Canada Tungsten car in Woodbridge, Ontario

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Anyone know the history of the Tungsten Ford GT for sale at the Daytona Auto Center in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada. Talked to the owner of the dealership today who wasn't familiar with much of the history, didn't know how many options, how many prior owners, etc. He did mention that the dealership painted the entire car including the center white stripe which seems a little surprising to me and hoping the paint work wasn't due to a story. Of course with Covid, I cannot fly up to check it out. Thanks for any information you may have and feel free to pm or post including suggestions for someone in the area for a PPI.
Thanks,
Graydon

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I don't know anything about its history. Just replying because I'm wondering if this is it since I don't see a white stripe 🤔 ... https://www.daytonaauto.ca/vehicles/2006/ford/gt/woodbridge/on/46343851/

... well, that and I see it has 13K miles (21K km), and so with the repaint and mileage, and with $350K CAD being ~$265K USD, maybe that's a reasonable price. But I will say, if you have a mind for future value I would expect a repaint to affect the value, possibly significantly.

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Hi extrap, that's the vehicle I am referring to which I found on autotrader Canada. I agree that there may be an important story behind the repaint. Hoping someone knows the car. Thanks.

Reactions: extrap

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Hi extrap, that's the vehicle I am referring to which I found on autotrader Canada. I agree that there may be an important story behind the repaint. Hoping someone knows the car. Thanks.
Also check to see if this is a Canadian spec‘ed vehicle; That would have an impact upon resale if you import to the States.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
An entire repaint? Of course there is a story!

FYI, ALL striped Tungsten cars had a silver stripes, not white. (Only blue cars and red cars have a white stripe. Tungsten and black cars had silver stripes.) The color of stripe was dictated by the base color - you couldn't change that.

Internet PPI's based on pics are worth nothing more than what they cost. That said, I would speculate (minimally) front-end damage and most specifically to front left.

Pic 2: Notice the hood to front left fender gap starts to grow quite a bit toward the windshield. The hood gap, while sometimes minutely uneven from left side to right side, should ALWAYS be parallel to the fenders. It could be the camera angle, but I don't think so.

Pic 9: The front edge of the drivers door to the front left panel gap looks good in this pic. It's a VERY hard body line to get right as there is a lot going on with the gap... but looks good in this pic. Note that you aren't going to able to shift the fender over to help resolve the hood gap mentioned above while maintaining this door to fender gap. But there's another tell on pic 9. Look at the small sliver of fender on the far side of the headlight and where that sliver meets the nose of the car. That gap should very VERY tight. This pic and others make that gap look like 1/2" or so. It sure didn't leave Wixom that way.

On a repaint, it would be interesting to see the door jam areas and how they transitioned and how they addressed production VIN stickers, etc. The same with the paint and emissions decals on the bulkhead behind the driver's head. These would be things to look at.

If cars could only talk. This one has a story or two.

Might be a decent car to own at the right price but the repaint and these anomalies (assuming they aren't the camera) should mean that the car shouldn't be at a premium price.

Last edited:

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Thanks for that Kendall. I see exactly what you mean and a great teaching point for us noobies. Thank you.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
An entire repaint? Of course there is a story!

FYI, ALL striped Tungsten cars had a silver stripes, not white. (Only blue cars and red cars have a white stripe. Tungsten and black cars had silver stripes.) The color of stripe was dictated by the base color - you couldn't change that.

Oh jeez! Didn't even dawn on me! (not that the car actually has stripes)

Internet PPI's based on pics are worth nothing more than what they cost. That said, I would speculate (minimally) front-end damage and most specifically to front left.

Pic 2: Notice the hood to front left fender gap starts to grow quite a bit toward the windshield. The hood gap, while sometimes minutely uneven from left side to right side, should ALWAYS be parallel to the fenders. It could be the camera angle, but I don't think so.

Ugh. Didn't catch that either. I'm too new.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
There were 541 Tungsten GTs made. The ONLY reason to buy a repainted one would be to save a LOT of money.

