Car No Start. Found Problem (I Think)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Check the battery with a "load tester". My SL-55 recently had battery cell go bad (or plate inside the battery come loose/short) which caused inconsistent battery performance...replaced, viola!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Agree that battery needs to be tested. Assuming you are using Optima. Still a good battery but not what they used to be in quality and endurance. When I replaced my old Optima with new, old was much heavier than new battery.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yes, Optima red top. Just looked back at my records. Battery was actually changed 2 years ago. But still, a bit premature for this thing to be dead already. Out of town now, but will get it checked when I get home.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Car wouldn't start again. Ignition on, dash lit up, gauges initialized, but I pushed the start button and *click*. Car was dead. Did the usual routine I've now done a 1/2 dozen times and removed the negative lead, loosened the ground and tightened everything back up. Started up fine. Drove it to a local shop to check the battery. Voltage was fine. Cleaned up the cable a bit more thoroughly for corrosion and so far so good. Will try to fire it up again tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll chalk it up to a bad negative/ground cable and buy a new one.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Car wouldn't start again. Ignition on, dash lit up, gauges initialized, but I pushed the start button and *click*. Car was dead. Did the usual routine I've now done a 1/2 dozen times and removed the negative lead, loosened the ground and tightened everything back up. Started up fine. Drove it to a local shop to check the battery. Voltage was fine. Cleaned up the cable a bit more thoroughly for corrosion and so far so good. Will try to fire it up again tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll chalk it up to a bad negative/ground cable and buy a new one.
wouldnt hurt to also check the positive cable to the starter.. you can check battery side then the starter side...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ralphie burned his wire at the starter if I remember correctly. Too close to the headers. You should check.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rather than dielectric grease, you can buy a conductive/protective grease from electrical stores that's made for aluminum wire connections, such as the triplex cable that comes into your home electrical panel. I use it, and haven't had ground problems yet. (fingers crossed)