Body Gaps Fixed

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
I have a 2005 Ford GT which had uneven body gaps from the factory on the passenger side engine clam shell and the front hood. I asked my local Ford dealership to fix the problem. Their body man looked at it and said, “It is a Ford GT. I am not touching it.”

I told the dealership that I had a friend, Bob Cunningham, who painted my
1966 Shelby GT350, and I was sure he could fix it. The dealership talked to Ford. Ford asked that I submit pictures and an estimate. I submitted the information and Ford approved it.

Attached are the pictures before and after.

After Bob had finished his work another friend at the shop observed Bob checking the gap with a micrometer. Bob and I both race SCCA. One time at the track I was looking at Bob’s jack stands. They were red on top and gray on the bottom – the same colors as his car. I said something about – “Is anal retentive hyphenated?” But then that is what I want in my body man.

Bob’s shop is in San Pedro. His number is 310 832-4309.

GT Bill

Attachments

• GT body gaps018.jpg
    GT body gaps018.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Body Gaps After Bob-11.jpg
    Body Gaps After Bob-11.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 243
  • GT body gaps039.jpg
    GT body gaps039.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 238
  • GT body gaps049.jpg
    GT body gaps049.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Body Gaps After Bob-13.jpg
    Body Gaps After Bob-13.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 237
Aug 25, 2006
Very nice

Knowing that each of the gals were assembled by hand as viewed through a pair and or group of subjective eyes there is little wonder why the panel gaps from gal to gal can be so varied nevertheless given some TLC and experience after the fact they can (as evidenced in these photos) be improved on many of the gals.

Now having shared this I have come to accept character differences on these gals as well as other exotic gals as a component of their personality.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and experience.

Takes care

Shadowman