don't want to end up like Mario Andretti when his tail collapsed cornering at Indy.
That was a pretty clear lesson on the contribution of downforce!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fubar, please contact StormCat. He has it all figured out. He has access to the components you want and has wind tunnel tested them. He has already been on the track on numerous occasions. Look for pics of his tungsten with the wing and extended front spoiler.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Tecnocraft has a wing they developed for the Gallardo - then adapted to the Ford GT at Joyrides request. I've had a chance to spend some time with the wing both on the street & on the track. Here's the areo setup-

All components from TECNOCRAFT-

Front splitter
Side splitter
Diffuser
Wicker
"Race" Wing

On the STREET - You will notice a slight increase in fuel consumption due to the additional drag, however this penalty is overcome by the high numbers of mostly attractive women who apparently love a big wing and cannot keep themselves from waving, yelling, whistling, cat calling, asking for rides, asking for phone numbers and in a few undocumented instances exposing themselves in a way that I'd bet is illegal in all 50 states.

On the TRACK - At Miller I ran the wing with a little downforce as possible, and still had too much "rear". My gut feeling it that that the wicker alone would have been enough - the rear was absolutely GLUED to to track. Interestingly I think my speed on the straight was very very close to that of a "stock" GT, right about 160.

In GENERAL- it's a nice place to set things (not on paint) & makes a very handle to push or pull the car with. I personally think it looks AWESOME! And in case you missed it - Joyride is selling the one on the orange GT. IMG_1076.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
All of Kips comments are correct ,, and thank you Frank ,, :biggrin To achieve additional down force front and back a larger splitter should be used in conjunction with the wing to maintain proper balance.

I developed this system to give the GT the best of both worlds, When you want some more down force at the race track it bolts on easily and can be removed for high speed events. The wing is fully adjustable. It has seen some time in the wind tunnel to get some down force readings. The wing at aggressive angles can develop more down force than you can make with just a splitter. You could add additional dive planes to the front like the ACR Viper but I am not going there yet..

My rear mounting system bolts directly to the frame rails where you want the aero load to go. I do not build the wing only the struts. The wing is a real race car wing used by many race teams.

After the rally I have had few others interested in a complete kits so I am going to put together so numbers in the coming weeks. I had our favorite GT test driver do a some laps with my car. You can check with roketman to get his opinion...:biggrin If anyone is interested please PM or email me

IMG_2680.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1536.jpg

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I designed my system using a standard carbon GT-1 wing and a custom carbon/kevlar front splitter. The handling is excellent per Mark McGowan both low and high speed were either neutral or slightly oversteer. The car achieved 185 mph on the Miller front straight even though I had a 1/2" Gurney with a 2 Degree wing angle. Power is stock with a 4.0 Whipple, it would be very difficult to tune an aero system without a rolling road tunnel so we did it by experimentation. The car has achieved significant down force based on skirt wear with 300-400 pound wheel rates.

Pictures: http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/ae30/Cobra498/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAUQrbGxn0

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I hoped you would chime in Bruce.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
That is some pretty slick stuff.
Bravo, to both of you.

Where is that tunnel, Stormcat?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
it's getting all Fast and Furious up in here.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
StormCat is playing in the litter box and hitting the catnip. He rented the wind tunnel right before he came to VIR for the Rally last year. I believe it was in Georgia, along the way to VIR. He spent a full day there tuning. Has some very nice pics and video as well.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That is some pretty slick stuff.
Bravo, to both of you.

Where is that tunnel, Stormcat?

A2 in Charlotte , North Carolina. This company has two facilities. This is the low budget tunnel. The other is a rolling Tunnel and it's big bucks !! It runs 7 days a week testing mostly NASCAR teams hardware.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Stormcat,

How much did your race track recommended package increase downforce at A2? Did your aero balance end up around the stock numbers of about 40% downforce on the front?

Scott