California Smog cert

JoshG

Dec 28, 2021
Any '05-06 GT owners care to advise on if a car that has bumper delete and cats removed can just have the factory exhaust put back on to pass CA smog?
e.g. this car: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ford-gt-53/ - it comes with factory exhaust... but also has bumper delete. Will the factory exhaust go back on easily?

Thanks!
--josh

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
It only shows the factory muffler in the extra parts, not the catalyst pipes. The catalyst pipes may still be on the car, but not a clear picture of them. If the cats are removed, the car is likely tuned, so the pcm would need to be flashed back to stock In addition to reinstallation of any removed emission parts.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Nevada follows CA pretty closely and when I did my car here they did a visual inspection for the cats. In addition, with the O2 sensors removed chances are this has a custom tune which probably disables the O2 sensors and catalytic converter readiness tests. It's not enough to simply put the tune back as the sensors will be missing.

I would ask on the auction of all of the original factory exhaust and emissions parts are included.

JoshG

Dec 28, 2021
thanks all... sounds like it could be a bigger project than i'm willing to take on.

Add me to the list of members here looking for a great stock '05-06... I'm ready to buy. ideally stripe delete with BBS & McIntosh, but open to any great GT... especially if in CA with recent smog.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Where in California are you at?

There are a few well regarded shops that could probably help you if a certain car could be bought at a price you could live with.

JoshG

Dec 28, 2021
SF Bay Area... south bay, but anywhere in bay area or NorCal would be fine!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Looks like the cats are still on the car. Too bad they cut the frame horns but GTGuy could salvage those with his kit. As the seller to post a pic of the cats they are easy to see

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As long as the cats are on the car, you'd be good. It doesn't matter that you have a bumper delete or an exhaust mod as long as it is downstream of the cats.

Regarding the tune, you need to return the car to a stock tune and then drive it enough to set the emissions monitors. If you have a smaller pulley or a Whipple, you're still OK on a stock tune - just don't go into a boost. Get the monitors to set, go get the smog certificate, and then you can restore the tune back into the car - and you're good for another 2-years.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
FORD GT MK1 2005-2006 - Fi EXHAUST JAPAN / エフアイエキゾーストジャパン (fi-exhaust-japan.com)
Looks like a switchable kit, loud and louder. Either through a 4" muffler? or 2' of 3" pipe. It's pretty anyways.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
FORD GT MK1 2005-2006 - Fi EXHAUST JAPAN / エフアイエキゾーストジャパン (fi-exhaust-japan.com)
Looks like a switchable kit, loud and louder. Either through a 4" muffler? or 2' of 3" pipe. It's pretty anyways.
Very nice looking pipe. If I did the conversion correct, only $7,200.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Don't understand why you would want an "adjustable" exhaust on this type of car?
It is what it is!
Best,
Mark

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe like for a boat, where yo tone it down around the dock But open it up out on the water?

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Maybe like for a boat, where yo tone it down around the dock But open it up out on the water?
I think that would be the opposite!
I want to set car alarms off next to me, and I guess (don't care!) more quiet on the highway.
Just me!
Mark

Reactions: 2112

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Have a 3 way adjustable exhaust on my Linginfelter Vette.
Did it for the locals, because I leave early in the AM.
Still has always been wide open.
Not sure the cut outs will even close anymore!
Lol!
All good!
Mark

Reactions: 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I know who to follow at the next Rally when fly by the local gendarmes!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Lol!
I'm old, and like the smell of gasoline.
Like noise too!
Redoing my Pantera this winter.
180 degree headers, no baffles.
Solid roller.
Gonna be crankey!!!!!!
Mark