Blog Post about Ford GT and Exotic Car Depreciation

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey Guys,

I just posted about exotic car depreciation over at Edmunds.com. I make a special mention about the Ford GT versus other exotic cars' depreciation. If you want to read it you can see the post here:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
enzo
great article
iyou have my vote as "the official gt mouth peice"

good job

sam
#1451-----------red/white

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
ENZO BTR. Excellent article. Your 'vision' is spot on! Why, I even sent the link of your article to my wife to prove to her, again, how smart I was in my GT purchase (that is also not for sale). John

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Excellent stuff .

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Nicely done Karl. How many miles do you have now? Hope all is well, Steve

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I just turned over 7,300 miles on the way back from work today. Love the car and LOVE this weather! :thumbsup

BTW, anyone who wants to see the regular (at least once a week) updates on the "long-term" Ford GT ownership experience at Edmunds can read them all here:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2005FordGT

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Karl,

Wonderful write up.

Are you going to be at the Cars and Coffee tomorrow? I would like to meet you.

I'm at 2,500 miles, having just received my 2006 in October of last year.

That's great that you have over 7,000 miles. I wonder who has the current mileage record...

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Thanks for the good words. Always easy to effuse passion about this car.

I keep meaning to make Cars & Coffee (still haven't made it down there since the switch from CC, but hear it's great!). Unfortunately it's about 100 miles for me (I'm in Ventura county) so the departure time has to be around 5 a.m. (which is only 4 hours from now because I'm staying up reading this forum!! :lol ).

Gotta make is soon, but not tomorrow.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
ENZO BTR - since you're in Ventura County, come on over to Woodland Hills/Calabasas on any Sunday morning... nice selection of Italian exotics, some muscle and CobraKits, and the odd Auburn Boattail Speedster or dual-cowl Rolls...

www.supercarsunday.com for directions.... just off the 101 at Valley Circle, at the mall parking lot...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
PL510Jeff probably has the most logged miles, and Camillo is up there too.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Great read...and outstanding write. Nice job!!!

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Well said!!

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
PL510Jeff probably has the most logged miles, and Camillo is up there too.

Camilo had 20,500 miles last week with a trip to The Florida Keys planned last Wendsday, weather permitting. I hear the GTX1 has more than 40k on the clock.

Keith

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
20K is impressive.

But 40K, I never would have expected that! Cool. With 40K, I bet there are a lot of fun stories...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
still some GTs at dealers for sale

My Ford dealer has sold 6 GTs (one of them twice so does count as 7?). He has one left on the showroom floor & he says that's it! My GT was one of the 6. He looked up on the Ford dealer site when I was there on Firday & it shows 13 GTs in dealer inventories for Central & Northern CA combined as of Feb 16. It shows a "150 day supply" for SoCal which we think means around 40-50 GTs. Does that sound right?

Great article but there still are GTs out there for sale.

Ed

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Cudacharlie,

So I got up this morning fully intending to go to the Sunday meet (I was there about two months ago with my 1970 Callenger R/T SE). But the GT was a bit dusty and had some water spots on it, so I thought "I'll just hose it off and dry it quickly." I did that, but then realized the wheels were quite dirty (I've put on several coats of Zaino polish in the past month, but haven't focused on the wheels yet). By the time I finished cleaning them it was 9 a.m. and I figured I was too late. So then I thought "Another round of Z6 finishing polish wouldn't hurt." So I polished the entire car (for the third time in four weeks), and then added that polish to the wheels (first time I've donw more than just wipe them down with a damp cloth). Then I did the windows with glass cleaner...and then I detailed the engine compartment (first time I've ever done that, too). Finally, I added a coat of tire black (another first for me).

I was done at 11:30, and while part of me was bummed about missing the weekly car meet I somehow still felt really great about the morning.

I've never been more familiar with my GT than I am right now. Damn these cars are beautiful!!!

And just to complete the morning, I crawled under the purple Challenger and fixed the exhaust leak. Fitting activities on the day of the Daytona 500, I guess.

Last edited:

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Fgt

Karl,

i wonderful article and you hit the spot on how I feel. I have alot of sport cars including a 2006 F430F1 and I like my FGT better. Mine is blue like your article picture.

Alot of my freinds who have several exotic cars that have FGT's rave about the power and the handling they have. One of these gentleman has an Enzo in addition to a F430, Turbo Porsche to name a few. he said it is so much fun to drive and so easy to enjoy he will never part with it. I agree.

Great job.

Lee

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Enzo, how can you detail so fast?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Only because I started with a (relatively) clean car. Also becasue I didn't do anything to the interior. That said, the engine compartment detailing was basically a wipe down of all the major surfaces with damp cloth. I know to really do it right involves Q-Tips, toothbrushes and yet more polish. Thankfully, after 7,500 miles the engine compartment was almost shockingly clean before I even started. There aren't a lot of areas that naturally collect major grime.

And there's always next weekend...:wink