Build Dates to Avoid?

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
Hello all. I am looking into buying a GT, but I was wondering if there were certain build months, or VIN ranges to avoid. A lot of GT's out there tend to have low miles and tended to be garage queens, so its not like the kinks were worked out after normal use on some. While I would love to buy a new one, it might not be possible due to budget constraints. Any thoughts on what to avoid, if anything? TIA

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The first 450-500 cars in 2005 were recalled, but that's not an issue for most people. These were also probably the most expensive cars to buy as many were selling for up to 2x msrp.
Like all cars, some of the GT's have been problematic, but most have been very reliable, as evidenced by scores of owners increasing HP by 100-500+ without creating problems. Do your due-dilligence. Check the maintenance history of the car before you buy one, and enjoy the race car warranty.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hello all. I am looking into buying a GT, but I was wondering if there were certain build months, or VIN ranges to avoid. A lot of GT's out there tend to have low miles and tended to be garage queens, so its not like the kinks were worked out after normal use on some. While I would love to buy a new one, it might not be possible due to budget constraints. Any thoughts on what to avoid, if anything? TIA

'Not aware of any particular months/VINs to avoid ... but, as a general rule, on a "limited production car", the "odds"(?) would seem to favor buying a later production car 'cause any pblms the factory might find would tend to be found earlier in the "run". Also, the more cars built - the more expert the assbly people get in doin' what they do. But, that being said, I've not seen any MASS of '05 owners on this site who've declaired THEIR car to be a "lemon" either! So, there you go! Ford seems to have had this car pretty much "right on" from the get-go. They DID make some changers "early on", but those arn't an issue.

'Suggestion? (And don't take this as "meaning" or "being" anything other than what it is MENT to be - just a straight forward suggestion.) If what you're MAINLY looking for is PERFORMANCE, and you think you might have a budget constraint situation buying a GT, why don't you take a real close "squint" at the new 427 ZO6 Corvette before you buy anything??? Seriously. They are DARNED CLOSE in performance to the GT and you can buy a NEW one of those for half what even a used GT will cost ya. And - BINGO - budget be darned! You won't even need to think about that messy topic! Write a check, 'car is yours, end of hastle!:biggrin

But, if you're dead set on a GT - PERIOD - for whatever reason, then forget I even made that last suggestion!:lol

Good luck, Sir.

E.P.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
As I understand all cars up to #448 05's had the control arms swapped out. Only a few hundred were done in the field and the rest were done at the factory before being shipped. I think the crank seals were done only if a problem arose. I heard if it was going to leak at the crank it happend right away.
If the fit and finnish are good then I would not be afraid which year it is.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The 06's had better build Quality, So buy an 06 if you can.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

I gotta be honest with you. I can tell no quality difference what-so-ever between my '05 and '06 GTs.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho

That could be debated. Pros & cons with either year.:wink

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
I definitely considered a Z06, but it was not as an alternative to a GT. The alternative cars I am looking at are the Gallardo, 360 and Bentley GT. Ford GT is at the top of the list. If was only concerned about performance, the fact is I can easily build a faster car than a Z06 or GT for much less money than a Z06. Been there, done that.
I guess I am kind of hoping an '05 would be a safe bet since my son was born that year and I thought it would be cool to buy a 2005 car that I could give him later on someday. I really dont imagine the other cars will age as gracefully as the GT.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I really dont imagine the other cars will age as gracefully as the GT.
This is right on target. I think a GT will age better than any new production car you can be today! Hell it is already more than 40 years old, it only gets better with age.

BlackICE

racegirl

'Not aware of any particular months/VINs to avoid ... but, as a general rule, on a "limited production car", the "odds"(?) would seem to favor buying a later production car 'cause any pblms the factory might find would tend to be found earlier in the "run". Also, the more cars built - the more expert the assbly people get in doin' what they do. But, that being said, I've not seen any MASS of '05 owners on this site who've declaired THEIR car to be a "lemon" either! So, there you go! Ford seems to have had this car pretty much "right on" from the get-go. They DID make some changers "early on", but those arn't an issue.

'Suggestion? (And don't take this as "meaning" or "being" anything other than what it is MENT to be - just a straight forward suggestion.) If what you're MAINLY looking for is PERFORMANCE, and you think you might have a budget constraint situation buying a GT, why don't you take a real close "squint" at the new 427 ZO6 Corvette before you buy anything??? Seriously. They are DARNED CLOSE in performance to the GT and you can buy a NEW one of those for half what even a used GT will cost ya. And - BINGO - budget be darned! You won't even need to think about that messy topic! Write a check, 'car is yours, end of hastle!:biggrin

But, if you're dead set on a GT - PERIOD - for whatever reason, then forget I even made that last suggestion!:lol

Good luck, Sir.

E.P.

