Another subtle model year difference

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
By now, I'm sure many forum members know the front radiator grille was omitted on 2006 cars.

I recently noticed that the the brackets that secure the oil resevoir to the frame are BLACK on 2006 cars and GRAY on 2005.

Has anyone noticed any other subtle model year differences?

Eric

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm not sure, but I think the 2006 models are a year newer :rofl

Interesting on the brackets, never knew. Guess we can investigate all that at the rally.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I just learned the 2005 and 2006 facia's are different. If you remove the grill on a 2005 there is not enough built in support that the facia doesn't distort....
Got this info from THE GT GUYS....

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Can the grill from the '05's be fitted to the '06 cars? I'd hate to have the radiators get damaged by rocks and road debris.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
According to the Architect:
"if you are going to track the car often - you may want to consider installing an 06 front grill - which has a lower pressure drop across it than the 05 grill."
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Neat foot note that we picked up at the plant. 05 rubber stop? when you close the clam shell are a adjustable height bolt with a rubber pad on top. 06 deleted the whole bolt if you look at the 06 its just a coil tin spring with a RUBBER CAP , THE NEW PART WAS OFF OF THE T-BIRD. ON THE PROTO TYPE THE SPRING WAS COVERED WITH A RUBBER BOOT SO THE SPRING WOULDNT RUST, BUT SOMEONE HAD TO SAVE 15 CENTS .IF YOU WANT THE RUBBER BOOT JUST GO TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER AND ORDER THE T-BIRD PART IT COMES WITH THE BOOT AND YOU CAN SAY YOU HAVE A PROTO TYPE CAR !!!! BABY! THE ORIGINAL BOLT ON THE 05 I THINK COST 48 CENTS MORE :eek
MORE TO COME AFTER THE PLANT CLOSING. :biggrin
ENJOY GTJOEY 1314

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cyclenirvana said:
According to the Architect:
"if you are going to track the car often - you may want to consider installing an 06 front grill - which has a lower pressure drop across it than the 05 grill."
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217

This mod was suggested by the GT GUYS plus working on opening up the intercooler....