Car is dead, but not the battery

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I went to go to a drive in my GT this weekend and to no avail it was dead. I drove it a week or two earlier and it was fine. I also had my charger hooked up the entire time. Whats interesting is the door mechanisms work and the radio works. Nothing else. No instrument panel, no dome light, head lights, door locks, windows and definitely wont start. Deader than a door-nail! The battery is fully charged. Reads 13.3 volts. Its acting like it does not see my key fob. I have tried both fobs and its the same. Anyone experience this before.

-Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Battery ground at the chassis.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Is it a new GT or an 05/06?

I went to go to a drive in my GT this weekend and to no avail it was dead. I drove it a week or two earlier and it was fine. I also had my charger hooked up the entire time. Whats interesting is the door mechanisms work and the radio works. Nothing else. No instrument panel, no dome light, head lights, door locks, windows and definitely wont start. Deader than a door-nail! The battery is fully charged. Reads 13.3 volts. Its acting like it does not see my key fob. I have tried both fobs and its the same. Anyone experience this before.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Is it a new GT or an 05/06?

Reactions: Special K

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Battery ground at the chassis.
I will check that.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I will check that.
Try putting power to the jump points, otherwise call your servicing dealer which I believe is Blue Bonnet Ford. They will pick it up and fix it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is some part of the ignition board or something that breaks on some cars. Maybe? There is a recall I believe. Oops, sorry for the misspelling previously.

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
There is some part of the ignition board or something that breastfeeding on some cars. Maybe?

Uhh, that seems unlikely.

Reactions: BtwoG

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.

Hello SAGT, I just talked to the technician at your servicing Ford GT Dealer it appears that there was a loss of communication between the bcm and a few other modules, rest assured that he is looking into the problem with the assistance of a few electronic engineers and the issuse will be resolved.....

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
the positive side of this story is we got to see your SUPER COBRA JET.... keep us posted

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
From manual

Failure to Start
If you cannot start the engine after three attempts, wait 10 seconds and follow this procedure: 1. Fully press the brake pedal. 2. Move the transmission selector to the park (P) position. 3. Fully press the accelerator pedal and hold it there. 4. Press the START/STOP button once.

PAGE 89

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_10_2016.pdf

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Lee Can explain more but the Dealer had to reflash PCM in conjuction with MM Techs!

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Dealer came out and PCM was not communicating at all. Turns out there was a clip broken on the plug that holds the PCM connector in. The repaired it and Im good to go.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Damn thing happened again! Fired it up and drove to the parts store that's right down the road from my house. Left the windows down because I was only going to be in for a minute. Came out and it was dead. Nothing works just like before. Could not open the door, widows are down and its Sunday. Starting to get clouding and Im afraid rain in coming. Trying to get Ford roadside on the phone for about 20 minutes and the horn panic goes off. Key fob kills the horn and all is well now. Fires up and drive it home.

I have had my 05 for 15 years and its been in the shop only once because the oil pressure gauge died. This 2020 has 300 miles, owned it for 4 months and its already going back for visit #2. Needless to say the 05 will stay on my log in picture!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I feel for you, SAGT and understand your frustration. From your description, it sure sounds like a primary battery connection is just not tight enough. This could be either a positive cable or the ground side. Connections at the battery itself would be most obvious but I assume you've checked that. Let me have a look at the Service Manual for the NFGT and see if anything jumps out....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SAGT - I don't know if you are even interested to do this yourself. I will only say that if the car was with us, these would be the places I would look first.

The first step would be to look at the major ground points. They are mostly in the front compartment. You will want to look at G100, G101, G102, and G103. Make sure they are all tight.

FrontGround1.jpg

Having inspected those, there's one in the engine compartment (G401) that I'd look at - as depicted below;

EngineGround2.jpg

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Very informative reply. I am a "do it myself" kinda guy, but for what this damn thing cost Im going to make them go through the troubleshooting issues. My fear is it being intermittent and it leaving me stranded again.