Aftermarket exhaust for the new Ford GT

Eduardo Menasce

GT Owner
Dec 27, 2018
Rye, NY
Good morning/afternoon Gentleman,

My new Ford GT should be delivered at the end of the summer/early fall.
Obviously, I fell in love with this car the moment I heard about it.
This will be one of my six Fords - I have been with Ford for almost 50 - 55 years when I purchased my first Ford in Brazil.
I still remember how important to me, was to have the car with the blue oval badge, when Ford won the 1966 LeMans race.
You all know the story of course.
I own other brands, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati, Lola, Mercedes.
Well, nobody is perfect, right?
Right now, I have a Superformance Ford GT -40 Mark 2, a 2005 Ford GT, a 2011 Shelby GT 350 R Mustang - 600 plus HP - a Superformance
Cobra Daytona Coupe. and a 2019 Shelby GT 350 R Mustang( BTW this last car has one of the best sounds ever, thanks to the flat plane engine)
As I said above, I know that this coming Ford Gt will be a one of a kind car, and the waiting time is part of the pleasure to own this car -
as long that it does not exceed the end of the summer.
If there is one thing that the new Ford GT falls short of my expectations is the sound of the engine/exhaust.
Obviously it is a question of personal taste, but I was wondering if any of you had the opportunity to change the exhaust system,
and which one , if any, would you recommend?
My goal is to have a sound that is different - difficult to describe - not just add volume.
Your suggestions and comments are appreciated,
I live in New York, and passing inspection is important.
If the new exhaust will make it difficult to pass the inspection in NY, I could have the car registered in Montana,
which is the case for some of my cars.

Eduardo Menasce

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
You live in Rye?
Have never seen you.
RPM lives near here.
Contact Heffner for your question.
My Best,
Mark

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
I put the Heffner Performance exhaust on. They make the titanium exhaust for the Ford GT MK II track cars. It sounds incredible and you drop about 30 lbs.

NSXER

GT Owner
Aug 13, 2016
Kansas
Image 5601.jpg
Heffner is awesome. I had them extend the pipes a bit.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Heffner on our car too. Not sure if anything else has actually made it to market. Borla has made prototypes for 2 cars (that I know of), not sure if it ever made it to production.

If you did not know, the Heffner is the pipe that is on the MkII

Ghost

Jun 15, 2018
I don’t have much to offer on the topic but I do live local and hope to run into you and see your new GT one day

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I really like the way the Heffner system sounds outside of the car. For those of you that have it, how would you describe the change in sound from inside the car? Louder, more aggressive? Any annoying drone or other sounds?

Also curious to know if everyone is wrapping them or insulating them to protect other components, such as the hydraulic system, from heat.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Heffner is pretty much your only choice. You can get it wrapped or bare. The last time we were all together in Atlanta for the Petit Lemans, JW was kind enough to crank his up for us. It has a great sound but the sound does not intrude into the car . I think the cost is around $6K. Borla does not have a product for sale.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It's louder in the cabin, and on our car, at certain frequencies does expose some vibrations in the car (may just be ours, who knows). If you want zero drone, and the same interior noise level as OEM, dont buy the heffner. The Heffner is perfect for me, highly recommended.

As for wrapping, I did it with some DEI heat shield, but only where you cant see. I like seeing the "blue" TI through the lower grills. Filed under overkill, I also added some hose wrap shield to the hydro lines for the wing.

Reactions: GTMD

1997spider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 11, 2018
Washington D.C.
I have the factory Ti exhaust and really love it. I feel that it is the perfect balance of what I wanted. I waited to spend some time in the GT with the factory setup and decided to keep it stock. I also like the exhaust tips and they way they look overall. It is 100% personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Any warranty implications?

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
I hear no drone. The cost was $5,000-. I did put a titanium wrap on it.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas

Jasons exhaust has no drone. Sounds perfect both outside & inside!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think a Boston ear is more "sensitive" than a West Texas ear.

Reactions: Iconic GT and JWZ

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
HA, I was simply commenting that there are frequencies that do light up the car, and its louder than stock in the cabin. Hardly negatives to me. I tend to keep the car RPMs in that range, as I like the increased noise. As mentioned before, highly recommended.

I think a Boston ear is more "sensitive" than a West Texas ear.

Eduardo Menasce

GT Owner
Dec 27, 2018
Rye, NY
Thanks a lot gentlemen.
A lot of good comments
First time I hear about this exhaust brand
I think I will give it a serious consideration
Assuming the car is delivered end of summer I am thinking of inviting whoever is interested and lives nearby to come and see the delivery of the car.
In addition I could bring some other cars - some Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Maserati, and of course the Fords.
Also for those who are interested,we do drives from Rye to about 40 to 50 miles in the surrounding areas.
About 6 times a year.
If anyone that lives nearby just send me a message and I will contact you.
We do drives on Sunday morning, leave from my home in Rye, at about 7 30, we drive north mostly back roads, we stop for coffee etc. have a good time and then back.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
HEFFNER, HEFFNER, HEFFNER!!!
I have it and absolutely love it!
The sound is simply stunning and it is titanium with titanium tips. The factory titanium exhaust is not titanium tips. Not to mention it saves 35 pounds, the transmission runs cooler because there’s no big cans back there just pipes. My only recommendation is to get it ceramic coated. This is the same pipes they use on the MKll . A lovely sounding set up! Do search on the forum. I posted a video with sound

Attachments

• A6D9A284-0F68-4571-A470-CA4B10D61986.jpeg
    A6D9A284-0F68-4571-A470-CA4B10D61986.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1
  • A7E7CB8C-0B6B-481F-9C72-97DEF43102F7.jpeg
    A7E7CB8C-0B6B-481F-9C72-97DEF43102F7.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 1
  • B8DB80AE-A01C-48C1-92C7-1F14CDC28844.jpeg
    B8DB80AE-A01C-48C1-92C7-1F14CDC28844.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 311954EB-4168-43F5-AFC6-37893B1B1C19.jpeg
    311954EB-4168-43F5-AFC6-37893B1B1C19.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Eduardo Menasce

GT Owner
Dec 27, 2018
Rye, NY
HEFFNER, HEFFNER, HEFFNER!!!
I have it and absolutely love it!
The sound is simply stunning and it is titanium with titanium tips. The factory titanium exhaust is not titanium tips. Not to mention it saves 35 pounds, the transmission runs cooler because there’s no big cans back there just pipes. My only recommendation is to get it ceramic coated. This is the same pipes they use on the MKll . A lovely sounding set up! Do search on the forum. I posted a video with sound
I learned that from 2020 on the Ford GT comes with the Akrapovic exhaust system straight from the factory

Reactions: roketman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That is indeed true, but its pretty quiet.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I learned that from 2020 on the Ford GT comes with the Akrapovic exhaust system straight from the factory
Doesn’t hold a candle to Heffner’s