Borla X-Pipe

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Like some of you other forum members I got acquainted with Alex Borla at Le Mans this year. I got to see him again at SEMA a week ago. He told me you know Brian you need to put your GT on a diet... anytime I can save some weight in my sports car I'm going to listen!.

Borla has a long relationship with Ford. They've been building X pipes for Ford performance for the new GT . I think things are coming slow for this car but they should end up in the catalog at some point in time.. .
Alex invited me to come tour their facility in Tennessee and he said hey while you're there we can test fit our titanium x pipe. ..How can you pass up an offer like that!

Borla has a state-of-the-art manufacturing and R&D facility in Johnson City Tennessee. Over 36000 square feet.!!

You got to love a company who has a checkered flag painted in their main roadway! They have all kinds of cool hardware and race memorabilia spread out through the factory

I'll share more details when I get the time. I can tell you this they weighed the stock Muffler 31.4 lb and the final version of the titanium x pipe should be around 7 lbs or less !!I

The other thing I can share is it sounded great!!. it had a good deep mellow sound almost exactly like the muffler.. to be honest I really couldn't tell the difference. Which was kind of shocking.. I was expecting a little more noise and raspiness

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm still on the road returning from SEMA but I wanted to post a few pictures and say thank you Alex for your hospitality!!!

Attachments

• 20171113_164924.jpg
    20171113_164924.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 522
  • 20171110_103329.jpg
    20171110_103329.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 20171110_125233.jpg
    20171110_125233.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 20171113_091005.jpg
    20171113_091005.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 20171113_132349.jpg
    20171113_132349.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Brian,

Photos or it never happened.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What took you so long?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What took you so long?
:biggrin.
Hey man... I'm still on the road. Be back in Florida tomorrow!. . Going to bed now

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Nice Brian! I am glad you took him up on the offer. I hope to visit him too one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
You will end up with the most mods on a NGT. Nice weight reduction. For your next track day you will need BOP adjustment!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You will end up with the most mods on a NGT. Nice weight reduction. For your next track day you will need BOP adjustment!
:biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Thoroughly enjoyed dinner with Alex and his lovely wife at SEMA. They shared the story on their Company's founding and its early years, it was epic!!

Specific to the new Ford GT, Borla will have quite a bit of work to improve on the GT's standard exhaust. While visiting Roush 777 during vehicle development I saw a pile (literally) of prospective exhaust candidates that were built, fitted and rejected for various reasons. It's a really tough application, very small packaging area combined with nominal opportunity for real performance gains., without sacrificing durability. But if there is something to be found, Alex will find it.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
It's great that you guys are taking these cars apart already.
Hot rodding lives!!!!!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Very cool Brian. Must be awesome to work with these manufacturers for aftermarket performance parts. I'm jealous.

Vince H.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well if your only "performance gain" is to be louder (which is all i really expect from just a bolt on exhaust), this might just be the ticket.

Specific to the new Ford GT, Borla will have quite a bit of work to improve on the GT's standard exhaust. It's a really tough application, very small packaging area combined with nominal opportunity for real performance gains., without sacrificing durability. .

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
From the man......

Well if your only "performance gain" is to be louder (which is all I really expect from just a bolt on exhaust), this might just be the ticket.

Gentlemen,

Taking 35-40 lbs out of the rear end of a track car is not trivial. I doubt that little if any horsepower gains will result but as Colin Chapman said........

Attachments

• Chapman.jpg
    Chapman.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 300

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
If stock exhaust is 31 lbs, What is the weight of the optional titanium exhaust?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Supposed to be 20 lbs lighter, so that would be about 11 lbs. Seems too light--maybe the stock exhaust weighs a bit more.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Supposed to be 20 lbs lighter, so that would be about 11 lbs. Seems too light--maybe the stock exhaust weighs a bit more.

never heard the optional Ford TI exhaust it 20lbs lighter.. 17lbs comes to mind.. I'll have to check my notes.. it's been almost a year since I placed my order. A 24lb to 25 lb weight savings with the x-pipe is huge... !!

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
never heard the optional Ford TI exhaust it being 20lbs lighter.. 17lbs comes to mind.. I'll have to check my notes.. it's been almost a year since I placed my order. A 24lb to 25 lb weight savings with the x-pipe is huge... !!

Gentlemen,

I was told that the factory Ti exhaust is 22 lbs lighter than the standard stainless steel exhaust. The factory Ti unit still has the big canister which has to weigh at least 10 pounds. So I'm estimating the factory stainless exhaust weighs around 40 to 45 lbs. I don't know that but I bet I'm close. An aftermarket simple Ti X-pipe with no canister would probably only weigh 5 lbs. I'm sure it won't be long before somebody chimes in with actual weights. Cheers.

Chip

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Gentlemen,

I was told that the factory Ti exhaust is 22 lbs lighter than the standard stainless steel exhaust. The factory Ti unit still has the big canister which has to weigh at least 10 pounds. So I'm estimating the factory stainless exhaust weighs around 40 to 45 lbs. I don't know that but I bet I'm close. An aftermarket simple Ti X-pipe with no canister would probably only weigh 5 lbs. I'm sure it won't be long before somebody chimes in with actual weights. Cheers.

Chip

Someone did:biggrin.. See post #1..when I was at the Borla factory someone took the muffler and weight it. They brought it back with this post note on it. Now that I'm back here I will reconfirm the weight.....
I don't know what the configuration of the factory titanium exhaust is. If it's an x pipe or has a muffler integrated.. I'm with chip. I'm not that crazy about the exhaust tips on the titanium factory version. The black bezels work the best with my combination

If it does have a muffler it's probably a little more complex than the x pipe so it's probably a little heavier. As mentioned the x-pipe on my car is a little under 7 lbs without some tips on it that should add a few ounces but not much.

Attachments

• 20171110_153044.jpg
    20171110_153044.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 277

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Brian -

So you are saying there is no noticeable sound difference between an x-pipe and a stock exhaust?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Brian -

So you are saying there is no noticeable sound difference between an x-pipe and a stock exhaust?

Brian,

He's not saying anything. He writing, but yes, you read/heard that right. Haha!

Vince H

** I was surprised by that as well. **