Anyone here familiar with CAD/CAM software and CNC machines?

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
A few weeks ago I was told there was a local machine shop going out of business and that they were selling off all of their equipment. I went by and had alook at what they were selling and ended up buying a Fadal 3 axis CNC mill. I've wanted to buy a CNC for quite some time now, more for a toy than anything. I now have the machine set up in our shop, have tools, software and vices. The problem is I have no idea how to use any of it.:lol

I'm not looking to start a machine shop but would like to use this to build some odds and ends pieces. If anyone familiar with this wouldn't mind spending a few minutes to guide me in the right direction as far as where to start or what classe I can send one of my guys to, it would be greatly appreciated.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Cool.... I sense some cool custom pieces coming from Heffner Performance in the near future!!!

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I sense a lot of money in broken tools and wasted aluminum first. Hopefully cool parts will come in the future.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I sense a lot of money in broken tools and wasted aluminum first. Hopefully cool parts will come in the future.

Ah Jason the realist pops up again :lol

DanM

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 31, 2006
Stillwater, MN
Jason,

call me at work. We have about 20 CNC machines and make contract parts along with our own products. You will need software and a good machinist.

Dan Mckeown

651 653 05999

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
And that ladies and gentlemen, is why the GT Forum rocks. :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check with Stillen.

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
Jason,
First thing you need to do is buy the wife some flowers or jewelry.
Because you will be home late for the next 3 months.:lol The first time you get a cnc machine it consumes you. They are so much fun, and then it turns into work. But it's still a little fun.

I have run and programmed the fadal for years and I would be happy to
give you some pointers. I can also guide you in the right direction for cam software. I am assuming you already have a modeling software?

Feel free to PM, e-mail, or call anytime!

Jake

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
I'm a CNC programmer/machinist. I use Gibbscam software the most. It would be helpful to know the year of the machine, size of the table, series of the control, type of control, hp, RS232 data I/O connection, do you have a shielded data cable?

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
And that ladies and gentlemen, is why the GT Forum rocks. :thumbsup

That is only one of a large number of reasons, Dave.

Thanks for your help guys. I can definitely see myself becoming a CNC addict. I've been playing with the software, drawing parts for a few weeks now. Fortunately I can take that home with me so technically I'm not working late, right?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Thanks for your help guys. I can definitely see myself becoming a CNC addict. I've been playing with the software, drawing parts for a few weeks now. Fortunately I can take that home with me so technically I'm not working late, right?

You are officially now developing a case of OCD - welcome to the club :rofl

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca

That's where it all starts. You start drawing at home. Then you stay an hour after to work on a program. Then you stay just a few more hours to test out your new program. Then the program works and you start to ask yourself what else you can do to make this part even more trick. At this point you can see the whole project finished in your head and it's so close so you just keep going. Then it's 7:30 am and your guys are showing up asking what time you got there. Seriously though, I doubt it is that much more addicting than some of the project you are used to working on, but it can get to you. Let me know if you need anything. Good luck with it all!