Anybody towing their GT with an open trailer?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I am being afforded another opportunity for a cross-country move. Instead of shipping the GT this time, I am contemplating buying a trailer and towing her myself. As nice as it would be, I can't justify spending the money for a brand new, lightweight, fully enclosed Trailex or Featherlite. For those who are towing their GTs on an open trailer, what do I need to know?

Best Regards,
Waldo

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There was one at Rally 6, staying at "Little America," but I don't know who it belonged to....

H

HHGT

Rent a U haul trailer and tow it yourself. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the 3M type clear carpet protection film and wrap the car with it while in tow to protect it from road debris.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Rent a U haul trailer and tow it yourself. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the 3M type clear carpet protection film and wrap the car with it while in tow to protect it from road debris.

+1, Sammy hit the nail on the head.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I was contemplating that option as well. It would be cheaper, and I wouldn't have to find a spot to store the trailer when I get to AZ.

Thanks for the heads up on the carpet protection film. I was hoping someone could recommend a film to protect the front of the car.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
No way I would put that on a open trailer. Dont go for the top of the line enclosed. Get an inexpensive one, or find a good used one. Then once you get there you can keep it, or sale it.

H

HHGT

BTW and you probably knew that already, dont ever tow with the cover on. It will scuff the paint.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would ask this, do you drive the car in the rain? If you do, sure, use an open trailer. If you put every effort to a crazy degree to avoid the rain, go enclosed. If you go shopping for an enclosed, you will find they hold their value pretty well, after the bought new hit. When looking, be sure there is E track, or enough D rings, to be able to tie down the car by having the strap go over the tire, vs through the wheel.

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
I have a Texas Rollback open trailer: http://www.rollbacktrailers.com/how_it_works.htm and have used it for short distance hauls and it has worked out well. A useful feature on this trailer is that the wheel-well covers on the trailer are removable so getting in and out is a "little" easier.

I also have a Renegade stacker trailer and that works well. Regardless of what trailer you go with (open or enclosed) I have found and would recommend (especially on an enclosed trailer)
that you install (if one is not already installed) a winch. This will make loading and unloading much easier.

Another source you may want to check for trailers is:http://www.racingjunk.com/?source=logo

Last edited:

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I own a Texas rollback trailer (20') and it works perfectly. I would recomend it as the perfect open trailer. With that being said, I am upgrading to a 42' gooseneck enclosed so I can haul both of my cars. Mine is a 2009 and has been pulled 1500 miles or less. If interested send me a pm and I will get you some pictures.
I will take $4000 for mine.
Mike

H

HHGT

One more thing re. Open trailers, take extra caution to make sure you are able to open the door without having the fenders obstruct entry. Reason being is that you will have to roll up the windows and if you are not able to open and close the door then that becomes prohibitive. In a closed trailer you can slide out of the window and leave it open, cant do that in an open trailer. Good luck.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
No way I would put that on a open trailer. Dont go for the top of the line enclosed. Get an inexpensive one, or find a good used one. Then once you get there you can keep it, or sale it.

The really bad thing about towing the GT on an open trailer is everyone can see it....if you stop overnight you better hire an armed guard to watch the car cause folks are curious and they will be around the car all night.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have an open trailer and have towed the GT many times long distances without any trouble. My reason for this style was simple, I needed to be able to park the trailer inside the garage at my last home and every enclosed trailer I looked at wouldn't fit under the low garage door heights. My only complaint is the car can get dusty if traveling a long distance so I just plan on cleaning it when I arrive. The car is a bit of a rockstar while underway but find that more entertaining than a problem. I have towed in the rain and the outside does get dirty but the hard to clean areas ie. suspension and engine compartment stay clean. I don't have a wench, did plan on installing one but found it not necessary, the car drives on and off very easy with a second person watching. The fenders do come off which is a must for the GT. The upside is I have also used it to trailer my lifted and over-sized tired Rubicon and even towed my tow vehicle, a lifted 4 door 4x4 truck behind the motor home, neither would have fit in the enclosed unites I was looking at. VERY IMPORTANT, when I had the trailer built I had a custom toolbox and air damn designed for the front and as a result haven't expierenced any towing road damage however I do blue tape the mirrors and rear fender wells. Wish I could say the same after 4 easy sessions on the track at Miller.:ack

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
One more thing re. Open trailers, take extra caution to make sure you are able to open the door without having the fenders obstruct entry. Reason being is that you will have to roll up the windows and if you are not able to open and close the door then that becomes prohibitive. In a closed trailer you can slide out of the window and leave it open, cant do that in an open trailer. Good luck.

