Boost line to use for Speedhut Boost gauge?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Just installed the new cluster from Speedhut and the boost gauge isn't working.

It's a legacy (0-30 PSI) boost gauge with sensor. I get zero at all times. I'm wondering if I used the wrong line for this connection?

This is where I tapped into..

aaee77bc-c13e-4b22-97c1-60d147d7f184_zpsqsgrdoip.jpg

Should I have tapped here instead? Am I only getting vacuum now?

20150505_000352_zpsdfxtrj7f.jpg

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
the first place you chose is vacuum for the blower bypass valve the second spot is the fuel pressure sensor. Manifold pressure sensor is right behind it so I would think there would be boost there.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
That's what I'm thinking...so I'll move it and try! Thanks for the input!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
If you follow that around the front of the rail behind the hose you will see a capped spot you can tee into for boost/vac

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there an ideal location for a mechanical gauge connection?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Where I suggested above.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks, I wasn't sure if FBA's "Legacy" unit meant mechanical and was not seeing how the sending unit would have tapped into the lines pictured.

I was expecting having to go into the inter cooler case.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Above the rotors is vacuum only, below the rotors is boost and vacuum.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I will take a pic of my mechanical sending unit so we can all be talking apples to apples. (or at least those trying to answer my piggy backed question).

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
If not, I'm moving it tomorrow and will post up. Interestingly enough, Im not hugely impressed with the Speedhut replacement.

1) Panel is painted black and looks cheap compared to the OEM panel, which will not fit anyway.
2) My voltage gauge fluctuates from time to time
3) Backlighting is very dim compared to the OEM gauges.

All that said, it's certainly a reasonable solution to the problem, but if you need a 30 PSI boost gauge, which I do, you don't have a lot of choices. I would have preferred the OEM gauges, if I could have found a 30 PSI gauge.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
If not, I'm moving it tomorrow and will post up. Interestingly enough, Im not hugely impressed with the Speedhut replacement.

1) Panel is painted black and looks cheap compared to the OEM panel, which will not fit anyway.
2) My voltage gauge fluctuates from time to time
3) Backlighting is very dim compared to the OEM gauges.

All that said, it's certainly a reasonable solution to the problem, but if you need a 30 PSI boost gauge, which I do, you don't have a lot of choices. I would have preferred the OEM gauges, if I could have found a 30 PSI gauge.

I don't know if this site is still active, but did you see this gauge?

http://www.fordgtparts.com/electronics/ford-gt-30-psi-boost-gauge-by-brito-speed-link-only/

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought Speedhut was now offering a black hard-coat anodized, brushed aluminum panel like the stock unit?

This is a pic of the sending unit. I had not looked at it for while, so I only remembered the 1/4" pipe thread on the sending unit and did not notice the plastic tee and hose. I am guessing it is the same as your sending unit?

102_1927.jpg

I was going to look for a 1/4" pipe plug anywhere below the Blower to screw this sending unit into. It might not exist without disassembly and drilling and tapping.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't know if this site is still active, but did you see this gauge?

http://www.fordgtparts.com/electronics/ford-gt-30-psi-boost-gauge-by-brito-speed-link-only/

Are those still around? Weren't they like $1900 for just the one gauge?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I thought Speedhut was now offering a black hard-coat anodized, brushed aluminum panel like the stock unit?

This is a pic of the sending unit. I had not looked at it for while, so I only remembered the 1/4" pipe thread on the sending unit and did not notice the plastic tee and hose. I am guessing it is the same as your sending unit?

View attachment 38121

I was going to look for a 1/4" pipe plug anywhere below the Blower to screw this sending unit into. It might not exist without disassembly and drilling and tapping.
On the front of engine, passenger side, on the intake manifold just behind the fuel rail and radiator hose is a vacuum nipple. I used this and it worked out very well.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Bingo!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks again.

Did you just zip tie the sensor to something?

How long was your lead from engine to dash?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I went back to the speedhut site. They do not have hard coat anodized dash panels like OEM.

as a side hobby, I manufacture side handles for high end McIntosh home stereo units (current models only) and have parts milled and hard coat anodized up here in the Aerospace industry. I am going to get my plain brushed aluminum panel anodized. If anybody wants one done, let me know. I have a batch of handles being milled as we write.

I can probably keep cost to less than 20 bucks plus shipping.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Side note...if yourunles

If the backlighting is poor, you have a defective power inverter which they will warranty. I had that issue. Now they might up like,stock

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Maybe it's me...it just seems like the light is very low.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Couple of things
1) I don't think the Britto gauges were that much but it's been a while. If memory serves freeflyer (member here) created those things, you might reach out to him.
2) freeflyer also advised me on ways to adjust the led brightness of individual gauges so if one seems dark you can change it individually (not sure if I understood the post to say one or all gauges seemed darker than OEM).
3) I have a local shop that manufactures gauge panels for me in carbon fiber. They do so without any cut-outs so you can use whatever gauges you want (stock, speedhut, MoTeC). Contact Douge Smith at AirCommand (469) 688-6985 for details on that.