Advice for new owner please

jackj45

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 2, 2008
Charlotte
I have to take my GT to a local dealer next week to get the state inspection done. Car is a 2006 with 2400 miles, I bought it from a dealer and am the first to title it, have had the car a few weeks, no problems so far except nicking the chin spoiler the first day I had it- my fault.. I think the dealer here in Charlotte, NC I would use is OK, but I'll ask some questions when I get there.

I also need to
1. remove/replace chin spoiler (I have ordered and received a new one).
2. Change oil (it was changed 1000 miles and 8 months ago)
3. Install short shifter (purchased as first mod)

I have the tools to do the jobs (I have researched on this forum the procedures) and a 4 post lift that is capable of getting the car over my head. I am not worried about the cost, only the quality of the work. My skill is average, have always worked on my cars but not one at this price level.

So I can take the car to the dealer and have all three done, have some combination of them and myself do the work (including delaying the oil change, but I am kind of anal about oil changes), and would like thoughts on the relative potential for screwing something up....which I am certainly capable of, or taking the chance at the dealer.

Thanks in advance and love the car and the forum so far.

Jack

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have personally done 2 of the 3 now on 2 different cars (have not changed the splitter, but that looks super easy)

Just take you time and use blue tape when you remove the center tunnel to protect the radio, to get to the shifter.

I would say go for it all your self, as it will better allow you to learn the car, and enhance the ownership experience.

And WELCOME!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
By all means DIY whenever possible. The shifter is fairly rudamentary (but do use lots of protective tape on the console and adjacent parts); changing the oil and replacing the front splitter are quite simple procedures. Welcome aboard .....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Welcome Jack - PM sent..... the FGT is really easy to work on... you would be surprised. Hardest part is realizing it's just a car - not a Ferrari (no offense) where you have specialized mechanics.....

One person (Cimax) even changed his own clutch after 56k miles before heading to Cabo from San Diego on a three day round trip! :rofl

Chin spoiler 8-12 bolts, Short Shifter - 3 hr's and a lot of tape!

Oil - removal of a billion belly pan screws and a big oil pan to hold 12 quarts!

Stop by if you want to do the work yourself..... :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome Jack...
Did you visit the GT Registry above?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I do my oil changes. That way I am sure the torexs are not being cross threaded, etc. Also gives a good chance to look at stuff, clean the stones off the belly pans (they are rock collectors), etc. Doesn't takethat long.

Best item to get is that Checker Auto (by many names across the country) sells a square, green oil catch pan that is only a couple of inches tall. It is perfect fo the GT, and will fit nicely between a ramp (or floor) and the car, and is enough capacity that there are no issues. It is an invaluable item. Get that and the nose sucker (from Walgreens baby care stuff) for pulling out the oil, and you are set.

Here is a link to the change procedure.

Go down a couple posts from the top on the last page - I posted about specifics of the procedure.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744&highlight=filter+change

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Absolutely do it all yourself. Common hand tools are all you will need. Splitter is a piece of cake. Hardest part of the oil change is removing both underbelly pans, (lots of screws). Short shifter is pretty simple, just take your time. If you haven't seen my DIY thread on the install, here it is: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6203&highlight=short+shift
Good Luck!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I said it before, I'll say it again, get a shop manual.

jackj45

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 2, 2008
Charlotte
Thanks

Thanks to all of you. One easy one down (spoiler) maybe two to go....the instructions and response on this forum are wonderful. Lift helps

Maybe manuals in the future although I don't think I'll be changing transaxles. ...

Jack

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey MAD, where are putting 12 quarts of oil? Mine takes 9.5. Jack, after you change oil, remember startup procedure. Push gas pedal all the way to floor and crank it unitl there's oil pressure. The procedure is well documented here in old posts.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Oil - removal of a billion belly pan screws and a big oil pan to hold 12 quarts!

Pan to hold oil - not put 12 in Frank... :biggrin

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
follow steps exactly or it will roar to life.

Hey MAD, where are putting 12 quarts of oil? Mine takes 9.5. Jack, after you change oil, remember startup procedure. Push gas pedal all the way to floor and crank it unitl there's oil pressure. The procedure is well documented here in old posts.

There has been numerous mistakes with this step!!

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Welcome to the forum.

If you have not done the oil change yet, you may want to get your oil tested to see how the engine is breaking in.

A member on the forum by the name of Fubar (as well as I) have had our oil samples sent out for analysis by a company named Blackstone Laboratories.

(There are other testing labs, but Blackstone is the one I have used for 3 tests on my GT now).

Fubar was trying to get a database of info on how other member's engines have been wearing as they get the miles on them.

Blackstone will send you the sample return kit free, & the cost to get the oil tested was $22.50 plus postage.

I think the testing is a good idea, good info on oil condition, & cost is minimal. I have had my other car also tested a couple of times. my 2cents worth...

Casper

jackj45

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 2, 2008
Charlotte
Just an update-

After talking to the dealer, the service advisor, and the technician I decided to let them change the oil. The tech was the only one there that they let work on the GT's, and they have serviced about 6 of them. I asked about the priming procedure which he knew well, and a few other things to make sure it would be OK. They have a special area and lift for the GT, I am picking the car up today and will let you know if anything is unsatisfactory.
They are also a Saleen dealer and seem to have an appreciation for higher end cars. .

I will probably do the next one, but time and schedule got in the way and I wanted to get it done. I hope I made the right decision, we'll see.

Thanks for all the input. I hope the next communication is positive and this event uneventful....

BTW, it is amazing the attention the car gets, even just sitting in the service prep area.

Thanks

Jack