Farmington CT USA
What would be the best tire on the market to replacement OEM ,
Tire brand and size..

Thanks

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
Why are you replacing? From wear, or are you looking for better performance?

That is a great question, however, as I am sure many on this site have worn their tires because of slightly faster than average starts. I'll be watching any answers that come your way, and then file it away in my GT info for future reference.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I am not a big fan of Goodyear from past experience on my other cars. However when checking for rubber for my 6 spoke set of wheels my tire dealer could not find any compnay that makes the sizes for all four corners. I usually do not like to run 2 different makes of tires on a vehicle unless it is the drag strip. The only company to cover fronts and rears so far is Goodyear. Not cheap either.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA

That is a great question, however, as I am sure many on this site have worn their tires because of slightly faster than average starts. I'll be watching any answers that come your way, and then file it away in my GT info for future reference.

Certainly not wear , car only has 920miles, I was thinking about changing my wheels and performance tires.. Just a thought, looking at options..

Thanks Performance / look

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA

Certainly not wear , car only has 920miles, I was thinking about changing my wheels and performance tires.. Just a thought, looking at options..

Thanks
Performance / look

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have been waiting for the right size rubber for our gals for 9 months now. :mad Someone better come up w/ our sizes soon......

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
what if we get orphaned? does anybody remember the Mustang with the TRX wheels and tires?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Guys the Nitto's are exactly what we are looking for. They are fantastic on my Vette. I sent Nitto and email on their website about the GT. If you all pile on board, and send them in as well we may get some help. They sent a nice response back and said they would seriously consider it.

I have used the R2's for the ZO6. Think of them as an ALMS rain tire. They are fairly priced, very sticky. You can drive on them to the track or just leave them on all the time like I do. They are affiliated with Toyo, the Toyo version is the Proxes Ra1. They built tires for the C5 Z06 and C6. Drive decent and you get about 8,000 street miles.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.contact

Click Technical and consumer.

AZTungsten

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 2, 2007
So. Arizona
Inquiry sent. Thanks for the contact link.
Guys the Nitto's are exactly what we are looking for. They are fantastic on my Vette. I sent Nitto and email on their website about the GT. If you all pile on board, and send them in as well we may get some help. They sent a nice response back and said they would seriously consider it.

I have used the R2's for the ZO6. Think of them as an ALMS rain tire. They are fairly priced, very sticky. You can drive on them to the track or just leave them on all the time like I do. They are affiliated with Toyo, the Toyo version is the Proxes Ra1. They built tires for the C5 Z06 and C6. Drive decent and you get about 8,000 street miles.

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006

sent request

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
I sent a request to Nitto

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA

Request sent

Thanks for the info

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
request sent

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Request sent. Any updates on this? I need some new tires soon.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
request sent....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I got back a response from Nitto that they don't have any plans to make a tire for the GT.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
slicks for the road? the G factor

The Hoosiers are seeming more tame to me as the miles build up. I'll let you know how the Goodyear slicks I just ordered from http://www.ccwheel.com work on the dry road.

Ed

PS I know- road hazards, liquids, etc are bad. It is unsafe & I don't recommend it for anyone else. Black Ice - let's use your Drift Box to see if it's worth it on the G scale!

PPS I bought them & the C14 wheels for the track but I have to try them on the road.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Hoosiers are seeming more tame to me as the miles build up. I'll let you know how the Goodyear slicks I just ordered from http://www.ccwheel.com work on the dry road.

Ed

PS I know- road hazards, liquids, etc are bad. It is unsafe & I don't recommend it for anyone else. Black Ice - let's use your Drift Box to see if it's worth it on the G scale!

PPS I bought them & the C14 wheels for the track but I have to try them on the road.

I pulled 1.1 G on the autocross durning the Rally with the stock tires. The slicks should do even better, maybe 1.2 or 1.3 G.

Let me know when you need the Driftbox.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
At least at the track you will get hooked on the slicks. I was using them on my Zo6, unfortunately the size I was using is out of production now. You can get some very decent scrubs from the AMLS guys at Berget Tire or Bobby Archer Motorsports for pretty cheap. John is also pretty reasonable at CCW for the new stuff.

One thing to watch for is the compounds when buying scrubs. In the north and north east they run a compound that is not real friendly with the southwest heat. They are sweet for session one, two but get real greasy after.

In general you should notice quicker braking and faster acceleration as the weight per tire diff was close to 10lbs. Breakaway was pretty neutral and progressive. I drove them on the street for a few days to try them out. They picked up about every rock in the road and looked a lot like one of those ice cream drumsticks with the nuts all over the top.

One other issue we started to experience in the Vets was worn hub bearings. They would actually crack after a few weekends. More G's places more stress in other areas. Stay up on your PM inspections when going this route. The guys driving real hard in the C6Z are experiencing a low brake pedal coming out of the turns. The G's are high enough to allow the hubs to move and kick the pads back. This means the pedal goes about half way to the floor when braking for the next turn. They are now running an in line booster devise to hold the brake pressure and keep the pad in contact with the rotor during cornering. Have your buddy in the C6 keep an eye out for this. Stoptech has the details he would need, should the problem arise.

Keep us posted on the C14's and the tire choices. Is John building you a 19" wheel or are you going to run the same size all around and make up for it with tire sizing ?. Either way those Penskes leave you lots of options:thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
CC wheels

Cobra R - 10.5 x 18" front & 12 x 18" rear wheels. Better rubber selection for the track. John also has street wheels & a new set of drag wheels for the GT also.

Ed