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
I got excited once I saw the pictures with the McIntosh stereo present which made me think it might originally have been delivered to the US (Canadian cars did not get McIntosh) and then the gauges pretty much confirmed it.....pretty much. The dealer did confirm it was initially delivered to Colorado. That would save import tax of, I think, 2.5% if he had proof that it was initially a US car. The factoids are starting to add up against this car. Thanks everyone for your input. Maybe someone ends up posting exactly ALL the details and history of this car but currently it seems to be on shaky grounds. By the way, I messed up, not the dealer, about the color of the center stripes. He just said "we painted the whole car, including over the stripe". I wrote white stripes, another noobie error since I knew the stripes were silver. It sucks getting old.
I asked if the dealer had the window sticker which would confirm potentially a 4 option car since other than the center stripes, the other options seem to be present but the dealer did not know if he had that original window sticker and told me he would get back to me today with all the documents.
On a side note, searching for Tungsten, I have bumped up against an interesting data point, that is a number of these Tungstens have suggestion of undocumented prior collision repair. Based on the data available to me, my assumption is that Tungstens slide off the road easier than other colors. Perhaps a magnetic phenomenon or some such explanation or clearly they are that much faster than the other colors.
May have to git me a silver or blue one. :)

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
There is a red with white stripes (1,700 miles) on BAT live at auction.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Just fyi, I have owned two GTs, and have been following these cars and their selling prices since they day they were announced (actually back in the day I had a website, fordgtprices.com), and I can say definitively that there is absolutely no correlation between the number of options and the value of the cars.

The vast majority of the cars were ordered on spec by the selling dealers, who quite naturally usually added all available options (and also most often ordered the arrest-me-red color that appeared on all the magazine covers).

Nothing wrong with a 4-option car, but there are certainly buyers like me who strongly prefer no stripes (for both aesthetics and rarity- for example there are 494 Tungsten cars with full stripes but only 25 Tungsten cars without stripes, and 996 red with full stripes but only 20 red without stripes), and also prefer no Macintosh radio, because by eliminating that system’s subwoofer you gain a small but valuable storage cubbie between the seats.

The only option that affects the value is the Heritage paint scheme.

Last edited:

Fast CPA

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2020
South Jersey
There is a red with white stripes (1,700 miles) on BAT live at auction.

I had a chance on Sunday to drive up and look at it.
Looks clean - took a ride in it.
Seller was super cool.

I just don't know enough about these cars.

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
I did get a little history on the car. It spent most of its life in Virginia, then sold to Priority Ford dealership in Norfolk VA in Nov 2018, then to Manheim auction Mar 2019, where it was bought by a Canadian dealer at the auction and taken to Canada but the title is still a Virginia title. Still hoping someone has the inside scoop on why the paint job was done and the fender not lining up.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I did get a little history on the car. It spent most of its life in Virginia, then sold to Priority Ford dealership in Norfolk VA in Nov 2018, then to Manheim auction Mar 2019, where it was bought by a Canadian dealer at the auction and taken to Canada but the title is still a Virginia title. Still hoping someone has the inside scoop on why the paint job was done and the fender not lining up.

Don't believe any of the stories you might hear. The only way to tell what really happened is to get a PPI done on it. If you can't do that then skip it. There are other cars.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
... If you can't do that then skip it. There are other cars.

I agree with that. 4,033 doesn't sound like many until you really start thinking about that figure, that it equates to an average of 80 per state, where all the remaining ones could be hiding, how many are currently for sale (quite a few), etc etc ... but it's easier to have that rational feeling once you've bought yours and calmed down. I remember when searching it was kind of a roller coaster between 'Oh! now that's a good one!' (until it wasn't) to 'Damn! I'm never gonna find one that doesn't scare me, at a reasonable price.' back n forth. That said, my search only ended up being about a month. Lucky.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I agree with that. 4,033 doesn't sound like many until you really start thinking about that figure, that it equates to an average of 80 per state, where all the remaining ones could be hiding, how many are currently for sale (quite a few), etc etc ... but it's easier to have that rational feeling once you've bought yours and calmed down. I remember when searching it was kind of a roller coaster between 'Oh! now that's a good one!' (until it wasn't) to 'Damn! I'm never gonna find one that doesn't scare me, at a reasonable price.' back n forth. That said, my search only ended up being about a month. Lucky.
Before many knew about the OEM tires’ vulnerabilities, there were several wrecks; a dubious character in Texas rebuilt many. I doubt there are 4,000 still in operational condition.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I agree with that. 4,033 doesn't sound like many until you really start thinking about that figure, that it equates to an average of 80 per state, where all the remaining ones could be hiding,
Maybe a few are hiding in "uninhabited" :ROFLMAO: .

QSS

Attachments

• map-of-the-world-according-to-americans.jpg
    map-of-the-world-according-to-americans.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Info on GT at Woodbridge Daytona Auto Center. From Shelby World Registry.
VIN: 1FAFP90S86Y401548
Tungsten Grey
Macintosh Radio
Silver Top and Side Stripes
Optioned Grey Calipers
Optioned Wheels
Original Dealer: Freedom Ford, Norfolk, Virginia

Last edited: