Air bag light on/off switch question

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Pardon my lack of knowledge in advance.

When I turn my passenger air bag off on my Tungsten the light does not come on.

My questions are:

1. Is the light separate from the switch? Can I have a bad bulb?

2. Is the entire light and switch connected somehow where this is signaling me the air bag is not turned off?

3. Is there any other way to tell if the passenger air bag is on or off?

Last edited:

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
MK2, the small light next to you pad(pasanger air bag deactivation) switch should light when the switch is in the off position and the ignition is in the on position. The light should be out when the pad switch is in the on position. Check to see if the small light next to the switch will prove out. To check it turn the pad switch to the on postion, turn the key in the igntion to the on position. The small light in the pad switch should light for a few seconds then go out. The air bag module is self testing it. If it does not light then there is a problem. It is not that uncomon for the pad switch bulbs to go out.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
MK2, the small light next to you pad(pasanger air bag deactivation) switch should light when the switch is in the off position and the ignition is in the on position. The light should be out when the pad switch is in the on position. Check to see if the small light next to the switch will prove out. To check it turn the pad switch to the on postion, turn the key in the igntion to the on position. The small light in the pad switch should light for a few seconds then go out. The air bag module is self testing it. If it does not light then there is a problem. It is not that uncomon for the pad switch bulbs to go out.

The bulb is not the culprit (determined after I observed the light during start up.)

So is it an airbag malfunction ? Is the bag not turning off if the light is not coming on when the airbag is set to the off position?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
MK, try it with someone sitting sitting in the seat. I don't think the light comes on unless there is some weight in the seat.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Is the air bag light in your gauge cluster flashing?

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
MK, try it with someone sitting sitting in the seat. I don't think the light comes on unless there is some weight in the seat.

I know that is standard in the Mustang but also in the Ford GT? My GTX1 light is always on if the bag is turned off regardless of who is in the seat or not .

I'll try it.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Airbag light

With these cars it doesn't matter if someone is in the passenger seat or not. The seats are not equipped with the weight sensors. It is possible that the light is actually on but pushed back in the hole that it is supposed to be in.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
With these cars it doesn't matter if someone is in the passenger seat or not. The seats are not equipped with the weight sensors. It is possible that the light is actually on but pushed back in the hole that it is supposed to be in.

But I see it flash just fine when I start the car (in the post a few above) . Would it not be the same light?

The light works when I start the car(blinks like its supposed to) .
The light does not turn on when I setthe air bag in the off position.

any ideas?

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
In the off position the light should be on solid. If it is not staying on there is a problem. I am surprised that the air bag light on the gauge cluster is not flashing. The air bag module selftests the p.a.d. on every start up and moniters it while driving. If the switch was open internaly the module would see it. You need to get to a dealer to have it checked. If the light is not staying on then you can not be sure that the air bag is off. I wouldn't risk it especialy if you have kids in the front seat. normaly when the p.a.ds go bad the light next to the switch will not prove out on start up like yours is doing. The GT does not have a pasanger weight sensor in the seat.

M

Mark O

I'd like to turn off both airbags.

d56f_1.JPG

Carry on............ :wink