Battery Tender Cable

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I’m interested in attaching a battery tender charging cable from my 05 GT battery to perhaps the tow hook mount or in that area. This would alleviate the need to remove the frunk compartment to access the battery and run the cable under the car. There doesn’t look like an access route I can find there. Has anyone else here tackle this project?
HNS

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Remove some of the fasteners that are holding the front splitter in place and allow it to droop down favoring the driver's side - enough for you to reach in to grab the cable. There are two alternate locations commonly used. Perhaps the easiest is to position the charging cable to the black grill on the top side of the nose. Although visible, it doesn't stand out. The other position is to place the connector up by the top edge of the driver's side fender near the door seam. This is one of the most convenient locations - but just be careful of the windshield wiper mechanism.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I used a CTEK charger with the lighter adapter. Worked fine since the lighter socket isn't on a switched circuit.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Someone here had a package of a Battery Tender Jr charger and a custom cable that went from the battery to a spot on the front nose across from the tow hook where the mating connector mounted. Included some hardware to solid mount the stationary connector. It was slick and tolerant of forgetting to disconnect. My original BTJr had a similar cable but it wasn't long enough.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I also use Ctek and use the lighter. It works great and is easy to get to. I highly recommend!

Reactions: Shawn and PeteK

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I have my charger unit plugged in on the ceiling so hangs down to car/s. I ran the short connectors to the batt terminals close on that side.... zip tied it to nearest point on radiator exit and plug in after every drive....
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I have my charger unit plugged in on the ceiling so hangs down to car/s. I ran the short connectors to the batt terminals close on that side.... zip tied it to nearest point on radiator exit and plug in after every drive....

And you ain't gonna forget and drive off with that still connected! (y)

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I won't use Battery Tender
I also use Ctek and use the lighter. It works great and is easy to get to. I highly recommend!

I use an Odyssey smart charger, similar to the Ctek. I won't use a Battery Tender product after those I had killed a couple batteries.

Someone here had a package of a Battery Tender Jr charger and a custom cable that went from the battery to a spot on the front nose across from the tow hook where the mating connector mounted. Included some hardware to solid mount the stationary connector. It was slick and tolerant of forgetting to disconnect. My original BTJr had a similar cable but it wasn't long enough.

I think You are thinking of @soroush

I rigged mine like Hooked on GT did.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Thank you all for the info. This site never fails me!!

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
It was Cooltech (nota4re on this forum) that sold a kit. I made up my own wiring harness to the grille only to find out later that I could have bought the Cooltech kit for less than I spent on parts.

Reactions: Nafod

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It was Cooltech (nota4re on this forum) that sold a kit. I made up my own wiring harness to the grille only to find out later that I could have bought the Cooltech kit for less than I spent on parts.
That's what I thought, but he didn't mention it in his reply which made me question my already failing memory...

Anyway, I was on my phone earlier and now that I have a keyboard research is easy. Just buy this. It works

Reactions: roketman

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I put in the kit from Cooltech. It is really nice and perfectly sized/fitted. The previous owner of mine had it coming out of the radiator (not too bad) but I decided to move it.

Reactions: roketman

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
The CoolTech kit looks perfect. My only question is that since my car is a 05 and has the grill, will the only way to snake the cable thru as Not4re mentioned is thru the splitter? Looking at the CoolTech site the photo shows an 06 which did not have the grill. Once again, thanks gentlemen for the feedback here as usual….

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Our "ChargePort Kit" is still available on our website. The idea was two-fold. It solves the problem of the supplied cords being too short to get to the nose of the car and, 2) it was intended to have a one-handed plug-in making it easier to connect/disconnect (2006 cars without the front screen only.) Making the little brackets to hold the connector in low, low, volumes is a pain in the butt and I also suspect that many people opted not to use the bracket as it took some effort to mount. Long story short, this weekend I will update the product and the website. The kit will include a longer connector for the battery - allowing you to locate the plug-in in 1 of 3 locations. 1) The nose of the car by the tow hook eye; 2) The black grill in the bonnet recess, or; 3) Up near the driver's side bottom of the windshield. We will eliminate the hard-mount bracket/plug. We will include a cigarette lighter adapter - enabling a 4th and perhaps easiest way to connect the charger, and we will drop the price by 50%. I'll re-post during the weekend to give an update.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I won't use Battery Tender

I use an Odyssey smart charger, similar to the Ctek. I won't use a Battery Tender product after those I had killed a couple batteries.

I think You are thinking of @soroush

I rigged mine like Hooked on GT did.
It was Soroush who devised a trick charging connection. It involved magnetic connectors. You attach the “paddle” side of the connector to a battery tender. The mating side mounts into the grille and there is a spring loaded cap that covers the terminals when you’re driving. The wiring to the battery runs beside the rad through the narrow opening.
I installed these in both of my GT’s a couple of years ago and they have worked perfectly. I will post some photos when I get a minute.
In the meantime, you might want to check Soroush’s posts from a couple of years ago- I think he posted some photos at the time.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
It was Soroush who devised a trick charging connection. It involved magnetic connectors. You attach the “paddle” side of the connector to a battery tender. The mating side mounts into the grille and there is a spring loaded cap that covers the terminals when you’re driving. The wiring to the battery runs beside the rad through the narrow opening.
I installed these in both of my GT’s a couple of years ago and they have worked perfectly. I will post some photos when I get a minute.
In the meantime, you might want to check Soroush’s posts from a couple of years ago- I think he posted some photos at the time.

Attachments

• C4B4E0F4-C413-4625-AA00-EB8F764EB48F.jpeg
    C4B4E0F4-C413-4625-AA00-EB8F764EB48F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • F7170F93-1C6C-4F3F-A570-5C4A2193D55D.jpeg
    F7170F93-1C6C-4F3F-A570-5C4A2193D55D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • 7D7AB5F8-DCB8-47D9-8D00-4E84E5CC6DAC.jpeg
    7D7AB5F8-DCB8-47D9-8D00-4E84E5CC6DAC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 34D993A1-B3CE-472D-8D64-AB8A4F082788.jpeg
    34D993A1-B3CE-472D-8D64-AB8A4F082788.jpeg