Aftermarket wire harness for installation of radio?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If one wanted to replace the McIntosh head unit with another one, does there exist an installation harness that will plug into the factory connector and allow hook up without modification of the factory wiring? IE a pigtail harness? They exist for most other Fords but the connector for the McIntosh unit appears different than standard Ford fare.

I would consider replacing the Mac head unit and keeping the original one for reinstall to a later owner but not if it means hacking into the wiring harness.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I couldn't find one.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I will not be the first car where I had to source the connector and build my own. I'll post back if I get anywhere with this project. I will not change the head unit unless I can plug it in to the harness. Will not hack the wiring. Been there and done that on some previous cars and learned the long term lessons.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
No. There is not

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might want to look for the thread on the double-din panel to replace the whole thing. Get it in carbon fiber if you want. There are some trick units out there (GPS, satellite, etc). I have my iPod plugged in when I'm driving long distances, and I've just set up groups of songs to play. It will play much longer with less hassle than any CD you make. The cord I have is long enough to set the iPod down anywhere, usually my lap or the front seat pocket.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You might want to look for the thread on the double-din panel to replace the whole thing. Get it in carbon fiber if you want. There are some trick units out there (GPS, satellite, etc). I have my iPod plugged in when I'm driving long distances, and I've just set up groups of songs to play. It will play much longer with less hassle than any CD you make. The cord I have is long enough to set the iPod down anywhere, usually my lap or the front seat pocket.

The 2DIN still requires you to hack into the OEM wiring if you cannot find a connector which he wants to avoid. So barring finding a connector, using the AUX input of the MAC would be his best option.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I am fine with the single DIN mount. Plenty of very nice head units out there with more features than I will ever use in that size. I do not need nav or a touch screen. I want simple to use, easy to see. Heck, I would likely have been just fine with the McIntosh head unit if it just played mp3 CDs. A single audio cd just does not cut it. I hate swapping cd's sitting at a light or worse while driving and one cd does not play long enough. A single MP3 CD can run more than 12 hours. Plenty.

If I can determine the connector type, I can build my own harness. Done this before and these connectors are not all that unique. They are used by many manufactures, it a matter of finding the OE manufacture and where else its used. Likely the same type as other fords, just not the standard one used for audio. Between the service manual pinouts and connector views and a look at the actual connector, I'll research. If I get anywhere, perhaps others could use it as well.

As I said, will not modify the factory harness. The connector exists, it was purchased from somewhere, Ford does not make thier own. Most are Amphenol or weatherpac and many are the same as GM, Toyota and others use. I have some friends in the industry, I just need to collect some info. Hopefully not all that oddball a connector, just a new application.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd be very interested in this too. For all it is supposed to be, I'm not all that impressed with the Macintosh radio. It does sound great, but it's pretty limited functionality. Heck, it doesn't even have a station search (that I can find) - I have to manually tune up and down the band.

Has anyone checked with Best Buy to see if they have the recipe for one?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'd be very interested in this too. For all it is supposed to be, I'm not all that impressed with the Macintosh radio. It does sound great, but it's pretty limited functionality. Heck, it doesn't even have a station search (that I can find) - I have to manually tune up and down the band.

Has anyone checked with Best Buy to see if they have the recipe for one?

It has a Seek function, but not a Scan - just hold the right tuning knob until it starts seeking - will stop at the next station. I would have preferrred a Scan instead of only Seek.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I went to Best Buy yesterday looking for a new radio for my truck - we are going to Vegas at the end of the month and want to be able to connect the iPods with something better than the FM rebroadcaster, and I've wanted a HD radio for a while [I had one in my Mustang and really liked it]. So I found Alpine and Kenwood models that fit the bill. While looking for the install kit I asked if they had one for the Ford GT. The only thing needed was the cable adapter which they did not have in stock. They also didn't have the one for the truck so I'll go back later this week. I want to try it out in the truck before buying it but if it's good I might switch the GT radio out [keep it in a box though].

He wrote down the part number. I will try to remember to post a cross reference tonight.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The McIntosh radio has an aux input that you can connect you ipod to. It actually sounds pretty good. Never did find an aftermarket harness or even the correct connectors for a DIY to install a replacment radio. Ended up connecting a tiny Samsung mp3 player to the Mac head unit using the factory connection and have been very pleased with it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The McIntosh radio has an aux input that you can connect you ipod to. It actually sounds pretty good. Never did find an aftermarket harness or even the correct connectors for a DIY to install a replacment radio. Ended up connecting a tiny Samsung mp3 player to the Mac head unit using the factory connection and have been very pleased with it.

I know about those aux inputs, but it does not charge the ipod nor allow control of it from the radio deck. First the truck then to the GT. Have to "like the new radio" before tearing in to the GT. I do really like the HD radio though.