Carbon Ceramic rotors for track use?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I don't have experience with Carbon Ceramic brakes (and pads) durability on the track. I wonder if changing to steel may be a better option?

Looking for feedback.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Unless you're going to make the car a completely dedicated track car, it's likely a waste of time and money. You're probably more likely to waste a rotor taking it off than you are wearing it out on the track IMO. But again, that depends on how much you plan on using the car as a track car.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
After reading the article, I agree with Dave. Even with a lifespan of “only” 4 times longer, the carbon rotors would probably be the best option not to mention they keep the car pretty clean. They are also one of the most impressive features on the car in my opinion. Feeling it stop on the track is something I’ll never forget. I still tell people it’s like landing on an aircraft carrier catching an arresting cable!

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I had a comment at the show yesterday. He said and it stops as fast as it goes.

Reactions: Special K

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Response I received from Peter K. at Ford who worked with pro drivers on the NGT is pretty encouraging.

They tested the Carbon Ceramic setup on a 24 hour race and got around 12 hours at race pace with pro drivers. The rear brakes will wear before the fronts because of Traction Control and ESC. (pro drivers turn these off)

BTW, front GT350 steel rotors are a direct bolt on but no testing was done. No direct bolt on steel rotors for the rears.

A few comments for track use:

Make sure you bed your brakes before your first track event. At 750 street miles mine were not bedded.
After hard use make sure you do a cool down lap and don't turn off the engine right away. It will automatically apply the E brake on hot rotors which is not good.
Use the paddles/M mode
Don't worry about the airbag chime. You wont hear it.
The wiper knob is close and may be inadvertently activated. Know where it is so you can turn it off.
According to the Pros, tires want to be at 32 PSI warm. Start at around 27-28 cold. (TPMS on dash)
I tried to use the GT app but there are a few bugs that prevented me from getting them to work on my version of iPhone. The little bit I have seen would have been terrific to have for track use.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Interesting to hear about the GT350 Brembo similarities. I’ll need to put them both side by side to compare!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I don't have experience with Carbon Ceramic brakes (and pads) durability on the track. I wonder if changing to steel may be a better option?

Looking for feedback.

I have tracked my new GT 6 times with no issues regarding the ceramic rotors. But remember brakes only slow you down!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I would assume the converse is true and a Ford GT rotor is a bolt on to a GT350. Whats a pair of replacement rotors go for? $3500?

Response I received from Peter K. at Ford who worked with pro drivers on the NGT is pretty encouraging.

They tested the Carbon Ceramic setup on a 24 hour race and got around 12 hours at race pace with pro drivers. The rear brakes will wear before the fronts because of Traction Control and ESC. (pro drivers turn these off)

BTW, front GT350 steel rotors are a direct bolt on but no testing was done. No direct bolt on steel rotors for the rears.

A few comments for track use:

Make sure you bed your brakes before your first track event. At 750 street miles mine were not bedded.
After hard use make sure you do a cool down lap and don't turn off the engine right away. It will automatically apply the E brake on hot rotors which is not good.
Use the paddles/M mode
Don't worry about the airbag chime. You wont hear it.
The wiper knob is close and may be inadvertently activated. Know where it is so you can turn it off.
According to the Pros, tires want to be at 32 PSI warm. Start at around 27-28 cold. (TPMS on dash)
I tried to use the GT app but there are a few bugs that prevented me from getting them to work on my version of iPhone. The little bit I have seen would have been terrific to have for track use.

Reactions: Pantera1889

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I would assume the converse is true and a Ford GT rotor is a bolt on to a GT350. Whats a pair of replacement rotors go for? $3500?

$5,500 for the rear rotors (pair) The smaller rears cost double. I believe they share the fronts with Ferrari and possibly others.
$2,700 for the front rotors (pair)

Reactions: khalid0

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Dont forget NJS posts about ad and rotor lifespans in this thread from 2017