Car Capsule

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
I've been getting ready for delivery of #41 for the last few weeks and delivery is getting close. I am very seriously considering a car capsule showcase (CF1) to store it in. I am concerned with keeping the car like new while parking our GT in our main garage. Our backyard has a copious number of trees and, with one of the doors normally open while we are home, it is pretty much impossible to control wind, leaves, dirt, etc. Not normally a concern with our other cars including early Shelby's but it seems like the opportunity to enclose the GT would be pretty helpful. I know Porsche enthusiasts in particular endorse and use them extensively. Is anyone using a car capsule with their GT? 16 foot or 18 foot? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
I use a Car Jacket. It’s great. It’s like a zip lock bag. I have 4 cars in them. They stay by perfectly clean. Takes a couple minutes to unzip and rezip.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have used a car capsule years ago and they worked perfectly except for the fact that it took too much time to get the car into the capsule and get it zipped up! Great for long term storage but not for short times and zipper finally broke and I quit using it! Never used it on either of my Ford GT’s.

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks for the input. I'm almost sure I'll go with the car capsule showcase; I like the idea of the filtered flow through ventilation and can leave the windows down on the car.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Maybe you can just add 1 wall inside your garage that completely isolates the car. One 2x4 stud wall with drywall and a walk-thru door shouldn't* cost much (even with insulation).

* I always think that, and I'm usually wrong, and that's even tho I'm a DIYer.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I use lightweight clear plastic (like a giant showercap) with elastic while car is in garage.
I think this is what I have been buying: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EEW9C4?ref_=pe_527950_33920290

Reactions: THamonGT

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I had a bad experience on a vintage Mustang with a plastic wrap like that. There was some moisture on the car and it somehow kinda glued the plastic into the paint. It cleaned up but it took a bunch of work rubbing.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Rodents?

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
I use 3 of these.
Works great.
Easy in and out.
No dust in dusty west Texas.

Attachments

• 7C7F6AEE-4FE9-4BB7-BDD4-0FAC250008EF.jpeg
    7C7F6AEE-4FE9-4BB7-BDD4-0FAC250008EF.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 0

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Great. I appreciate the input. Not so sure about the "Car Condom"...
93EXTXDPS, what size capsule do you keep your 2020 in? A 16 or 18 foot. I am inclined to use the 16 and know it will be tight but fits.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I've been getting ready for delivery of #41 for the last few weeks and delivery is getting close. I am very seriously considering a car capsule showcase (CF1) to store it in. I am concerned with keeping the car like new while parking our GT in our main garage. Our backyard has a copious number of trees and, with one of the doors normally open while we are home, it is pretty much impossible to control wind, leaves, dirt, etc. Not normally a concern with our other cars including early Shelby's but it seems like the opportunity to enclose the GT would be pretty helpful. I know Porsche enthusiasts in particular endorse and use them extensively. Is anyone using a car capsule with their GT? 16 foot or 18 foot? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have one for my 06 GT. If you have the space I would go for the 18 footer. Keeps car clean as mine is parked in regular use garage. I also bought enough vented race deck to put the showcase on. Keeps water and moisture from contacting the showcase. I find it easier to unzip and zip if you let some air out first.

AJK

Tiago

GT Owner
Apr 9, 2019
Houston, TX
They're great, have several.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Jim, I have the same conditions at my house. Oaks galore. I looked into a capsule, but they are a major PITA if you want regular access to your car. Consider a dehumidifier for your garage to control moisture and maybe don’t sweat the leaves and dust. Controlling moisture is the most important consideration for long-term car storage. I found a dehumidifier necessary even in my climate controlled garage.

Also, you can pipe the water from the dehumidifier into a 50 gallon plastic drum and have free distilled water for car washes. In Florida I produce more than I can use.

Last edited:
Reactions: roketman and extrap

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Hi folks,
GT showed up. What a day, pretty much caused some adrenaline. Final answer on the capsule. New GT fits fine in 16 foot capsule. An 18 would be better but perfect in 16 foot. Self supporting, constant airflow, no bugs, vermin, leaves or dirt. Fits my bill perfectly.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Hi folks,
GT showed up.

Awesome! (y) Pics??

What a day, pretty much caused some adrenaline.

That's why I say you need at least 1 other person with you during delivery, to take pics so you can just stand there and ogle, and ask questions and hopefully retain some part of the answers! Ha! It's a lot to take in! You might find yourself signing things that later you had no idea you signed! 😄

Final answer on the capsule. New GT fits fine in 16 foot capsule. An 18 would be better but perfect in 16 foot. Self supporting, constant airflow, no bugs, vermin, leaves or dirt. Fits my bill perfectly.

Again, awesome! (y) Pics??!

So, now with it kept in a capsule, does this mean you won't drive it? Or just a super nice place to keep it between occasional drives? (which is mostly what I'm doing).

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Will drive and probably track it (if my other cars are an indicator). It is an open working garage. Leaves, dust, wind, occasional spider, pets.
Consider it an inflatable car cover. I can look at the car every single time I walk out with the plus it will be as pristine as the last time I put it up, including bottom side where crud accumulates in a garage. Have a 4000 Sq foot bldg, not close enough to home for easy fun.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ok Jim , let’s see the pictures!

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Ok. Here you go. Car Capsule CF16

Last edited:

Big Jim