Any Carrera GT owners out there?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have never been a Porsche fan, but folks seem fond of the Carrera GT. My fear is having an 8 year old expensive to fix car.

Anyone out there who can weigh in on car and how it compares to Ford GT?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I still think it's one of the best looking cars of the era. It's not hyper-flashy but it looks like it was machined out of a solid block of aluminum. Outside of an LFA, not much sounds better. Prices on them have steadily risen off the lows of a couple years ago, so it looks like a fairly safe car from an "investment" standpoint.

Of course, you could just spring for a 918 Spyder and throw down the $850k on that one if you're out for a Porsche.

Reactions: Ed Sims

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I know of a owner that had both a FGT and Carrera GT, he still has the Carrera GT but has sold the FGT.

Very nice driving car with a great soundtrack!

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
one of my favorite cars of all time,,, I think a true classic..

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
great car, like the FGT, if you're not careful, it will bite you in the ass. very expensive to maintain/service. Appreciating off the low

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Great car if your a great driver, maybe one of the best in decades. Difficult to drive fast and smoothly. Can definitely bite hard, but very rewarding with lots and lots of practice. Did I say lots and lots of practice.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
great car, like the FGT, if you're not careful, it will bite you in the ass. very expensive to maintain/service. Appreciating off the low

Carrera GTs are not THAT expensive to maintain considering their cost. Yearly service is less than $1k with a recommended 5 year service that is about $3k - $4k BUT that includes replacing the tires which Porsche recommends every 5 years. Biggest expense is the clutch which is $15k - $20k to replace, but shouldnt have to be done if the car is driven correctly.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Carrera GTs are not THAT expensive to maintain considering their cost. Yearly service is less than $1k with a recommended 5 year service that is about $3k - $4k BUT that includes replacing the tires which Porsche recommends every 5 years. Biggest expense is the clutch which is $15k - $20k to replace, but shouldnt have to be done if the car is driven correctly.

Just saw the one you listed on Faceybookey. Wow, impressive first look. I'm sure it will go quick.

Vince H

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Just saw the one you listed on Faceybookey. Wow, impressive first look. I'm sure it will go quick.

Vince H

http://eliteautosllc.com/vehicle/porsche-carrera-gt/

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I can count on half of one hand the cars I would own over that car right there! Perfect color!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I think the Carrera GT looks better than the 918, which to me looks like a dead ringer for a Ferrari 360...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Personally, I love the Carrera GT.
If I could fit in one, probably would have gotten that instead of the 458 (also a great car; more spacious for me, but standard Ferrari depreciation).

The CGT seems the perfect accompaniment to the FGT, and appears to be holding its value similarly.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Personally, I love the Carrera GT.
If I could fit in one, probably would have gotten that instead of the 458 (also a great car; more spacious for me, but standard Ferrari depreciation).

The CGT seems the perfect accompaniment to the FGT, and appears to be holding its value similarly.

You can fit if you leave the top off.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Am I the only one that doesn't fully appreciate the look of these? I'd still LOVE to have one, don't get me wrong.......

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You can fit if you leave the top off.

Wish it were so. Not enough leg/knee room. I sat in one about a year ago. Almost needed "the jaws of life" to get out.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Wish it were so. Not enough leg/knee room. I sat in one about a year ago. Almost needed "the jaws of life" to get out.

I drove one and didn't have any problem with the leg and knee room, but I am much shorter than you are. I don't know about the headroom though since I drove it top off. The clutch is pretty tough for me to get used to and I didn't want to fry 25K, killed the car off the line too many times. Once rolling very easy to drive.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I sold Ray Hofman one and he never complained about not fitting.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Am I the only one that doesn't fully appreciate the look of these? I'd still LOVE to have one, don't get me wrong.......

No, I think it is very awkward looking. It is really neat though and it does sound amazing.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I sold Ray Hofman one and he never complained about not fitting.

I know. I actually talked to him about how he fit in his car some time ago, before I had the chance to sit in one. Dont know if the one I sat in had smaller seats, or I just have longer legs and eat a lot more carbs than Ray.

Last edited: