Any suggestions on an enclosed trailer?

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Looking to buy an enclosed trailer for my GT. Anyone have one that they are impressed with. Worried about the load angle and also a side door to get in and out of car. Thinking about a 24' trailer.

Thanks for you input

Mike Anderson

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Sorry! I should have done a search before I asked the question. Wasn't thinking.

Mike

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sorry! I should have done a search before I asked the question. Wasn't thinking.

Mike

It is a good question and opinions are always changing. Glad you brought it up again for us new guys.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike

I just recently bought a 25' enclosed trailer for the GT, however I needed it to do double duty as an ATV/Sled hauler. The deck height is a little high as it is a "combo" trailer and I had to raise the deck a couple of inches to reduce the inside height of the trailers wheel wells to allow the GTs door to open. I installed a 54" escape door over the wheel wells to fully open the door of the car to allow me to drive it in. As well, I added a winch plate in the front to allow for winching should I choose to go that route which is important if you plan to load solo IMO.

The interior height of the trailer was raised 1' which in turn allowed me to make the ramp 1' longer, reducing the ramp angle for the GT.

E-track was also installed center line of the GTs tires for the entire length of the trailer (excluding v-nose), additional interior lighting and 2-110V outlets

The ramp is slightly to steep to load the GT as it sits, however I got around that by raising the rear wheels of the truck which in turn lowers the rear deck height decreasing the angle.

Sorry for the ramble, hope it helps. Any questions shoot me a message. I can send some pics or blueprints if you like as well.

Steve

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have a 24' fits the GT with some light spares up front. I do not have a lowered car, have no issues with approach, or "high side" at the door hinge. I dont have a side door, but when winching in, not a huge factor for me.

Here is a GREAT source for tie downs, From what they told me, they are the actual manufacturer of many parts, especially this idler, which is key to the over the tire method. They supply them to everyone that resells them. Last summer getting ready for rally 5, they had them, no one else did....

http://www.truckntow.com/pc-9866-147167-rolling-idler-e-fitting-assembly.aspx

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Steve, thanks for the input. If you have a picture of your trailer I would love to see it. Either send it to me in a PM or I think others would enjoy the information also if you don't mind posting it.

Mike

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I bought a ''Classic Trailer Dominator'' model. 22 ft. --Aluminum with steel frame in 2006. I Have trailered to all four GT Events. (Newport, Vegas, Austin, Virginia) . They are made in Sturgis Michigan. The University of Pittsburgh uses it every spring for FormulaSAE Events..
Ordered with a winch, 2 doors (just winch the GT in and out and you do not need a door or a way to exit the car in the trailer). It will be coming to Salt Lake City in August. :):)
ajb (andy)

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
As requested here are a few photos of the trailer.IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0505.jpgIMG_0496.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
As requested here are a few photos of the trailer.

Who is the Manufacturer of this trailer? Did they put in the side door or did you?

You specified the floor height be raised at the time of the build?

Thank you.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I went through Becker Custom Trailers the guy I dealt with was Brett. They installed everything for me including the door. I did ask them to lower the fender wells which meant the floor had to be raised. I think the height of the wells inside is 7 inches allowing 4 inches clearance from my door.
It's not the absolute best trailer for car hauling but like I mentioned before I needed it to do double duty.
I am happy with it and they were great to deal with.
Steve
Ps. I also went with a steel frame. I have had a problem in the past with aluminum and 2 atv's ended up upside down on the road. I know lots of people love the aluminum just didn't work for me.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Steve,
Thank you for the pictures. I like your trailer. Do you have a number for Becker trailers? I noticed two little doors it looks like on the side of the trailer inside. Is that what those are and what are they for. Also, it looks like you have loading lights on the rear. I like that option for loading in the dark.

Thanks for taking the time to help, I appreciate it.

Mike

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Here is the link to the website. http://www.beckercustomtrailers.com/

The number is 877-786-0998. I have no affiliation what so ever with the company.

The little doors on the side are for fueling ATVs and sleds without hauling jerry cans or unloading.

I debated the loading lights, however they have a cool option you can see on the main page, I didnt get them and in hind sight its something I should have done. I did however have a 110V outlet installed at the rear and could put a light back there for that purpose.

Glad to help out, I have gotten lots of help here and am glad to pass along anything I can.

Steve

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
http://www.candcmfgco.com

I have one of these. You can open the side doors to get out of the car. I don't care to much for climbing out the window.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
http://www.candcmfgco.com

I have one of these. You can open the side doors to get out of the car. I don't care to much for climbing out the window.
Wow now that's a nice trailer!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow now that's a nice trailer!

+1

:eek

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
This one works and you have extra room for your buddy's cars - or whatever.:biggrin

load.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Darn, I want a bigger trailer...... That Pace you have is fantastic, toter is nice too.....

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It was the gold mine for what I needed!

Great link - Thanks :thumbsup