I am a big fan of fords, So for obvious reasons I would pick the GT over the Z06 anyday. I really do love the Z06, although a corvette mechanic I talked to said if you are looking for a car to modify and get maximum output...go with the GT. The Z06 and GT are comparable stock, but he said that the Z06 HP is pretty maxed out at 500 HP BUT i've been researching on the internet and that doesn't seem to be the case, as some Z06s are approaching almost 800 HP.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I definitely considered a Z06, but it was not as an alternative to a GT. The alternative cars I am looking at are the Gallardo, 360 and Bentley GT. Ford GT is at the top of the list. If was only concerned about performance, the fact is I can easily build a faster car than a Z06 or GT for much less money than a Z06. Been there, done that.
I guess I am kind of hoping an '05 would be a safe bet since my son was born that year and I thought it would be cool to buy a 2005 car that I could give him later on someday. I really dont imagine the other cars will age as gracefully as the GT.

Aaaaaaaaah! Gotcha.
Yup. An '05 would be the way to go then for the reasons you stated! For the reasons I mentioned, I'd go with the latest build '05 I could find.

I was deciding between the "430", the Gallardo & the GT myself. 'Decided on the GT because: it's quicker & faster than the other two, it won't become "yesterday's news", MOST of the $$$ spent will stay in the U.S., the GT pbly won't depreciate too much B4 the prices start back UP, and a host of other reasons. In short - it made by far the most sense.

Now, that BENTLEY is in a whole 'nuthur category entirely! Outrageous comfort - and it STILL performs! But it's a totally different kinda performance than the other cars.

'TOUGH CHOICE! You have my sympathies!:lol (Or envy. 'Not too sure which!)

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
This is right on target. I think a GT will age better than any new production car you can be today! Hell it is already more than 40 years old, it only gets better with age.

BlackICE

Gallardo already looks dated to me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Z06 and GT are comparable stock, but he said that the Z06 HP is pretty maxed out at 500 HP BUT i've been researching on the internet and that doesn't seem to be the case, as some Z06s are approaching almost 800 HP.

Until I bought my GT, I was a die hard Bowtie boy ...'built a couple in my day ... & trust me, that 427 isn't even CLOSE to being maxed out at 505hp!:lol So, YOUR research is correct & whomever told you otherwise is mistaken.

In fact, as we speek (type?), GM reportedly has a supercharged ZO6 "mule" running around code named "Blue Devil" or "Blue Demon" (or whatever) that's a test bed for the NEXT generation mill. 'Rumored to put out an easy 750hp.

Maybe the "good old days" of the H.P. wars are here again?!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I definitely considered a Z06, but it was not as an alternative to a GT. Ford GT is at the top of the list. If was only concerned about performance, the fact is I can easily build a faster car than a Z06 or GT for much less money than a Z06. Been there, done that.

I went through a very similar thought process. I considered the Z06, AMV8, and the Z8. My wife, God bless her, told me I should forget about the others, be patient, and get the car I really wanted- the GT. Last week when I found an early to mid build '05 with 2,900 miles that was optioned the way I wanted, I decided I had been patient enough. Life's too short. Good luck with your search.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
"Now, that BENTLEY is in a whole 'nuthur category entirely! Outrageous comfort - and it STILL performs! But it's a totally different kinda performance than the other cars."

Completely agree.

The Bentley is fun, I recently bought the convertible, but it's an entirely different car to the Ford GT. It's quick, but that's not what it's for - it's for wafting around the South of France in (which is what I'll use it for). The Ford is for squirting and giggling - it's much more fun to drive. And, as stated so many times here, the Ford is eye-wateringly beautiful, the Bentley is a luxury brick in comparison.

I don't pull the Bentley out of the garage and just look at it - nice though it is. The Ford is art on wheels with the additional benefit of a performance to match.

Good luck in your quest - I have a 2005 Ford, 1500 and something from memory. 5,000 miles on the dials and no problems. I changed the halfshaft bolts before anything happened, added a transaxle cooler (thanks Dave), added a vent breather (thanks Roushe), added the aluminium coil covers (thanks Eric).

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." :biggrin

...and we're on a mission from God. :cheers

M

Mark O

my son was born that year and I thought it would be cool to buy a 2005 car that I could give him later on someday.

I'm available for adoption, providing you don't mind a 47 year old son. :biggrin :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I am a big fan of fords, So for obvious reasons I would pick the GT over the Z06 anyday. I really do love the Z06, although a corvette mechanic I talked to said if you are looking for a car to modify and get maximum output...go with the GT. The Z06 and GT are comparable stock, but he said that the Z06 HP is pretty maxed out at 500 HP BUT i've been researching on the internet and that doesn't seem to be the case, as some Z06s are approaching almost 800 HP.

My GT with a mild tune on Whipple set up for California gas is putting 750rwhp, 800+rwhp with a GT is very doable.

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Along with my GT, I have a Gallardo and new Z06. The GT beats them in every category except maybe comfort. Everyone who looks at all three cars always likes the GT best. It will never go out of style.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
2005 Fgt

My 2005 has been perfect so far. You can not do better than perfect!

did I mention it is also fast :banana