carbon fiber wheels

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Have a nail in rear tire with carbon fiber wheels. Any suggestions for repair?Big O dinged my Fikse wheels so not an option. Thanks Jim:frown

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I guess I don't understand the problem. How do CF wheels limit your options on fixing a nail puncture in the tire?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I don't remember which TIRES you're running, anya. But, the std F-1's aren't intended to be repaired ... except with the inflater kit to get you to a shop. (Neither are any of the rest of the 200mph tires either to my knowledge.)

The tire should be replaced. Find a shop with the Hunter tire changer that's MADE for this sorta situation. 'No wheel rim contact by those machines at all.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Do you own the GTX1 that was at a dealer in LONG ISLAND about a month ago??

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You will find different opinions on repairing tires. I would be willing to bet that no tire is intended for repair. Personally it doesn't scare me, especially sense I replace the tires every 3500 miles anyway. I am sure there are some that will say that is crazy but I say unless it is in the sidewall... patch it. The forces of nature are in your favor.

if you wreck and die, I disavow all knowledge of this post. furthermore this is not really me. good luck

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, if you intend to drive it very, very fast, I'd replace it and not risk it. What's Big O, a tire place? There must be other good tire places around.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Jeez Jim,

You got a nail in the tire already? You better clean up around the shop!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey, Jim, I just had a thought (a rarity, I know:bored). You might contact the Seattle Ferrari dealer, or Bentley/Lambo of Bellevue on Northrup way (beside Bellevue BMW). One of THEM ought to be able to recommend a savvy tire outfit with the right equipment. :cheers

Last edited:

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Thanks do not want to damage the wheels. Jim

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Do you own the GTX1 that was at a dealer in LONG ISLAND about a month ago??
Si same car. You should be banned from the forum! My wife would take my computer away if she saw your site. Way to many toys. I may be selling the silver gt that is in Detroit. Jim

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
You will find different opinions on repairing tires. I would be willing to bet that no tire is intended for repair. Personally it doesn't scare me, especially sense I replace the tires every 3500 miles anyway. I am sure there are some that will say that is crazy but I say unless it is in the sidewall... patch it. The forces of nature are in your favor.

if you wreck and die, I disavow all knowledge of this post. furthermore this is not really me. good luck
Thanks for the input. I think jeff has found a tireman that can do the repair. (Do you wear out your tires in 3500? I did the rears on the BB512i when I first got it whee.) Jim

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the input. I think jeff has found a tireman that can do the repair. (Do you wear out your tires in 3500? I did the rears on the BB512i when I first got it whee.) Jim

Yes, the rears get replaced about about 3500 to 4500 miles. The front go for twice that. Personally I think the rear tires are cheap on this car, especially given the size and type of car. Burn 'em baby!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
If you intend to ever exceed the legal speed limit you would be wise to replace the tire.

Of course, if your like me, a gentleman of breeding who never violates the laws of man and nature.... Go ahead and plug the SOB:)

If I should ever push towards the limit it would be with new shoes that have only had a few heat cycles.

Saint Bony
In transit to Seville!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
+1

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I don't know guys, Jim has a $250K+ car there. Somehow it seems a sacrilege to run a less than stellar tire on such a stellar car!

Pontificating Pockets

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Why do you need tires when it's on that flatbed all the time?

Have you been taking the "Pockets" coarse on how to get around without putting miles on your car? :rofl

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Have you been taking the "Pockets" coarse on how to get around without putting miles on your car? :rofl

Oh, why don't yew go "Heffner" yur GT!!! :lol :cheers

Last edited: