Are racing gas dirtier than normal 91 octane pump gas?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I just found out ican get 100 octane fuel by VP Within 15 minutes from my house. The question is...., is 100 octane racing gas dirtier than 91 octane from, say Chevron or Shell? I got a tankful and changed the tune earlier, woohoo....!! If the VP 100 octane would clog the fuel filter prematurely, as compared to normal 91 pump gas, perhaps, I'd only fill the VP 100 once in awhile, otherwise, I'd use it more frequently. Thoughts?

Thx

GTED

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page535435.html#

It depends on the source. From a sealed can stored correctly probably better than pump gas at most stations. From a underground tank, it depends on the stations equipment and turnover rate as does regular pump gas. I have heard of problems where someone buy hi octane pump gas and a few miles later the cars barely runs, the fuel system being all plugged up from dirt, and or old oxidized fuel.

VP 100 has a higher % of ethanol 10 to 30 according the MSDS. That will lean out your mixture a little bit and your tune should account for that. Most "canned" tunes (non-dyno) are conservative so you have a margin of error. The OEM tune has a/f learning (adaptive fuel) turned on so if you cruise around in closed loop it will apply what is learned and use it during open loop. Most aftermarket tunes turn that off, but some don't. If you have adaptive fuel turned on in the tune it is best to drive around easy for a while to give it a chance to learn. Every time you flash a new tune or disconnect the battery the learning is reset. So it would be bad practice to flash a tune and then immediately run the mile oxygenated gas if the tune is setup for non-oxygenated gas.

If you want to get the maximum out of a particular fuel you should get a dyno tune with your fuel of choice. That is sometimes hard to do because different tracks carry different fuels. That's why I liked Sherwin Williams it is consistent through the either USA. :lol

Too bad they don't sell it in CA anymore.

Last edited:

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
I want to know where you can get VP 15 min from your house is ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It depends solely on where you live. :biggrin

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
On the other side of the tunnel, still.... It is in San Leandro, much more convenient than to Woodside.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
why would you think racegas is "dirtier"? lol

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Not particular reason at all, I was just wondering.

Another question.... So I paid $8.99/gallon at this station yesterday from their pump. After Clinton's reply above, I checked out the VP link that was attached, which shows $24/gallon to buy the VP100 from their sealed can!!?? Anyone has any idea as to why such a delta in price?

Ed

why would you think racegas is "dirtier"? lol

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Pretty sure the pumped fuel is 100 unleaded and the Race Gas in a can is leaded fuel. And no road use tax on the race fuel.

Another question.... So I paid $8.99/gallon at this station yesterday from their pump. After Clinton's reply above, I checked out the VP link that was attached, which shows $24/gallon to buy the VP100 from their sealed can!!?? Anyone has any idea as to why such a delta in price?

Ed

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
That's what I originally thought, but I double check the drop-down menu, and the heading clearly indicates "unleaded".

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That's what I originally thought, but I double check the drop-down menu, and the heading clearly indicates "unleaded".
Most VP products leaded or unleaded can be purchased in cans or drums.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

Ed

Must be full retail pricing.

I pay $10 for ms109, $13 for c16 and $24 a gallon for the moonshine (Import). I use and stock all 3