Anyone else getting nervous about part availability?

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
All these post are starting to make me nervous. The Z8 parts were to be made available for 50 years by BMW or some crazy number of years. What about the GT? Are we long term owners going to be running into issues? Kind of worrisome.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
nope - just need to make the pool of the original OEM's bigger to help us! :thumbsup

They are just now coming out of warranty..... Many MSO's are just going on warranty for three yr's! Ford said 15 - maybe it might be 10? Who knows. Need the OEM's to help us, before they go away!

but Torrie likes panic!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Personally, I'm planning a parts raid into Canada starting from Chicago.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Personally, I'm planning a parts raid into Canada starting from Chicago.

I'll be the driver! :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
All these post are starting to make me nervous. The Z8 parts were to be made available for 50 years by BMW or some crazy number of years. What about the GT? Are we long term owners going to be running into issues? Kind of worrisome.

I think by law Ford is required to supply parts for 10 years. Of course they is always the supply vs. demand curve, so Ford could meet the letter of the law by having only a limited number parts at priced so high few would be willing to pay. Of course all bets are off if Ford enters bankruptcy court. Unfortunately the supply of salvaged parts will probably increase over time to help the situation.

As for the owners that hope OEMs produce the parts for sale through alternate channels, I doubt that will happen. I am not privy to the OEM contracts, but I would expect that the parts production agreements would be an exclusive arrangement with Ford.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
but Torrie likes panic!

I do :willy:willy:willy:willy:willy:willy:willy:willy:willy?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Keep the parts panic up and pretty soon Ford will make more money on spare parts than on the cars and Torrie will own his 2nd GT!

Aug 25, 2006
It will be just fine

Certainly there are a lot of balls in the air at this time and then add to this Ford certainly did not prepare as well as we all would have liked however once the dust settles I suspect that the pipeline of parts will become a-typical of most exotic gals. At times a bit slow and certainly a bit pricey however this my friends is the nature of the beast with any extremely low production vehicle; I experience the same thing with all of them.

At the onset Ford had no idea what the supply needs for a given item would be; how could they as such it was a crap shoot at best and now slowly they are developing a bit of history.

Relax

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

There is probably a mathematical equation for the love of a car, over value, multiplied by the availability of parts which will give you the love-anxious quota.

However the multiplication would have to be considerably higher when you live in the UK. :biggrin

Aug 25, 2006

BTW when I purchased a Z8 I received a document from BMW with the 50 year parts availability guarantee so you are correct.

Takes care

Shadowman

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
I think parts will be available for a long time. There is no doubt that there is profit to be made there. I'm sure there will be shortages until enough requests come in for Ford to order a batch but there's no doubt FGT parts=$$$ for Ford !! :thumbsup :thumbsup

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
btw When I Purchased A Z8 I Received A Document From Bmw With The 50 Year Parts Availability Guarantee So You Are Correct.

Takes Care

Shadowman

Luv My Z8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Dont worry guys, just go to ....

WWW.GTJOEY @ THE BARN .COM
FOR ALL YOUR GT PART NEEDS.. PROTO TYPE PARTS TOO....:biggrin
GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I have been buying replacement parts all along, since date of purchase. FORD said they would make the parts for 10 years, but the things are going , it will be the first to fall victim to re-organization.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Luv My Z8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your Z8, too. One of my all time favorites. Almost went that route, but decided to swing for the fences and thankfully bought my GT.

Best Regards,
Waldo

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I love your Z8, too. One of my all time favorites. Almost went that route, but decided to swing for the fences and thankfully bought my GT.

Best Regards,
Waldo

You should have both!

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
You should have both!

:lol

Well maybe some day...

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Electronic devices may be the big pole in the tent in regard to this issue. When I was restoring my BOSS 429, I found that after 35 years most of the sheetmetal/mechanical parts were either readily available (for a price) or were being repoped. There are few electronic components in a BOSS 429, I can think of only two items - radio and rev limiter. There are hundreds of electronic components in a Ford GT. Electronic components have a very short commercial life before going obsolete - I believe these parts will be the most difficult to procure in future 10/20/30 years from now.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Electronic devices may be the big pole in the tent in regard to this issue. When I was restoring my BOSS 429, I found that after 35 years most of the sheetmetal/mechanical parts were either readily available (for a price) or were being repoped. There are few electronic components in a BOSS 429, I can think of only two items - radio and rev limiter. There are hundreds of electronic components in a Ford GT. Electronic components have a very short commercial life before going obsolete - I believe these parts will be the most difficult to procure in future 10/20/30 years from now.

BOSS 429 :bow

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
There are hundreds of electronic components in a Ford GT. Electronic components have a very short commercial life before going obsolete - I believe these parts will be the most difficult to procure in future 10/20/30 years from now.

+1