Any Jaguar XK8 Experts?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm thinking about picking up a Jaguar XK8 for the Mrs. I've stumbled across a reasonably priced '98 XK8, but the dealer doesn't have the maintenance history.

I realize that most used cars are a crapshoot, but would the odds be stacked against me with late 90's Jaguar? Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Waldo

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Waldo, I just sold my 98 XK8 coupe at the beginning of June. The 97-01 model years had trouble with the nickasil cylinder lining and the cam chain tensioners. High sulfur gas corodes the nickasil and the tensioners were made of plastic. If the nickasil is bad, there is a severe loss of compression. If the tensioners have not been changed to the newer, metal ones, the cam chain will jump a tooth or two and ruin the engine. The water pumps have a plastic impeler that breaks over time with age. All of these things can be fixed, but at expensive Jaguar costs (special tools required). The convertible tops are quite well known for bursting their hydraulic lines and creating quite a big mess. The self-dimming rear view mirror is known to leak and ruin the wood on the console.

Enough said.

I had my car for 11 years with 42 K on the clock and did not have any major problems, but I also did not have a convertible or have the tensioners replaced. I suggest you check the jag-lovers website. Any other questions, let me know. The 02 model year fixed many of these problems.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had two XKR convertibles - one after another. They were for my daily (manic) drive in and out of London every day.

I clocked up large abusive mileage on both and never once had a problem - a great car in my experience.

The XKR does have that little extra 'woof' under the hood, but is essentially the same car as the XK8.

Finding one with a full dealer service history would be vital.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Have had a number of Jags (now have an XJR) including an XK8 all the way back to E-Types.

My advice - buy one with the extended factory 7 year warranty or under original warranty and not worry about it. I have had few problems with the later models, and nothing out of the ordinary.

My buying philosphy was year didn't matter so much (unless it was a body style difference) - looked for low mileage and under warranty. Always bought them a couple of years old and with 7 to 16K miles.

Like Neilda said, if you can, get the "R". The regular one is nice, but R runs more like you would expect and has most of the optional features.

You should be able to find one where you can have Jaguar pull the history so you know about it.

And definitely Carfax.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gents,

Thanks for the advice.

I get the feeling a used Jag with an unknown history is like a box of chocolates...

Best Regards,
Waldo