canadian gt on order

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Just ordered my GT , 200 are being built for the Canadian market with the first 100 in March and the second 100 at the end of the American production run in the late summer/fall of next year.The canadian cars had to have the bumpers modified to pass our federal bumper requirements and are all built to one spec.The optional wheels are std and the opt stereo is not offered. The only options are the center stripes and side stripe delete.

Tim

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Congrats!

That's interesting news. This means production of GT's will continue after the August 31, 2006 cut off for US production GT's.

This may effect the Rally at end of production plans being discussed on another thread in this forum.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bbr...welcome
wish i could have gotten the standard radio, or even radio delete.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Welcome to the site BBR. I can't think of better scenery to enjoy when driving a supercar than Vancouver. Lucky Canadian you are! :biggrin

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Thanks , I was wondering if I could have my signature changed to gt on order from spectator.Also I saw the thread on the rally , sounds like a great idea , hope the canadian production run doesn't screw up the dates.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
BBRGT said:
Thanks , I was wondering if I could have my signature changed to gt on order from spectator.Also I saw the thread on the rally , sounds like a great idea , hope the canadian production run doesn't screw up the dates.

I doubt it will. My guess is that the contingent of Canadian GT's was worked into the production plan during the allotted build schedule. If my gut feeling on Wixom's limited future is right...

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
BBRGT said:
The optional wheels are std and the opt stereo is not offered.
Tim

Unfortuneate the standard wheels aren't available...guess Ford wised up to the 2 for 1 wheel deal :biggrin

And a big :thumbsup to removing the waste of time/weight/space McIntosh system.

Congrats on the purchase!

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
200 hey? wonder what my chances of seeing one on the streets of Calgary? looks like I'll be carrying my digi cam around everywhere starting in March.

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
But can a U.s. based buyer import a Canuck GT?

Since our American dollars are oh-so-big compared to Canadian dollars (admittedly more colorful) my question is can us Americans buy a GT in Canada and drive it across the border, no questions asked. Like do we have to pay a duty when it's a made in american product?

If we can import them, this ought to give us a lever againsst american ford dealers who want too much for their GT as some Canadian dealers will be knee deep in snow and not too many buyers will be braving the snowdrifts to get to their door in Jan, Feb.

Nanook of the North

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Nanook - don't eat that yellow snow!

I know nothing of importing from Canada, but suspect someone with a tax bill for you would be forever lurking in the background! Wouldn't you have to leave a paper trail about either a Canadian address or a US one that would eventually be tied together?

CDNGT

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2005
RED DEER ,ALBERTA
my dealer received a letter from ford confirming an allocation for a gt;we ordered the heritage edition ;he was told march delivery;msrp in canada was indicated at 185000 cdn ;plus 16000 cdn for heritage paint option...i dont think you will see canadian cars going south ;if the price trend in the us continues you are more likely to see the cars being imported to canada...

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
bitzman said:
Since our American dollars are oh-so-big compared to Canadian dollars (admittedly more colorful) my question is can us Americans buy a GT in Canada and drive it across the border, no questions asked. Like do we have to pay a duty when it's a made in american product?

not too big anymore. canadian dollar is at 0.84. still a $30k difference for a GT though.

SkyMan

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Hey guys,

Just hopped aboard after receiving word about this site from Paul at fordgtprices.com.

I'm in Ottawa, have had my deposit on a GT at Thorncrest Ford in Toronto since July; order finally went through a week ago; Tungsten silver, locked in at MSRP. :thumbsup

I was told by my dealer that mine is scheduled for September shipment :confused Could this be wrong as my order was one of the first like you others or am i simply on the second half of production?

Speaking with someone at Dixie Ford in Toronto, i was also told that Ford is now only producing under 100 units for Canada after the bumper setback... Their car was being auctioned off, and was up to $290,000CDN last i checked.

Anyway, who knows what's true at this stage in the game, all we can do is speculate :frown

Cheers.

Last edited:

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Canadian ford dealers received a letter last week telling them if they were allocated a GT and if it was a March or September delivery . They will build 100 units for March and 100 for September.The bumper issue was the problem from the beginning with the canadian cars and was resolved by an Ontario company named Multimatic, before production of canadian GT's was even announced.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BBR, welcome :cheers
Please explain the bumper issue, thanks.

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
Canadian bumper standards are 10 km/ h versus 5mph for American market vehicles.Most or all North American cars pass both standards [10km/h=aprox 7mph] but the GT did not meet the canadian standard. Ford Canada tried to get an exemption based on the low volume of the GT and the fact that the bumper issue is not a passenger safety but an insurance issue, but were unsuccessful. Multimatic [they build the fr500 grand am mustangs ] were enlisted to engineer a solution ,which they have, allowing the car to be sold in Canada.The Canadian cars will look identical to yours except for the rear bumper being spaced several inches further away from the body.The only other changes are the cars are all built with the opt wheels,std stereo and fixed choice on caliper colors with paint color.

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Just to add a little more information about the Canadian GT's. I've just ordered mine (at Ford suggested retail sticker price) and it will be built in what Ford Canada has called the "first wave" of 100 cars. This first wave of cars will be built in the March 2006 time frame. All the Canadian cars will have an internally modified front bumper. Believe it or not, the reason for the McIntosh sound system not being available as an option in Canada is, and I quote a memo from Ford Canada, " ... due to weight restrictions (due to the bumper modification)".

The "second wave" of 100 cars will be built in September 2006 and these cars will not be eligible for export to the United States. Again, quoting the memo from Ford Canada - "There are amendments to the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that will become mandatory for production commencing September 1st, 2006. The Ford GT was not designed to comply with these amendments, therefore production of GTs for the U.S. market will cease on August 31st. The Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CVMSS) will be amended at a later date, allowing us to produce the GT for the Canadian market in September. Ford GTs built after September 1st 2006 will not be eligible for export to, or registering in the United States"

Sorry for such a long winded first post, but I hope it provides a little more insight to the questions asked earlier in this thread.

CanuckGT

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
But surely a GT would pass completely underneath a Moose with damage to neither? :biggrin