Advice on 2013 GT 500 purchase

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello

Looking for Forum members advice on getting a 2013 GT 500 as a fast alternative to my stock low mileage GT. Car would be used for mainly street use driven at the track once a year, like the coupe Black with stripes and the 821A motor, Racaro seats option.
Not sure about tire choice (G2"s are sticky enough?), is car cover worth $500.00?
Acceleration is important compared to GT, hopefully faster

I did read DBK's review from May wondering if since then there are any suggestions, preferences, anything to look out for?

By the way list price in Toronto area is $61,699.00 Can.

Thank you
Steve

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Get the track pack option. Read this months Motor Trend.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
If you want to seriously enjoy your next mustang at a track venue, I would favor the less expensive Boss Mustang. Not as much brute force as the '13 GT500 5.8L and the Shelby is most likely quicker on a straight line, but as Ron has said the Boss has the edge in a 20 minute duration track session. And the Boss is very nicely balanced vs. the GT500. And I have owned and tracked an earlier GT500.

But as Frank will point out I am biased towards the Boss.....

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
Had lunch today with a group of retired FoMoCo engineers. One of the chaps showed up with a red and white 2013 Shelby GT500 convertible he had just acquired. Parked it along side my red and white FGT. We attracted quite a lunchtime crowd and cameras and iphones were clicking away. The Muatang is an awsome machine and as I looked it over I wondered how long it would be before some one here on the forum would be dropping that 5.8 liter engine into an FGT. RB

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Not really worth the effort/ cost IMO, since the current 5.4 can be modded for much more power than stock, for much less money. True that you can take a 5.8 and mod that for even more power, but for a far greater cost...

For 12k in bolt on's, your 5.4 can safely get deep into the 800 WHP range...with no real downside and you're not running it on the edge either. I did it and am almost done. Just sayin'

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Agreed on the likelyhood of the swap.

Since the GT500 is not meant to be the track star, I wonder how many will get glass roofs?

Steve, how did the move and draft go?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for asking Michael! My kid went 2nd round/ 48th to the Blackhawks...and we just finished the move today. Draft was amazing, move was a huge pain. LOL. I did however get to drive the GT tonight...and that put a huge grin on my face. Good news is - is that I don't need both lifts...as the garage holds a plethora of cars on the ground - garage space is no longer an issue. Meantime, this insane security system just woke me up and turned on every single light in the house in the process, from a false alarm...guess we have some tuning to do. :)

Also ran into a 1200 mile Blue/white GT here tonight at the local watering hole...owned by someone who is NOT a member of this board. (He must be one of the very few - LOL). 200 something GT's in Canada and 6 of them right here in a suburb of 6000 people, go figure...

Going to move into that GT Guy intake and get up over the 800 WHP mark very shortly!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The shocker here is that your old garage/shop was not enough! :lol

You will have to post pics of the new soon.

Congrats on the Blackhawks, Sheesh, he has got to be good! :thumbsup

Keep me posted on the GTGuys.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Double Congrats on the Blackhawks! Hope he can score, we need it!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks - I'll let him know! LOL