Bridgestone vs. Hoosier Opinions

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I know there are many tire threads and I have read where many people like the Bridgestones and others Hoosiers. I have narrowed my choices down to these two tires but was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to actually try both? If someone has tried both of these tires on their FGT I would love to know what your opinions are after trying each?

Thanks!

H

HHGT

Rain vs. no Rain!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with HHGT, plus on the streets, the Hoosiers wear out MUCH MUCH MUCH faster. But that's offset by how much grippier they are. OOOOOHHHHH SOOOOOO much more grippy.
For what it's worth, I LOVE the 'stones I'm currently rolling with.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The hoosier is a race tire, that is sort of "legal" for the street. This means i is sticky as heck, not much rubber and wont last very long. BUT for the time you run it, it will perform unlike any "street" tire. FWIW I took a new set to Rally 6 at Miller, and I corded badly the Rt front. My inexperience with the track, did not allow me to realize I should have rotated sides, so wear was not linear, but the point is the tires are done, and as I was doing a lot of "thrill rides" I was on the track a fair amount.

Bridgestones are a street tire (in the "ultra performance" catagory). They will be full tread depth, and will be a huge improvement over the GY oem! But will not stick like the hoosier, but will last "longer", making the assumption you are not tracking near the limits and you tear up the full tread depth (usually called chunking, which the fix it to shave the tire in advance).

So the questions to ask your self: Do you need the traction on a track (either in the rear, if you have turbos etc, or road course tracking), Do you care that an R6 will not give you many "miles"? Is getting caught in the rain a factor (or you could have R6's custom cut with some rain grooves, see mulletts link on his source).

I drive R6's all the time FWIW

Hope this helps.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I seldom if ever drive in the rain. How long they last is also no concern to me at all.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Also, I use them for joy rides on the weekends and occasional mountain drives with some friends and their cars. I use the Ariel Atom I have for the track fun.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I seldom if ever drive in the rain. How long they last is also no concern to me at all.

Also, I use them for joy rides on the weekends and occasional mountain drives with some friends and their cars. I use the Ariel Atom I have for the track fun.

^^^ Based on that, if I was you I'd get the Hoosiers and never look back.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Any feedback on the amount of road debris that the Hoosiers pick up and throw on the car compared to the GY or Bridgestones?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
big HP you need the Hoosier. Get grooves cut in them like I did. I have driven at 55 mph on those and they were fine enough to get me where I needed to go.

02bf0b79.jpg

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I use Hoosier R-6s all the time, street and track. They stick so much better than anything else I can't imagine going back to street tires. That said, I never drive in the rain and if I was going on a long road trip I would use the Bridgestones.

Chip

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
I have Pirelli PZero Corsa System... Has anyone tried this tire ???, I think it is a stickier tire then the Bridgestone. Check all the specs on this tire.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For Rally VI, I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires - They are about as sticky as you can get in a street tire, before going the Hoosier route. I drove to Salt Lake City and back on them, plus all the laps at Miller Motorsports Park. I was extremely satisfied with their track performance, after doing some pressure level tests on the 1st day. Very worthy tire! :thumbsup

"Pilot Sport Cup Track & Competition DOT radials benefit from the same attention to detail that has earned Michelin repeated successes at major endurance races like the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. The Pilot Sport Cup was developed for enthusiasts who participate in track events, as well as for serious drivers on the road. Pilot Sport Cup tires are not intended to be driven on extremely wet roads with standing water where there is the risk of hydroplaning, or in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Sport Cup features a dual zone, side-by-side tread compound with the outboard compound optimized for dry traction and handling while the inboard compound is focused on wet traction. These tread compounds are molded into an asymmetric tread design that features a massive outer shoulder rib to further enhance steering response and cornering stability while circumferential grooves and independent tread blocks on the tread design's inboard portion enhance wet traction."

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Personally, I couldn't recommend the Hoosier as an everyday street tire. Although an exceptional track tire and VERY lightweight - it lacks the reinforcements that other tires have to deal with hazards (rocks, trash, irons, kitchen sinks, etc.) that we find common in our modern roadways.

H

HHGT

I wish they made these.

Attachments

• ford-gt-tire.JPG
    ford-gt-tire.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 418

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I wish they made these.

+1

Notice they are not "rubber band profile" tires. :bored

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I have Pirelli PZero Corsa System... Has anyone tried this tire ???, I think it is a stickier tire then the Bridgestone. Check all the specs on this tire.

I have heard great things about this tire as I believe it was/is an option on the on the AMV8 oem. Also have good things about the r888's. I would go with one of these tires if looking for a stout street/road course tire.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What ever tire you decide on ,be sure to have a tire plug kit in your trunk.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Personally, I couldn't recommend the Hoosier as an everyday street tire. Although an exceptional track tire and VERY lightweight - it lacks the reinforcements that other tires have to deal with hazards (rocks, trash, irons, kitchen sinks, etc.) that we find common in our modern roadways.

Also prone to slow rim leaks.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have two sets of wheels, Bridgestones for the winter and normal driving. I would also use the Bridgestones on the track if ambient temps are below, say 50 (I haven't been in that position yet). Then the Hoosiers for normal track days and other hot sunny days (where spirited driving might come into play). The Hoosiers are definitely sticker if you can get a little heat in them, about the same as the Bridgestones when the road surface is < 50 deg. The Hoosiers also make a lot more road noise IMHO and of course they wear faster.

2 cents added.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Get a set of R6's, done.... What the worst that happens, you dont like them, for what ever reason, and you go different route for the next she of "shoes". You will for sure NOT be disapointed with the R'6 "stick"! I have used several sets at this point.