Butyl-Covered Foam?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm doing my homework for the impending pulley swap and have a question for our GT experts. The Ford Workshop Manual states that in the process of accessing the drive belt, I will need to remove and replace the butyl-covered foam around the engine cover opening. I haven't pulled the interior engine cover yet, so I'm looking for advice as to whether or not I will actually have to replace this mystical butyl-covered foam.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Having watched the process performed by the experts and having read the same section of the manual, I can say the manual is in error. The Supercharger is pulled, the snout removed, the old pully pressed off and the new one on; reverse the proceedure.

Others will have better advice.

Pete S.

I think.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I can say the manual is in error. The Supercharger is pulled, the snout removed, the old pully pressed off and the new one on; reverse the proceedure....

That's how my mechanic at Mossy Ford did it - no problems

Also - Jay (Analogdesigner) at GTSaver has a gasket to eliminate putting on new foam, if you ever want to remove the cover for any other reason.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Waldo, there is a piece of translucent plastic covering the access hole with the black "goo" surrounding it and holding it on. If you want an easy look at what it's like, take the SJB cover off in the passenger footwell. The fuse box and SJB are covered in the same manner. AnalogDesigner does have a gasket to replace this, but someone else (sdmnjay?) just posted pictures of his homemade center cover and described making a gasket himself. You might look for that post.

Aug 25, 2006
PM or call me and I will gladly walk you through the process.

All the best

Shadowman

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Well, not exactly. I did make my own center console and replaced the engine access panel with a lexan window. I used an Analog Designer gasket sourced from Shadowman which fit and works perfectly. However, in my previous post I did mention that making your own gasket is a definite possibilty.

Howard

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
You do not need to pull the engine access cover. It will not aid (much) in changing the belt if you choose. If you do change the belt, you need to remove the oil pump belt and when putting it back you have to re-set the tensioner. The mark is on the top side and may be visible thru the acess door. I just used a mirror from below.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gents,

Thanks one and all for the words of wisdom.

Shadowman,

I will try to give you a call. in the next few days to discuss the finer points of completing this project.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
By the way I have a pulley and real nice belt to sell for $200. I put one on my car and dynoed 610HP. I local guy wanted it and changed his mind. If you take the pulley and your supercharger to a speed shop with the right type puller and re-installer you don't need to seperate the snout and have to change the fairly expensive oil. This is a pretty inexpensive extra 100HP.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
PM or call me and I will gladly walk you through the process.

All the best

Shadowman

btw Roush Performance has The Best pdf instruction sheet on changing out the pully. It can be down loaded from their site.

They offer the smaller pully and ProCal tuner kit for about $900. Just wondering out loud if anyone has installed it on their GT.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I used their instructions for the most part. They are good.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I noticed that Roush replaces the supercharger belt. I didn't see that mentioned in the instructions for the Ford Racing pulley kit. What's the general consensus on the need to run a smaller belt with a 2.7" pulley?

Best Regards,
Waldo

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
In Step 20 of the Ford Racing instructions, it explains that the supplied shims under the Power Steering Pump are installed to allow use of the stock belt.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
In Step 20 of the Ford Racing instructions, it explains that the supplied shims under the Power Steering Pump are installed to allow use of the stock belt.

D'oh! Good catch.