Ceramic coatings on Carbon fiber wheels.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
The installer doing my wrap has recommended a protective coating on the wheels.
Is this a good or bad idea?
Any pros or cons?
My main concern is this causing a discoloration and/or changing the look of the finish, especially since my wheels are the Matte finish.
Don't want to lose that slick Matte finish appearance.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I believe most people that have done it have done it on the gloss carbon. Not sure how it wood look on the matte finish . you could experiment on a small section of the barrel inside Edge were it wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't like it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I did it on my silver metal wheels and you can't tell. I don't see where it made them any shinier.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Had mine done. Of course mine are not matte but they turned out awesome.

Reactions: Roadtrip and Apollo

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
And heat cycle your tires at the same time:cool:

Reactions: Ed Sims

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
We just bought an egg incubator... Looks just like this :)

Reactions: BAT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It works great!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So I have this "ceramic coating" stuff on the GT's.... Perfect, they dont get driven much, never see rain, and washed occasionally .....

A few weeks ago I had our Super Duty done. The reason, is I want to sell my self on the darn concept, with a vehicle thats actually driven regularly...! Weather has been to crappy in New England to bother to wash it, so still don't know.....

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Not too many miles to tell but brake dust is pretty light so far

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
So I have this "ceramic coating" stuff on the GT's.... Perfect, they dont get driven much, never see rain, and washed occasionally .....

A few weeks ago I had our Super Duty done. The reason, is I want to sell my self on the darn concept, with a vehicle thats actually driven regularly...! Weather has been to crappy in New England to bother to wash it, so still don't know.....

Not sure if you run your truck through a carwash but if you do, the CC will be gone after the 2nd wash. Of course touch free washes are different.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nope, never, hand wash only, good to know. The coating used is Opticoat pro, and is supposed to have a warranty (that I have not read), wonder what it covers.

Not sure if you run your truck through a carwash but if you do, the CC will be gone after the 2nd wash. Of course touch free washes are different.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have the opti coating on my new Forgeline wheels on my Aston
Martin. The wheels seem to stay much cleaner.
I did my first wash last Sunday. I was very impressed. The brake dust rinsed right off!
I just also opti coated my new 06 BBS Wheels. And we are going to do my Carbon Series GT wheels this week
Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 1B4A6E41-7A07-42FC-82F5-88A3672DC740.jpeg
    1B4A6E41-7A07-42FC-82F5-88A3672DC740.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9