At the FGT guys in Maryland event one owner placed 2x12" planks on the trailer drivers side to get enough height on the one side in order to get the door to fully open....

I don't have a wench, did plan on installing one but found it not necessary,
Sounds like a personal problem Steve.... A good wench is hard to find.....

BTW - Waldo, how did you fare with Irene. I saw that they moved all the equipment you fly to Tennessee from your base. Hope everything was OK at home and you didn't get flooded......

Last edited:
H

HHGT

BTW Waldo, are you going back to MCAS Yuma?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've towed my Mustang and Cobra on an open U-Haul trailer. You will need to wrap the front of the car to prevent any gravel/etc being thrown up from the tow vehicle wheels. I used blue painters tape on the Mustang and Cobra but it will not survive any rain. I used it on the Mustang and it didn't last the trip and the paint really took a beating. Fortunately it was in the clear coat and recoverable with a good detailing and didn't need to be repainted. On the Cobra it worked well. On the return with the Cobra I used the the wrap that Shelby American uses in their shop and is also used to protect cars when shipping. The issue with any wrap is that unless you can seal the whole car the transition from the wrap to the paint will get some dust and start to lift and flap. As dust/sand gets under this transition it also will leave some scuff marks. When you wrap go lots further back than you think. In the end, the Cobra also had to be detailed to work out the scuffs in the clear coat.

I will use an open trailer for short hauls or summer hauls but will not use it again for any distance or during rain or snow. Just too much stuff gets tossed up.

My recommendation would be to find an enclosed trailer on Craigs List and sell it when you're done. That said, the one-way shipping by a trustworthy transporter might be cheaper.

P.S. Why not drive it?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have an open trailer and have towed the GT many times long distances without any trouble. My reason for this style was simple, I needed to be able to park the trailer inside the garage at my last home and every enclosed trailer I looked at wouldn't fit under the low garage door heights. My only complaint is the car can get dusty if traveling a long distance so I just plan on cleaning it when I arrive. The car is a bit of a rockstar while underway but find that more entertaining than a problem. I have towed in the rain and the outside does get dirty but the hard to clean areas ie. suspension and engine compartment stay clean. I don't have a wench, did plan on installing one but found it not necessary, the car drives on and off very easy with a second person watching. The fenders do come off which is a must for the GT. The upside is I have also used it to trailer my lifted and over-sized tired Rubicon and even towed my tow vehicle, a lifted 4 door 4x4 truck behind the motor home, neither would have fit in the enclosed unites I was looking at. VERY IMPORTANT, when I had the trailer built I had a custom toolbox and air damn designed for the front and as a result haven't expierenced any towing road damage however I do blue tape the mirrors and rear fender wells. Wish I could say the same after 4 easy sessions on the track at Miller.:ack

Steve -

Could you post some pictures of the trailer, both with and without the GT on it?

Thanks

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Sounds like a personal problem Steve.... A good wench is hard to find.....

Maybe next year DBK will hold a car rally/spelling B, a day of hard driving could be followed up by a night of reading the dictionary and monkey spanking?:lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Don't know if I have any with the car loaded but I'll take a look.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gents,

Thanks very much for all of the replies and advice.

I would ask this, do you drive the car in the rain?
I live in North Carolina. My GT has seen its share of afternoon showers. Not to mention the drive to Rally V in Virginia. Truth be told, you could probably find a small rock chip or two on the car as well.

Another source you may want to check for trailers is:http://www.racingjunk.com/?source=logo
That's a great website. Thank you very much for the link.

You will need to wrap the front of the car to prevent any gravel/etc being thrown up from the tow vehicle wheels.
I will definitely cocoon the GT in plastic wrap if I decide to tow it via open trailer.

P.S. Why not drive it?
As fun as a cross-country drive in the GT sounds, I have to get three cars, a truck, and a motorcycle to AZ. If images of the Beverly Hillbillies come to mind...

BTW - Waldo, how did you fare with Irene.
Despite living only about 35 miles to the west of where Irene made landfall, there was no significant damage or flooding at Casa de Waldo. A few large trees went down in the neighborhood, but I only had to contend with numerous branches, leaves, and pinecones strewn about the yard. Remarkably, our power was only out for about 24 hours.

BTW Waldo, are you going back to MCAS Yuma?
Yes, I am heading back to the Promised Land!:usa

Best Regards,
Waldo