Any FGT Forum members in the Vero Beach area?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Might need some help........

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
and is there anyone close that could do a PPI? (Shelby is too busy right now....)

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Sorry we couldn't help, but with rally around the corner, we don't have time to fly to Florida. May try Rich Brooks, the GT Guy....

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Shelby....I was still hoping to hear about the car you suggested.....

I did contact Rich, and he is available...so I'm considering that. However, he's a ways away and obviously I'd have to pay travel expenses. Since this is a 1400 mile car I'm wondering if a simpler (read: cheaper) PPI might be adequate......

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The car I mentioned will be in tomorrow so I can give you detailed review on it. As for the 1400 mile car in Florida you are looking at, the insurance of sending Rich to inspect it is worth not getting a pieced together or story car....

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Even if the FL car had 50 miles , I wouldnt buy from unknown person without proper PPI. Well worth it.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
OK guys, I got it. Think the local Ford dealership would be able to do it?

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You can give it a shot - and if they are somewhat worried, get Rich or Denis to fly down. Depends on how much you trust the dealer's tech....:confused

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You can give it a shot - and if they are somewhat worried, get Rich or Denis to fly down. Depends on how much you trust the dealer's tech...be there looking over his shoulder when he does it, question everything.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Even if the FL car had 50 miles , I wouldnt buy from unknown person without proper PPI. Well worth it.

:agree:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
OK guys, I got it. Think the local Ford dealership be able to do it?

Probably unlikely they have seen or worked on many GTs. Maybe have local dealer do prelim check.
If they find any issues skip it. If looks good to them, then I would pay Rich or other forum expert to see it.
One issue will cost WAY more than flying them in.

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
i am in Atlanta, GA and could fly down to do the inspection for you

www.genuineshelby.com

SGB

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What about Hefner?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Heffner doesn't travel....

SGB....I'll consider and contact you....thanks

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Wizard -

Each of the GT Guys, Shelby, Shadowman, and us (Cool Tech) have worked on more than 100 GT's. *IF* you determine that a PPI is needed I would highly recommend that you leverage someone who has done a LOT of work on GT's and who knows the car well enough to know what's normal and what's not. Example: On our last PPI, we noticed that a front left wheel well was put in with non-OEM fasteners. They were nice fasteners and all consistent but we've worked on enough wheel wells to know that the fastners were non-OEM. Also, we noticed the wheel weights on the front rim were non-factory - whereas both front tires were original and one had original tire weights. I really think that only very Ford GT-experienced personnel would have picked up on the very subtle variations. Another question that you should ask for prospective PPI candidates is their use of a paint thickness gauge. An invaluable tool for a thorough inspection, IMO. Note: The buyer chose not to purchase the car after our inspection - as we did find additional abnormalities. We're in SoCal. If we can help - let us know.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Kendall,

I hear ya. I called one of the local guys I mentioned here or elsewhere and could tell he was only a cosmetics guy. He did the paint thickness stuff, but he really didn't know THIS car or any of its anomalies. In the meantime I'm stalling to hear about a new car Shelby has. Shelby?

BTW, this is Ross.....an old NSX friend.....the guy behind you on our drive to Laguna Seca? I've been trying to reach you, but I guess no emergencies until I get this transaction done. If I find a west coast car I promise you'll get the job, and probably lots of fun stuff afterward. That exhaust system looks really nice!

Appreciate all the advice.....believe me I listen and learn......

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Ross. Yeah, we should connect and shoot the crap about old times - and get you up to speed on the Ford GT!!

Regarding the PPI - not our favorite job and I'm sure I speak for my colleagues as well when I say that. Hard to have the right value equation for buyer and inspector because of the time invested, travel cost, etc. ALWAYS easier when the car is local! Be patient, you'll find a good one!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Our 06 just came in late tonight. I will go over it tomorrow and let you know the results. And I agree with Kendall on all points.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Shelby...yes, good....

Kendall.....my young son that was with me still says that ride up the coast was the greatest day of his life so far. He loved what I showed him on the track, but it was the drive up that he says changed his life. We should've been arrested, and me in particular for contributing to the delinquency of a minor! He now has a 69 Charger (440, manual, numbers), and a 70 Challenger (manual, 6 pack, numbers), and a 308 Ferrari.....guess he really caught the bug that day!!!

Yeah, we'll catch up.....but I better bring my checkbook just in case......

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
What about Stormcat or Torrie? If I'm not mistaken they are both on the east coast of FL.