Call me Ford - I can help with your figures!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
"In the United States, Ford GT deliveries totaled 18 units in Q2 2020, a decrease of about 65 percent compared to 51 units sold in Q2 2019. The 65 percent decline in Ford GT sales (deliveries) in the U.S. during Q2 2020 represented the fourth-largest percentage decrease of any vehicle in the segment. Unfortunately, the Ford GT’s sales performance puts it in last place in its competitive set. As such, the Ford GT was outsold by all other models, including the Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911, Mercedes-AMG GT, Mercedes-Benz SLC-Class, Porsche 718 (née Cayman/Boxster), Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, Audi R8, Nissan GT-R, BMW i8, and Acura NSX. Ford GT sales fell at a significantly higher rate than the overall segment average during the second quarter, accounting for just 18 out of the 7,181 units sold. The decline is likely related to the inability for Multimatic – the firm responsible for building the vehicle – to construct the car during the COVID-19 pandemic. ..."

(Yes, I am intentionally withholding the rest of the article, the part that explains why Ford doesn't need my help :)) https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/ford-gt-sales-numbers-figures-results-second-quarter-2020-q2/

OK, I can't actually help with your Q2 figures, but I can with 2020 Q4 or '21/'22 (y) :cool: :)

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They are all sold by allocation, so this really means nothing other than Covid slowing down the build and delivery process. Do you not understand that process? How many owners were deprived of their trip to MM to see the build process?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am detecting sarcasm in the O.P.

No?

Reactions: extrap

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We've been over this before. That website is uninformed clickbait and lacks the specific knowledge relevant to this topic to even understand what it's writing about.

Just as a refresher on why these reports are useless:

1. You are correct that corporate accounting is very strict but just for everyone’s full understanding - Ford Motor Company sells vehicles to our dealers, therefore the company accounts for vehicle sales revenue when units are released to our dealers. This is often referred to as wholesale. Reported wholesale revenue methodology varies by country, export/import laws, joint ventures, contract manufacturing and shipment method but typically, as far as manufacturer accounting, is concerned, vehicles in transit are accounted for as sold. This would include released vehicles in our logistics systems awaiting shipment. For the GT, there is the added complexity of Multimatic releasing to Ford and Ford then releasing to the dealer. These sales are reported in our corporate financials and are the primary revenue source of Ford Motor Company, and therefore accounting rules are strictly followed.

2. Publicly provided automotive sales reports are based on dealer sales to customers and are primarily self reported by the dealers through various systems. This methodology also varies by country, type of sale, manufacturer, etc. and typically have some sort of lag. The quantity of vehicles and time between a manufacturer selling to the dealer and the dealer showing as sold to a customer is measured in multiple ways (dealer inventory/days to turn/days supply, etc.). These numbers are watched very closely by the industry, media and analysts. There is a whole cottage industry dedicated to this including trying to back into production and sales numbers by talking to suppliers, dealers, counting vehicle registrations, etc. The GT dealer inventory and days to turn is extremely low but all of these factors still apply and the difference between GT’s produced/released/sold is especially influenced by vehicles awaiting or in transit to dealers/customers.

3. The systems producing the data that you are looking at are designed for much higher volumes. They are more than robust for corporate financials, less so sometimes for industry analysis, but definitely not suited to track individual unit production and sale. For reference, in 2016 these systems tracked 6.651 million vehicles just for Ford Motor Company wholesales.

4. The sales reports that you are referring to are U.S. dealer sales only and don’t capture global sales or vehicles produced for company inventory.

Due to all of the above, it is pointless to try to back into any meaningful assessment of overall GT production from these reports.

It's not a big deal because it's not really relevant to more than a couple hundred people in the country, but these articles are irksome because it's bad analysis on useless information. Most likely, they don't even know. FWIW, I've seen the lag on dealer reporting on these things still take 6+ weeks.

MY2020 is basically on pace at this point. They are delivering cars well into the 2XXs at this point, so in reality COVID-related shutdown didn't change very much.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yes, sarcasm. I know every car is spoken for and delays are irrelevant to market studies.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Raj said MM will ship 250 units year 2020.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
So fortunate to have expedited my spec and build. It afforded me the chance to have a late January MM tour and early March delivery. Literally 2 weeks before the C-bomb dropped.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Yes that article is B.S. VIN# L069 delivered March 8th, 2020 and was very lucky to get the Mutli Matic tour in Jan. It's a shame that the normal reader would have nothing else to go on and believe this. I was thinking that the facility being closed for three months would have slowed them down but I have seen VIN#'s near the 200's and believe they have really got the process down. THUMBS UP for the product they have delivered to me and I wouldn't put any of the listed manufactures on the same page as ours.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
OK to give the article at least a little credit, for anybody who didn't click on the link, it also states, "Additionally, as we have pointed out in the past, comparing Ford GT sales to those of other segment contenders isn’t exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, since the GT is a very different product compared to the other models in the space. The way Ford builds and sells the GT super car is extraordinarily different than from any other segment contender."

So that's good .. but then, "Take, for instance, the Chevrolet Corvette marketed by Ford’s cross-town rival, General Motors. Generally speaking, interested customers can simply visit their local Chevy dealer and purchase the sports car. By contrast, to buy a Ford GT, one must first apply and be approved by Ford. As such, the sales success of the Ford GT cannot be gauged on a similar scale as the other segment contenders. What’s more, Corvette pricing starts at less than $60,000 whereas the Ford GT has a base MSRP several times higher than that."

Comparing to Corvette??! o_O

... and also, "Though The Blue Oval will only produce a finite amount of units of the of Ford GT, we can’t help but wonder whether the Dearborn-based automaker would have been better off had it taken a very different approach to the vehicle, such as planning a mass-produced mid-engine car such as the mid-engine Corvette C8."

Uh, no. I can't even get a GT, and yet even I don't like that idea.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh no. With sales numbers like that, Ford may cancel the program after making only 1,350 GTs.

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have been missing your wit.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have been missing your wit.

You are so sweet. What have you done with Frank?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Another good one. You are 2 for 2.

Reactions: Nafod

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
We've been over this before. That website is uninformed clickbait and lacks the specific knowledge relevant to this topic to even understand what it's writing about.

Just as a refresher on why these reports are useless:

It's not a big deal because it's not really relevant to more than a couple hundred people in the country, but these articles are irksome because it's bad analysis on useless information. Most likely, they don't even know. FWIW, I've seen the lag on dealer reporting on these things still take 6+ weeks.

MY2020 is basically on pace at this point. They are delivering cars well into the 2XXs at this point, so in reality COVID-related shutdown didn't change very much.
Can’t wait to see your new GT!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Useless article
Don’t really care
A limited production car compared to the others mentioned
Just happy to be one of the lucky ones to have a carbon series GT

Reactions: steved57

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
So fortunate to have expedited my spec and build. It afforded me the chance to have a late January MM tour and early March delivery. Literally 2 weeks before the C-bomb dropped.

Same for me

Reactions: Special K