Bad Rear Lateral Links

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
As I was finishing up some routine maintenance on my GT, I happened to notice that the rubber boots on both of my rear lateral links were badly torn.

Right Side:

Left Side:

A quick on-line search shows that they are running about $215 for one link. Before I order a pair, does anybody know if you can simply replace the grease boots? If by some miracle the boots can be replaced, does anybody have a part number?

As my GT has just over 12,000, I was a bit surprised that these boots failed. Does anybody have any thoughts on how to prevent the next pair from failing?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unfortunately, these are not a serviceable item. I think one or two people here (one in Europe??) were working on/made a replacement boot.

EDIT: Found one. Don't know if he's still offering them??

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28751-Polyurethane-Bushes?highlight=

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
If you find a solution - short of replacement - let us know. Mine are OK , but its just a matter of time.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Call the GT guys!

Unfortunately, these are not a serviceable item. I think one or two people here (one in Europe??) were working on/made a replacement boot.

EDIT: Found one. Don't know if he's still offering them??

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28751-Polyurethane-Bushes?highlight=

Ask David Jones in United Kingdom, his company is only dealing with GT's its companyname is "GT101", his phone number is for a text message ++44 7801336890 .

ask him for his e-mail address by text message. Bear in mind there are 5 hours time difference to New York, or 8 hours to California should you call him on his mobile phone. London 9 a.m. NewYork only 4.a.m. etc. etc., i think i had the same problem, the GT101-guys have found someone in England to make for the customers of the GT's these parts for less money as the indicated us-Dollars 215.- each side !!!!
sincerely yours
Felix

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We have a solution for the failed boots on the lower control arm outer joints which we see quite a lot.
The issue flagged up here though relates to the toe link outer joint boots. We've not seen any failure of these before.
Now it's been pointed out we'll measure up the boot and source some replacements.
Once we have a solution to offer I'll post it up

Dave
www.gt101.co.uk

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
yes, it's just a matter of time. Thanks.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Now it's been pointed out we'll measure up the boot and source some replacements.
Once we have a solution to offer I'll post it up
Awesome! I'll be standing by.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Well, it only took me a year to replace those bad rear lateral links. I had been putting it off in order to knock it out while performing the annual oil change. Here are a few pictures in case anybody was wondering what failed.

Here's one of the new rear lateral links. The part number is 4G7Z*5B551*A. There is one part for both the left and right sides. List price is ~$325 per link; net price is around $225.

The left side...

The right side...

Removal and installation is fairly straightforward. You will need to lift the car and remove the rear wheels. I removed the airbox for easier access to 18mm nut that secures the link to the frame. You will need an 8mm wrench or socket to keep the end of the link from moving while removing the 18mm nut.

You will need a 13mm and 15mm wrench (or socket) to remove the bolt that attaches the link to the suspension. Take note of the location of the two aluminum shims before you remove the link from the suspension. I removed the parking brake in order to toe-in the suspension. This will give you enough room to remove the old link and install the new link.

Before I installed the new links, I measured and compared the length of both old and new parts. The new links I received are were the same length as my old links. So, hopefully the alignment of my rear suspension shouldn't have changed with the installation of the new parts.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Nice write up/pics Waldo thanks for sharing info

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Nice write up/pics Waldo thanks for sharing info

Yes. Thanks.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Waldo,

I also live in Fort Worth. Did you get the new parts from a parts supplier in the US? I assume the L and R sides are the same part number. I looked at my linkages and they are worn. 45k miles. Hope to see you out and about in Cowtown.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for sharing this. Did the bushings fail too?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Custom made

I had my own custom ones made.
The TT power and track use is more than the original struts can handle.

IMG_3048.jpg

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
good info waldo, did you have any drivability issues before replacing the parts?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Waldo, is it a photo optical illusion or are your new shaft diameter smaller than the original?

One of 101, your design appears to be an improvement. Does it affect the ride or noise level of the stock configuration?

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
That translucent boot material looks to be the same that is used on the lower rear control arms.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We now have replacement boots for these too.
The GT Guys have some stock from us but we can also supply direct if necessary just drop me a line. $10 ea + shipping.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks Waldo. I am getting a "clunk" sound in the right rear of my higher mile yellow GT. This is the first place I will look.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Did you get the new parts from a parts supplier in the US? I assume the L and R sides are the same part number. I looked at my linkages and they are worn. 45k miles. Hope to see you out and about in Cowtown.
I ordered the parts from Tasca Ford in Rhode Island. The left and right sides are the same part number. If yours lasted 45k miles, yours did better than mine.

Thanks for sharing this. Did the bushings fail too?
No, the bushings remained intact and still had their full range of motion. The grease boots failed on both links.

good info waldo, did you have any drivability issues before replacing the parts?
I didn't notice any drivability issues that I would attribute to the lateral links. That being said, I think my tires are reaching the "hockey puck" stage of their life as traction seems to be more fleeting than usual.

Waldo, is it a photo optical illusion or are your new shaft diameter smaller than the original?
It's an optical illusion. The shaft diameter of the old and new links are both a hair over .5".

We now have replacement boots for these too.
The GT Guys have some stock from us but we can also supply direct if necessary just drop me a line. $10 ea + shipping.
D'oh! I didn't realize that your replacement boots were being manufactured. $20 per link for replacement boots sounds like a much better option than $225 for a replacement link.

How do the new boots attach to the end of the link? Would one need special tools to install your replacement boots?