Be there or be square! 50th Anniversary of the Cobra.

H

HHGT

The NHRA Museum is putting on a 50th Anniversary Major Event at the Los Angeles Fairgrounds this April 20th & 21st. They will have a "special Ford GT section" and are welcoming all GT owners. There will be many original Cobras from the early 60's showcased. Cocktails, poker run,track events, show and banquet. The host hotel is across the street from the event & there will be secure,fenced parking. The Cobra only turns 50 once......this is a once in a lifetime event. Specific Ford GT track & social functions. Lots for the ladies to do that isn't car related. A great time for all.....don't miss it!

Contact Lynn Rose for further information at 714-771-4499 or lynnrose@msn.com

The next 3 months are going to be very exciting! \

* so far

Still on my calendar. Looking forward to it.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Still on my calendar. Looking forward to it.
Looking forward to seeing you too Sam. Who else is in?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I am looking forward to seeing my GT buddies!

mrscape

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2011
san diego
I will be there on friday night to saturday.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Add one more to the group. It'll be time for a road trip!

mrscape

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2011
san diego
Do you know whats the name of hotel across the street ?
thanks mark

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Do you know whats the name of hotel across the street ?
thanks mark
. From Lynn Rose....proposed agenda to date.
"April 20th ( Friday ) we will do a local poker run mid day to avoid the lousy Calif traffic issues*. 12-2:30 is what I am thinking. Friday afternoon will be registration and a cocktail party at the NHRA Museum at the fairgrounds.
Sat the 21st we will have the track day.**I want to make sure that whoever wants to put their car on the track ( GT's and Cobras ) gets enough track time to do so. We all know that anyone who owns a mustang will want to get out there so scheduling will be critical. I will make you guys and the Cobra guys my priority for this.
Saturday night we will have a banquet and most likely an auction.
Sunday is the big Ford day. There will be at least 2000 vehicles there so we will do a variey of car shows . This day will be festive I am sure. We can group the GT's and the Cobras together in their own sections.
The host Hotel will be the Sheraton which is next door to the Museum. Seeing as there will be a few thousand Ford lovers coming for the Fabulous Fords Forever deal on Sunday the 22nd, I want to get our part, the GT's and the Cobras*registrated early enough to not have any issues with the banquet dinner, ie seating.**
Whats nice about this is that we can do the entire event right at the fairgrounds so the only driving these guys have to*do is the poker run ( if they want to ).
What are your thoughts?"
Lynn

**UPDATE: There will be 3 track days! Thursday, Friday and Saturday!!!!! Yeh Lynn!!!

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
. From Lynn Rose....proposed agenda to date.
"April 20th ( Friday ) we will do a local poker run mid day to avoid the lousy Calif traffic issues*. 12-2:30 is what I am thinking. Friday afternoon will be registration and a cocktail party at the NHRA Museum at the fairgrounds.
Sat the 21st we will have the track day.**I want to make sure that whoever wants to put their car on the track ( GT's and Cobras ) gets enough track time to do so. We all know that anyone who owns a mustang will want to get out there so scheduling will be critical. I will make you guys and the Cobra guys my priority for this.
Saturday night we will have a banquet and most likely an auction.
Sunday is the big Ford day. There will be at least 2000 vehicles there so we will do a variey of car shows . This day will be festive I am sure. We can group the GT's and the Cobras together in their own sections.
The host Hotel will be the Sheraton which is next door to the Museum. Seeing as there will be a few thousand Ford lovers coming for the Fabulous Fords Forever deal on Sunday the 22nd, I want to get our part, the GT's and the Cobras*registrated early enough to not have any issues with the banquet dinner, ie seating.**
Whats nice about this is that we can do the entire event right at the fairgrounds so the only driving these guys have to*do is the poker run ( if they want to ).
What are your thoughts?"
Lynn

**UPDATE: There will be 3 track days! Thursday, Friday and Saturday!!!!! Yeh Lynn!!!

What's the fee for the complete package?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Chris/Ralphie at the book signing on saturday, one of the guys running the saac group came up to me, explaining when and where they are shipping their cobra's . Sounds like alot of cars to be there........they do have room he said for Gt's and other Ford products...........sounds great......gtjoey1314

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Chris, Make sure you made your contribution to the California police liscense plate frame .....they have your name my friend......last time we got lucky, this time, I dont know.............gtjoey1314....

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Chris, Make sure you made your contribution to the California police liscense plate frame .....they have your name my friend......last time we got lucky, this time, I dont know.............gtjoey1314....
11-99 Foundation....check

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Lynn tells me that Parnelli Jones is the Grand Marshall at the event. It just keeps getting better and better.......7 GTs so far....wo else is coming....you need a registration packet///......PM or email me. You don't want to miss this....seriously!

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
From what I understand the list of activities is still being developed but will include:

Cobra’s 50th Anniversary Exhibit
A banquet honoring Carroll Shelby
Panel Discussion
Show N Shine
3 days of open track on the vintage Pomona Road Race course (1956-’63)
The annual Fabulous Fords Forever

Mid America Ford and Shelby Nationals are proud sponsors of the Open
Track portion of Ford-Cobra-Shelby Reunion. Mid America has been
successfully organizing Shelby-focused events since 1974 and track
events since 1977. The historic Pomona Road Race Course will be an
amazing step back in time. The track has remained the same since
operations from 1956 to ’63. Dan Gurney, Max Balchowsky, Carroll Shelby
are just some of the distinguished drivers who raced on the historic
course. Dave MacDonald won there in Cobra #97 in 1963. Proceeds benefit
the Parks Museum and the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

3 days of track!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Come on GT owners....join us!!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Do they still need me and Andy to instruct?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Lynn tells me it is still in the plan.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Cool

Lynn tells me it is still in the plan.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote: RALPHIE
"Track Only - $250
As a followup to Jeff's post, I just received a letter from the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum as follows:

"Dear Ford-Cobra-Shelby enthusiest:

"Many of you have requested a TRACK ONLY Option for the Ford-Cobra-Shelby Reunion so here it is: 3 das of Open Track at the Historic Pomona Road Race Course (1956-'63), organized by Mid America Ford Team Shelby, for just $250.00.

"If, at a later date, you decide you would like to enjoy some of our other events then we would be please to accommodate you.

"Looking forward to a great event.

"Sincerely,

"Tony Thacker
"Executive Director
"Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum
"1101 W. McKinley Ave., Bldg 3A
"Pomona, CA 91768
"E-mail: tthacker@nhra.com
"909.622.2133"

Wow - wish we didn't have ski races, as I watched 3 or 4 races at Pomona from 1959-1964. Wish I could be there. "

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
You guys ARE aware that the "Track" portion of this event is CANCELLED - right? It will now be a one day event, no track time. :frown Have seen it on a couple Cobra sites.
The good news is, the NHRA thing is on Saturday, and you'll be in So. Cal the same weekend as Fabulous Fords at Knott's, on Sunday, which is a GREAT car show.

I still think Monterey in August will be the biggest and best celebration of the Cobra's 50th Anniversary. FoMOCo is working on some exciting plans for the events at Laguna Seca.

See ya'll in Monterey.

Jeff

mrscape

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2011
san diego
Now its a show n shine car show. I will still be there on saturday.:beer2:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Now its a show n shine car show. I will still be there on saturday.:beer2:

Yeah, and no explanation of why the track portion was cancelled. Furthermore the cancellation occurred within a few days of them saying there was a reduced price version that just included track. I asked on the Shelby forum since that group was instrumental in it. Maybe they never got enough track participants to offset the track rental.